Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       12-25-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
We have a lake on Lake Tulloch in California. The water level is extremely low do to dam repairs and weed control, I am guessing. It happens every 7 years is what I am told. Anyways the metal pylons are completely exposed and I want to paint them. I need advice on what paint to use. Brand, title of paint, what it is called or any advice you might want to pass on. We bought the house 3 years ago and the neighbors are of no help since their homes sit on wooden pylons. This is fresh water, not blackish and will be underwater for the next 7 years.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       12-25-2012, 6:23 PM Reply   
I ment home on Lake Tulloch. Sorry. Speed typing.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-26-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
I have not heard of people having to paint the supports for the homes but. I'm guessing like any time you paint somthing that is going to be exposed to harsh conditions the prep work is key, I'm guessing you have steel supports and they are rusted. So stripping them would be a great start and then applying a anti rust material like a product called "navel jelly" it will help kill the rust. Then apply a coating that's what like they apply to the bottom of salt water boats or some rhino lining type of material.

I would talk to the local expert on this subject Merl Holman call and ask him what to use or do
His number is (209) 402-7160 he installs all the docks and dock supports ect
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       12-26-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
To prolong our liquid storage tanks we have them coated with a product called Carboline Phenoline 309. It protects the steel from many different chemicals. It would be over doing it a bit. But knowing you.... it might be what you are looking for.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
Salt water boat paint is probably not the best paint since most are sacrificial. I would speak with at a local supplier like Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore for their suggested and warrantied products and do a internet search for a specialized manufacturer. I would believe most your biggest problem will be at or near the water line. I would also look at transient current and consider some "soft" fresh water type sacrificial anodes.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       12-27-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Most of the dock builders around me now build docks with metal and concrete. They use a red oxide primer/paint on everything metal. Everything gets painted at their yard and then they just touch up in the needed spots while they're putting the dock in. From what I've seen, it holds up pretty well. I know of a few docks that are now 15 years old and the stuff is still there, but it is starting to rust a little. If i was going to paint it, i would coat it with Ospho first and then paint.

I work for a utility company and we have 6 dams with the oldest being in its early 80's. We've spent the last 15 years or so taking things apart and refurbing them so I've seen exactly what lake water does to things that sit in it. if your dock sits on drill stem or similarly thick pipe you won't be around when it rusts through. The worst parts are those that sit in the splash zone (just above the water level), stuff in the water doesn't rust near as much as you would think.