Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-19-2004, 8:49 PM Reply   
Well Folks the summer had such great potential but on Friday it was officially cut short. I broke my fricken toe skimboarding and am now SOL for the next six weeks. Thankfully it stays nice here in CA but right in the middle of July is pretty hard to accept.

***Note to self....skimboarding sucks nuts!!!!***
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-19-2004, 8:54 PM Reply   
no way, a broken toe cant keep you from boarding can it??? Ive messed up my toes... as painful as it is, let it sit for a week and see what ya can do! Dont sell the summer short, you wont resist boarding
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-19-2004, 9:05 PM Reply   
Yeah, what a pussy, I was hoping for a grizzly story of how you wrapped your leg on a tree while doing a OSM540

A broke toe......gimme a break.......you win the award for "Lame injury of the year"

(Message edited by rson on July 19, 2004)
Old     (bradzass)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
dude one of my mates messed up his knee hardcore not long ago but still went wake boarding.. a broken toe is nothing.. toughen up..
Old    edward            07-19-2004, 10:11 PM Reply   
broken toe won't end your summer dude. i dislocated/broke my wrist snowboarding this year popped it back in then snowboarded for a couple of hours after. then i also continued to skateboard about a week after that happened. just wait till the continous pain stops (which it probably already has) then suck it up and board!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2004, 10:22 PM Reply   
lemme break your toes...and we'll see how much riding you'll do.
Old     (sbboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-19-2004, 10:25 PM Reply   
Rich, what a nice guy you are. Give him a break. You ever break the big toe? SHHH
Old    norcal_99            07-19-2004, 10:34 PM Reply   
Duct tape
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-19-2004, 10:59 PM Reply   
WOW! Don't be a bitch take some pain medication and go out and ride. I rode with a seprated shoulder that I needed surgery on and a broken foot. I seen pro's ride with toren ACL's. And what you aren't riding cause of a broken pinky toe, Lmao
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2004, 11:00 PM Reply   
wow. you're one hell of a tough guy! dumb as a mothaf'in stump, but wow, you're tough!
Old     (skerzz)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-19-2004, 11:44 PM Reply   
Dude one time I got hit by a car and broke both my legs, my arm, and 7 ribs. The next day I went out and wakeboarded. NO ONE IS AS TOUGH AS I AM. I AM THE TOUGHEST PERSON EVER.
Old     (bradzass)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2004, 11:47 PM Reply   
come on... a broken toe, I did it when I raced MX and still raced..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2004, 11:51 PM Reply   
wow...another tough guy!
Old    jonnyrotten79            07-19-2004, 11:57 PM Reply   
yea one time i got hit by a train and broke all my bones and i rode in a full body cast and i still went out and rode u guys are all pussies compared to me

lololololol hahahahaha yea right
Old     (skerzz)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-19-2004, 11:57 PM Reply   
not as tough as me though! because I am the toughest.
Old    jonnyrotten79            07-20-2004, 12:02 AM Reply   
lol hahahaha
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2004, 2:36 AM Reply   
I am the toughest...let me tell you. once I got bit by a dog. he bit my arm off. so i went to the hospital but on the way got in a car accident and got paralyzed. so there i was, paralyzed without an arm. so i drug myself by one arm to the hospital by myself. when i got to the hospital i found the emergency room and drug myself in with one bloody stub. the nurse looked at me and saud suck it up, the doctor will be right with you. then she kicked me in the face since i was already on the floor knocking my teeth out and my jaw out of place. so there i was, no arm, teethless, jaw out of place, and paralyzed. once the doctor saw me he told me i was a pussy because he said he saw a guy last week that broke his toe! i was like, holy sh*t. no way! his toe! OMG! i felt like such a dumb@ss. there i was, in the condition i was, complainingm while some other guy had a broken toe, selfish me. needless to say i immediately called my friends and went out wakeboarding that night for a late nite session. i felt so stupid, but thought that all u should know. and yes, i had several drinks tonite, so be nice.
Old    wakechick            07-20-2004, 5:47 AM Reply   
Wow, you guys are harsh. Have you ever stopped to think about how you wakeboard? You use bindings, and to get the bindings on is not usually a super easy task. Not to mention when you ride you are constantly landing on your feet and putting pressure on your toes. Add a broken toe and it makes it that much worse.

Although I don't think that Stephen's season is over, I think you should all cut him a little slack. Have any of you actually broken a toe? It might seem minor compared to an ACL tear or whatever, but it's still an injury. For those of you who claim to ride so soon after an injury, you sound more dumb than tough in my opinion
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
Just curious, how many of you guys have actually ever broken a bone in the foot?

