Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (vols423)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-29-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
Ok guys, I'm new to this site and need some advice and opinions. Looking to buy my first boat and am wanting to make sure that we can surf and wakeboard. Will be pulling tubes on occasion too. I have a max budget of about 90k. I would like to stay in the mid 60's to low 70's. I have looked at moombas and supras thus far in person. REALLY like the looks of the supras but don't know that I need all the gadgets that they have. would be nice but is it really needed? Haven't test driven anything yet and to be quite honest I am a little overwhelmed with all the different products and features. Have a family of 5 and will have an occasional friend or three to tag along. So I think between 20-22ft will be sufficient for us. I see where guys on here talk about the "perfect wake" and how they load all the ballast and its a little over my head. All im looking for is to be able to surf and wakeboard and spend a great day on the lake with the family. Not looking for pro style wakes and all that but I do want a boat that will be sufficient in these areas. Do you need a boat with a 'surf system' on it just to be able to surf? Do you have to add extra ballast to the standard set up if so? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (Tnsatbhs)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-29-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
You don't have to have a surf system like swell surf gate or Nss to surf, they just allow you to evenly weight your boat when you surf. Without them you will need to weight one side of the boat a lot more to list it. It is possible to surf with stock ballast but most people prefer some extra weight when they surf. With a lot of the boats now it is pretty easy to add some extra weight right on to the stock system. Look up plug and play systems to get an idea about that. Those are nice because they work off the stock system and stay out of the way. Good luck on your boat search. They're are plenty of awesome boats out there especially with a budget of 60-90k. I just ordered a new Malibu 23LSV so feel free to ask any questions about that.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       12-29-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
Honestly if you're looking for something without all the gadgets I think you're budget is way too high. You should be able to pick up just about anything you want all at or below you're ballpark. I'm not a brand specific pusher so I can't recommend a single one to you. Normally when someone has a very limited budget and specific needs it's easier to narrow down the playing field for them.

You have the luxury of being able to look at anything you like $$ wise. It makes it harder for people to help you.....and often leads to a full spectrum of recommendations which is useless to you.

Pretty much like my whole response LOL.

The only thing I would say is that it's cool that you're simply looking for a 20-22 footer based on the size of your crew and not looking for overkill. I would look for something with a wider beam so it will feel bigger than it actually is. That why I love mine so much. I feel like I have the best of both worlds.....a 21 footer with the seating of a 23.

I really like below the floor ballast. It gives you tons of extra storage space for gear, and makes it easy to add extra ballast without taking up too much space.

Good luck.

Last edited by bstroop; 12-29-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       12-29-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
Well you've got a lot of options in your price range.

You don't need a "surf system" but if you have a mix of riders, regular and goofy, then having a surf system is unbeatable!

Check out all the brands. Boat shows should be in full swing soon. I've been in and behind a lot of boats... nothing has impressed me more than Nautiques. The 210 is a boat well within your price range, especially if you buy used, 2012 or 2013. The NSS (Nautique Surf System) is an awesome feature and can be put on 2012's and newer models.

Have fun shopping!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-29-2013, 1:37 PM Reply   
If you want a great boat that surfs well in the 60s and 70s you should check out the axis line. No fancy stuff but good solid wakes for doing everything.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-29-2013, 1:48 PM Reply   
Since you are new to inboard boats I would purchase from a dealer that is near by and trust. Any 21 or 22 foot V drive boat will easily fit your needs. Dealer support should be your number one priority.
Old     (vols423)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-29-2013, 4:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for your guys comments. There is a supra/Moomba dealer close that I really like. Think I will stay with one of those two models.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-29-2013, 4:21 PM Reply   
Yes, pretty much all solid advice from the people above. Your budget allows lots of options, only limiting a few of the high end larger models.

Definitely, check out a local boat show, if possible. Cost, is not only electronic bells and whistles, most higher end boats are built better with better finishes. Surf systems and automatic ballast systems, make your life real simple, which sounds like what you are looking for, but no they are not necessary.

You might first decide if you want a standard bow or a pickle fork style, then start narrowing from there. Lots of boats out there, and really a lot of good boats out there.

Finding objective opinions about boats can be difficult. Supra/Moomba make some great boats. I am very impressed with their new hulls.

