Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-31-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
So, my wife and I just got our taxes done, and we owe a butt load of dough. Double income, no kids, no mortgage, enough said. We need a tax shelter, and we would both love to have an RV much more than dealing with owning rental real estate. We would buy our own place, but that's a long story, and I won't bore you with the details.

I want to start looking for RV's, and would like to know your opinions. Below is what we would like.

- Class C, maybe Diesel pusher (depending on cost)
- The Kodiac looks great for a Class C.
- Needs to tow a Malibu easily. I don't want it to bog down at all.
- Atleast one slider
- Size can range from 26' - 33'. We don't need anything larger, since we do not plan on having kids.

I heard the best place to buy is an RV show. True?? I'm guessing Fleetwood may have some great prices since they filed chapter 11.

Thanks for any input, and photos!!
Old    pdxWAKE.com            03-31-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
#1 The interest on the Motorhome is the only thing that is tax deductible. That will not equate to that much money and you need to spend money to make that happen, so make sure you are doing your math.
#2 Class C's have a Van front so yes you can get a diesel, but not a pusher. It will have to be a diesel puller. A Diesel Pusher is usually on a class A with the motor in the back.
#3 The problem you will find with MOST Gas Class C motorhomes is they only have 3500 LB towing capacity. With a Class A 5000LB + is pretty standard. You can get a Class C with a Diesel motor, but be ready to spend some cash (like the kodiac)

What are you willing to spend and I can help you some more. RV's are like boats. You can get a good deal on them anytime of year, but you will have to spend some time and negotiate and make sure you get what you are looking for.

Good luck... We used to use a really helpful RV forum. I think it was rvforum.net. People really know there stuff, just like everyone on here knows their boats.

(Message edited by tyler97217 on March 31, 2009)
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-31-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Probably what you are looking for.

http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/four-winds-kodiak-class-c.aspx

Lots of room - 1 or 2 slides, I think, Duramax/allison combo - 30k GCWR
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-31-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
Mike, remember you are going to pay out $1 to save $.23 not a good savings plan. I would look into REIT investments or other type of tax shelter. I noticed you said owning a place would be nice, but don't want to bore us with the details. If you one the RV only the interest is a deduction, but if you own a vacation rental that us use sometimes you can write off so much more.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
Or buy the motorhome and flee to another country and avoid the taxes all together.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-31-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
You need to set up a personal business/side job....one that loses money every year but is fun for you.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-31-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
We know it's not the best decision, but it's one we are looking into right now. The business thing is a good idea. Maybe I'll start thinking...

Anywho, I think $60-80,000 is a good range. Is it too much to ask for to find a Class C or A in that price range (after negotiations), around 30'-32', that will tow our Malibu? Yes, I know it probably is!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-31-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
I have seen some nice class A pushers in that range. Now is a great time to buy. You may have trouble finding one with a slide in that range though. Any A pusher will pull your malibu fine.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
If you're looking at 30'-32' I'd step up to a class A. C's will tow, but are usually struggling somewhat. (Kodiak excluded)

We used to tow with a 30' Apollo class A back in the '80s with a 440 Dodge in it, and it did OK, but the long grades were slow.

Today's diesel pushers are awesome, and I'm sure there are deals to be had in this economy.
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-31-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
My friend I grew up with lived across the street from me. He bought a class c built on I beleive an e350 chassis. It was a 32 ft with 2 slides. I pulled my vlx and had zero issues. I really didnt notice much strain at all. Of course if you're in the mountains or hill country, you may have more of an issue. All I know it a 32 ft camper plus a 21 ft boat makes for a hell of a rig going down the highway. We looked into campers and had our eye on a kodiak style class c. The salesman at the RV place was trying to talk me out of a kodiak, saying it would be overkill for pulling a small boat. Also he made it a point to say most class c's were gas due to sharing a fuel system with the generator. I beleive for the most part a diesel engine will require a diesel generator which will require more money.