I did it 2 years ago, and believe me, the last thing you want to do is try to stuff it into a binding that is alread too freaking tight to begin with. Stephen broke his big toe, you know the one that leads the way when you are kicking ass. Steve was kicking ass this year, and now he's a little bummed that he's gonna miss out on some prime riding time. Give him a break.

Those of you who still feel like dogging him about this, I just picked up a new 6lb sledge hammer & need to test it out. We can kill 2 birds with one stone, and then see who the real pussy is.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
Wakeskate barefoot? Atleast you could do some surface spins and stay in shape.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2004, 6:50 AM Reply   
I think I broke my little toe last Sunday. I jammed my foot in my boot real fast like I normally do and felt a sharp pain like a knife between my toes. I pulled my foot out and looked at it and stuffed it back in but it hurt like HE double hockey sticks. Rode for a while longer and then decided it was time to quit for the day because of the pain.

It's been sore since then. I think my little toe caught the rubber and got bent backwards. Anyway I'm hoping it will be fine by Thursday nite for some riding after work. It doesn't really seem all that bad. It's probably not literally broke as in broken bone, but it feels like I kicked something and jammed it.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
Rich...you don't look so hot on that Wakesurfing board. Try catching a wave in the Pipeline you pussy!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2004, 6:57 AM Reply   
I'm sick of all these people talking shiz about how tough they are cause i bet your a pussy!
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-20-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
I dont know about the comment about pros boarding with a torn ACL. I tore mine a couple weeks ago and just had surgery last friday. I cant move it for now but Im sure that will come back in a couple weeks. Then I face the dilemma. Do I ride again this year or listen to the doc and wait a whole friggin year. Ive already given up on wakeboarding this season but I dont want to miss out on snowboarding too. Ill trade you for your toe injury in a heartbeat.

By the way I tore it doing a friggin heelside 180 (over rotated). I had been working on my inverts and I it up just doing something stupid so be careful everyone.
Old    crowe            07-20-2004, 7:18 AM Reply   
Its a bird, its a plane, no its.......VICODIN!!
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-20-2004, 7:22 AM Reply   
I guess before my surgery I think I easily could have wakeboarded but dont know if I would have tried any big air. But then again, Im not a pro.....yet. ;)

My name is Mike Gwin and I also am a Vicodin addict.

Better living through chemistry!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-20-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
beat mine, I rode the next day!!!

(Message edited by rson on July 20, 2004)
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-20-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
Way to go Jeff! I got your back.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-20-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
It's kinda funny to see the folks i consider my friends in the wakeboarding world up here stickin up for me. Jeff, Bethany, Joe you guys rock. Bethany saw me hobbling around the Irvine stop both days, that sucked. As for me being a big puss, well the Doc said if I don't allow it to heal then I could end up screwing up my stance & how I walk. I'd rather take 6 weeks off(the absolute max) than screw up the rest of my wakeboarding/walking future. As of yet I haven't taken a single painkiller, same for when I broke my ankle, so suck it. As for what Jeff said, I was having a great summer & was looking forward to sticking my OA 5's this weekend, I'll just have to wait.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-20-2004, 6:48 PM Reply   
Wow Jeff!!! YOU are the tough one!! dang boy, I didn't know that was in ya!!You ROCK! Come out on the backwater next time those idiots are back there, and could you puleeeez bring that sledge hammer??
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2004, 7:05 PM Reply   
ive broken both of my feet one in gym class haha i trppied and rolled my ffot and the other last year snowboarding but there ok now
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-20-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
Rich is a leper!! run away run away!!
Old    saxosham            07-20-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Although it sounds like a minor injury it can actually be quite painful (speaking from experience). When I was 14 I was being chased around the garden by my brother whilst wearing my dads rubber boots which were about 3 sizes too big, next thing was, I tripped and due to the extra room in the boot I fell over my big toe and managed to break it. I recall this was not extremely painful at the time, but when moved or used the pain would flare up. So I can imagine what it would feel like trying to get in or out of bindings, give it at least 6 weeks and take it from there. Anyhow good luck on the recovery.
Old     (oldschoolripper)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-20-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
I broke a big toe one time, and for anyone who hasn't had this happen to them STFU because it hurts like all hell. You have absolutely no idea how bad it hurts to put pressure on it, nor how much your big toe helps you balance. I have boarded with a broken hand but would'nt even consider trying to ride with a broken big toe. Just my 2 cents. Hope you heal fast bro.
Old    franks21            07-20-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
im gonna have to go with Rene and the duct tape solution it solves anything. Yea that is a bitch breakin your toe. Try takin some serious advil and then u wont feel annythign hope it heals soon
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
Ahh Rich that picture is sick. Skimboarding is alot of fun if you know what your doing.
Old    combat_wombat            07-20-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
I don't think all of you bashers realize that you pretty much use your big toe to do everything ever. Just walking normal puts a great amount of pressure on it. Don't your heads get heavy with all those rocks up there?
Old    skippy            07-21-2004, 2:42 AM Reply   
Stephen,
I know just what your talking about, I broke my metatarsel (foot bone) two weeks ago (nice spiral fracture, which means that the bone has basically corkscrewed) the worst thing is seeing my friends riding. I'm thinking, "a quick go on a wakeskate won't hurt" Oh yes it will..
Your spot on, I'd rather be out for 6 weeks than bugger up my foot forever. I'm lucky my girlfriend is a Dr at the local hospital, I was in and out in 10 min (For those of you with a dirty mind i'm talking about the x-ray and diagnosis)