Nick
Old     (Tnsatbhs)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-29-2013, 8:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols423 View Post
Thanks for your guys comments. There is a supra/Moomba dealer close that I really like. Think I will stay with one of those two models.
Definitely a good idea to go with a dealer you like as well as a boat you like! I am sure you will find a sweet boat. Having a good realtionship with your dealer is key especially if you are going to be relying on them for service. That was one of the selling points when I ordered my boat.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       12-30-2013, 5:07 AM Reply   
Look at the Moomba Mojo 2.5 it's a great boat with all the features you need without all the fancy bells and whistles. You can still get GPS cruise (important for tow sports and your wife or gf trust me haha), factory ballast system around 1,800lbs which is plenty for recreational use, and it's a 22 1/2 ft boat so plenty of room for the family. Both boats are built by the same company (skiers choice) and they put out some great product. Supra is a nice boat as well but it's their upper line so if you're not looking for fancy touch screens and all that, plus you like the dealer, go check out a Moomba Mojo 2.5
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-30-2013, 8:20 AM Reply   
^^^ what he said. I think you will really like the Mojo.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-31-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
I agree with the comments above. We ride a Mojo 1/2 the time and it's a great boat that can do it all for a good price. Lots of room, lots of storage, great wakes and not too many gadgets. It would also come in at the bottom of your budget so you could buy some good gear to go with it (boards, ropes, tubes, etc...). Plus it's a good looking boat too. I bought a brand new Moomba in 08 and put 400 hours on it in 4 years without an issue so I believe in the quality of these boats as well.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-31-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
A MB B52 23V will come in at the same ball park price with some extra's STANDARD over the Mojo, zero off, wet sounds, pump less 2300lbs under the floor ballast, 350hp with knock sensors, spring loaded tower, and a pro level surf wake. If you are close to 200lbs it's all the difference in the world, yep I'm a shameless pumper so don't take my post to heart, just read the PB reviews. I even like the idea of your budget you could go up to a 450hp, bling it out with LED's tower speaks etc. and still be under 80
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-31-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
If you'd like to have a killer wakesurf wave, good wakeboard wave and have the highest freeboard (distance from water to top of boat) with tons of interior space, I highly recommend checking out Ski Supreme's new S21 model or their V226. The S21 is new for 2014 and is a smaller version of their V226 (which is actually a 21'6" boat),and has one of the best wakesurf waves 'out of the box' that you will find. It has some nice amenities but won't break the bank. The new S21 has the 'quick fill' ballast system and will add 1000lbs in 45 seconds or so. Plumb a surf sac into the back compartment and you'll be good to go!

If I were shopping for a new surf boat (and I am...can't wait for my new Enzo this Spring!), I'd make sure I NEVER had to put sacs on the seats or floor...EVER. It's lame, it takes up space and it's just unnecessary these days. The biggest point to make about either of these boats is they both have a DEEP V-HULL. Not only does a deep V help make a better wave (as they say, "there's no replacement for displacement"), but it's much more stable in rough water. You'll be crushing past your friends in Tige's and Nautiques when/if the wind and waves kick up! Most boats out there have flat bottoms and then they add on the gimmicky "surf systems" - I surfed a fully loaded Malibu 24MKZ this Summer with Surfgate and was SO happy to get off that boat and back behind my V226. It was sad, it barely had any push and 'crossing over' from one side of the wave to another is not all that it's cracked up to be. I'm actually going to miss the size of the V226 bow and the freeboard, but they tell me the Enzo has the best wave out there!

Here's a few search results for you to check out!

2014 Supreme S21 - http://www.extremeboatsports.com/new...0-pickle-fork/
2014 Supreme S21 - http://www.dennisdillonrv.com/new/Su...2eca774858.htm (low $60s)
2013 Supreme V226, fully loaded - http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...SURF-101863975 (you can get this boat in the low $60s, I bought mine from the same dealer!)
2013 Supreme V226 - http://calmarinesports.com/2013-supr...er-silver.html ($54,995!!!!)

Last edited by ReSession; 12-31-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added some more words ;)
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       12-31-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
Yup... It always comes down to someone bashing another brand. LOL
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-31-2013, 3:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by F725 View Post
Yup... It always comes down to someone bashing another brand. LOL
My bad - I did toss out some stuff that may been a little too opinionated but certainly wasn't meant to bash (but reading back through I guess I could have left out that part!).

There's a good amount of discussion of the surf systems in this thread and I misread that he was looking to surf more with this boat, so I wanted to provide a comparison of a boat with one versus a traditional (and affordable) listing boat like the Supreme S21.

As a new buyer, I can definitely see how confusing it would be (and I would likely fall for the surf system pitch...but knowing the difference after surfing both, I'd likely have buyer's remorse buying a boat with a surf system). I'll try and stick to the topic in the future, best of luck on your search

Last edited by ReSession; 12-31-2013 at 3:27 PM. Reason: added more words
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-01-2014, 6:01 AM Reply   
Greg, you posted on a true experience and based your opinion on that, I think it is perfectly fine to do so, we seem to have a lot of butt hurt and I guess it's par for the course. Pictures, videos, and true experiences can be helpful and informative, I just hate it when guys post " brand A is better than B but I've never been on B.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-01-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
I've never surfed a supreme but I did wakeboard behind one at a provincial contest last year. The general consensus amount most of the advanced riders was that the wake was below average. No one really liked it, but there were still some pretty good runs thrown down. When the kids rode it was tough to keep the wake clean without going too fast for them. Interior was pretty nice though. If I was buying boat just for surfing I might look harder at these but for all sports it wasn't on the top of my list.
Old     (vols423)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-03-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for all your input and opinions. I kept coming back to the supra. I found a 13 launch 21v that was a hold over. It has the worlds package and in my opinion is absolutely beautiful. I think it will be a GREAT boat to start out with and I was able to stay way under my budget. That's always a plus. Anyway, I actually bought it today. Dealer was awesome in helping me out. That played a big part in it.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-04-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
pics...