In my opinion if you can afford it, buy a camper. It was sweet to pull up, hit the button and put out the slides and turn on the ac while everyone else was messing with tents and bugs. However I would not try to do it as a tax shelter. In the long run its like a boat. Its great fun, but you are going to end up spending some bucks in payments and maintenance. If you want a solid investment, but real estate and rent it out for a couple years while the market recovers. Then sell it for a profit and buy a 40 ft bus conversion. I've found it usually doesnt worj out when you try to use your recreational pursuits as an investment opportunity.

By the way, congrats on working your ass off and putting yourself in a position of owing money to the goverment.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
Quote: "By the way, congrats on working your ass off and putting yourself in a position of owing money to the goverment."

Hummm, I've owed money to the government every year for the past 35, and I never thought congratulations were in order.

...actually pisses me off every year
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-31-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
wow that kodiak is money.

ps, I,ve had this wallpaper for quite some time now
http://www.monroetruck.com/GM/images/kodiak14_1024x768.jpg
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-01-2009, 4:26 AM Reply   
Do I like forking over the goverment a 1/3 of my income? Hell no. I figure I can either pay the goverment or they can pay me. I just dont see that many people on welfare owning wakeboard boats. However Im sure there are a few but we wont open that can of worms.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-01-2009, 4:27 AM Reply   
I have had a 40' DP for 6 years now and the extra lenght is not an issue. I tow trailers, cars and my XStar. I even launch with the motor home. The DP in the rear is the way to go. Its so quiet up front and the power is to die for. There is so many advantages of the longer DP class A's over a class C, its hard to write them all down. Send me a PM after 10 years of RVing were going to selling ours. It has a huge slide and its going to sell for around your top number. Just getting it ready to list on the net.
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-01-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
I tow with a 31ft class C. Jamboree GT. It tows just fine. I tow an XLV. It is also used for my business and for what I spend a year on this unit I deduct about 3 times that in tax savings. The drawback is like any other investment you need to upgrade when you are "zeroed" (spelling?) out.Upload
UploadWe have it for sale ready for the next one. Good luck in your search.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-01-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Heck I tow sometimes with my 26' 1986 Austin Class "C" Motorhome. She's got a little 350 and on flat ground pulls my VLX no problems, come to the hills and sometimes we have to get out and push! lol Its not that bad, but it would be nice to have more power, but for a $1,500 motorhome(thanks Gramps) thats all they offered him trade in and its super clean it works perfectly for us!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-01-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
Lets see pics of that bad boy Paul!
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-02-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
Thanks a lot guys. While I'm shopping around for RV's, I'll also be thinking of a small business to start up.

Paul, 40' would be entirely too large for us. Good luck with the sale. Holy moly, that would be a 63' rig with the boat.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-02-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Doesn't matter what you buy it will struggle on a big hill boat or no boat.
Diesel helps a lot though
Old    pdxWAKE.com            04-02-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Keep in mind most gas Class C motorhomes only have a 3500 lb tow hitch on the back... many reputable dealers will not put a 5000lb or bigger hitch on it cause it is over capacity. I have seen a few Class C's that have them though.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-02-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I think I would only wanna tow with a Kodiac Class C!! I haven't seen many A classes at 30'. I just may try to Google that right now.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            04-02-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
There are a bunch of 30' Class A motorhomes. They will be Gassers, but check out:

Fleetwood Southwind 32VS - We had one and it is very easy to launch a boat and great living space. 8.1 Workhorse motor

Winnebago Adventurer 32'
Fleetwood Flairs are under 30'
Winnebago Sightseer are under 30'
Old    pdxWAKE.com            04-02-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
Can't find pics of the old 30' Apollo, but this is what it looked like

Imagine this thing towing a 21' tri-hull bowrider over the grapevine Brings back memories

It was actually a very nice coach for it's day...

http://jalopnik.com/5073120/1970s-apollo-motorhome