word of advise go out to your health food shop and stock up on Calcium and Vitamin D. I'm on 1200mg of calcium a day. Should have that bone stronger and healthier than ever before.

all the best & speedy recovery..
Old     (bradzass)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 3:02 AM Reply   
dude, it just sounded a little pussy on your first post saying your summer is over because you broke your toe.. I have broken mine in an MX race.. sure its painful but I don't think your summer is anywhere near over..
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       07-21-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
I've ridden with broken little toes, torn ACL, cracked ribs, and a huge gash out of my hand. That was stupid. Stephen = smart. Don't worry about them flaming you, I'm sure it has got to hurt a lot. I couldn't imaging getting into a pair of bindings with my big toe broken, and you are better off listening to a doctor then some idiot kids on wakeworld.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       07-21-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
Actually I agree with Brad, for some of us our summers were actually over before they began.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2004, 10:04 AM Reply   
I guess I should take solace in th fact that I live in California & my summer won't really be over until November. Skippy, thanks for the vitamin advice, I think I am going to hit that up!
Old    buttacup            07-21-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
Aaawwww Stephen, sorry to hear about your toe, but you'll heal fast I'm sure of it. Wanna road trip up my way and be my wakeboard coach?
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-21-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
haha, too many slapdicks on this board. anyway, sorry to hear about the broken toe, that sucks. I'm just writing because i'm hella bored and stuck in bed because i just had surgery on my right knee... torn ACL. Sadly, my wakin season is done, and most of my snow season. simply tragic. but yeah, i feel ya on being sad about losing this prime water time mid season. I still take the boat out on the wknds and let my friends ride and pay for the gas. at least i can drive and play music! keep ya head up, spread the love
Old     (bradzass)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-22-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
skippy hey..
Old    grampawakerider            07-22-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
I wasn't gonna read this thread till I noticed Stephen posted it. He's local to me and though we haven't met, I feel bad for his toe. Slammin' him for not boarding cuz of his toe is just uncool. You're not there and don't know the extent of the break, or the toe involved. That being said though, on the surface it would be easy to dog one out for not riding due to a toe injury since in most cases taping them together would benefit the rider. However, Stephen - take care of the toe and go come out swinging in August. FYI - I'm not a real tough guy, but probably stupid. I dislocated my shoulder last Friday and was back out riding on Sunday.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-23-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
If this was about Shaq he would sit out half the season. So Stephen sitting out for 6 weeks isn't sh*t.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-23-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
Haha Shawn, that's great! now we can dog the big fella & send Vlade praise, oh jesus... Well good news my toes feeling better everyday, I can almost wiggle it, it feels like it wants to. I was thinking about wakeskating this weekend(3 day Havasu trip) but have decided to completely leave it alone for at least two weeks & concentrate on my beer consumption. Mark, thanks for the kind words easy on the shoulder, trust me it's not worth screwing with a shoulder.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-23-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
When you recover, tear it up for me Stephen. Doc says I cant board for a year (torn ACL). Injuries suck....I hope at least you have a cool girlfriend making up for it in BJs :P
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2004, 7:30 PM Reply   
Hope it heals up, I dont think I realized its the big toe which is a lil more severe, but give it half that time and you'll be shredding like nobodies business again, toes heal pretty quick... if you allow them to do so---------> stay off that sht, cuz walking is gonna cause it to swell even worse but Im sure you dont need me to tell ya something you already know
Old    live2wakeboard            07-25-2004, 8:42 PM Reply   
hey rich wat happened to ur hand? like did u do that wakeboarding or somethin else