Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-17-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
Here they are
image/x-jg
125-MurrayBoots.jpg (8.5 k)
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-17-2005, 11:24 PM Reply   
They look like the 2005 obrien boots and that closed toe design looks kinda sketchy.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-17-2005, 11:28 PM Reply   
looks a lot like the cast the person will be wearing when he/she breaks his/her toes on the closed toe.
Old    penny4urthots            08-18-2005, 2:07 AM Reply   
can't view attachment, how come?? i think I am retarded possibly.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-18-2005, 6:13 AM Reply   
look skertchy. i couldn't imagine slamming my toes into the closed toe after a jump could feel too good. they lost my a sale to me sor sure.

(Message edited by madchild1 on August 18, 2005)
Old    xtremrider            08-18-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
The only thing that seems like a plus is cold weather riding. In the dead of winter i can wear a drysiut, gloves and mask. THat will keep me nice and warm, all accept for my TOES. There is the fix.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yeah....uhhhh. I kinda think it's a joke being played on everyone by Hyperlite. Hmmm, if we build some really stupid looking bindings with a really useless gimmick can we get a bunch of posers to buy 'em.?.?

I'm sure they'll sell a bunch, but it's not going to be to me. I think CWB is gonna take a big bite out of HL this year.
Old    chavezychavez            08-18-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
At least they look better than the "other" closed-toe bindings we have seen.

Again, this concept will not work unless they offer individual sizing. You don't buy shoes in sizes XS-S-M-L-XL for a damn good reason.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-18-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
Those would probably be good for winter riding, they would keep the toes protected from wind chill.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
I like the looks, but this is coming from a O.G. snowboarder turned wakeboarder.

Even ~ what about LF. They have two closed toe boots this year.
Old    r_dub            08-18-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
My biggest concern with all of these closed toe bindings is, how well are they going to drain?
Who wants a boot full of water!
Old    propayne            08-18-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
just think. if all of us wakeworlders are asking these questions and assuming these scenarios, what makes you think hyperlite hasnt thought of them. if we are thinking of them, im sure the professionals who have been making these bindings for more then a decade are thinking of them as well. and besides, snowboard boots are closed toe, not many break toes in them. and the Closed toe wouldnt really limit size range either, if you are in a L bindgings that limits size from 9-11, you could be wearing size nine. the close toe is just going to keep less colt out and give the rider a different feel. maybe it is a gimmick, but it is a well thought out and designed giimmick i am sure
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
I disagree.... Like Chavez said: snowboard boots don't come in 4 sizes for a reason. When you look at different people riding wakeboard bindings you see that they fit all people differently. The only way I can see those working with generic sizing is to make the toe piece extra big and stupid looking to make room for a variety of foot sizes.

I too am concerned about the way they drain. I know when I use lube to put on my bindings I make sure to move my foot around in the binding to work all the excess lube out.

Ant.... Not too sure about the LF designs either. I think they are really stupid looking. They are going to make you look like you have huge feet. I think the snowboarders are really going to be mocking wakeboarders now.

I agree about the winter thing, though. It would be nice to have warm toes. Anyway, just don't see myself buying closed toe bindings anytime soon.
Old    propayne            08-18-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
thats true evan. the only way the toe pieces would work would be to make them huge. did not think of htat.
Old     (fyrdawg)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thats not a binding, its a boot. They look terrible; besides the fact that broken toes equals to no riding!!!! IMO!!!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-18-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
I CANT SEE THE PICTURE!!! can someone email it to me. I have tried viewing it with Firefox, IE, and Safari.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-18-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
www.wakeboardingmag.com

There's a link on there with a pic.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-18-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
thanks
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-18-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=38333
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-18-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
I'll reserve my opinion until I at least see a pair in person. Hard to judge from a picture.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-18-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
"In the past there's always been exposed hardware, so if a rider ever rips an overlay or wants to fine-tune the boot, they'd have to assemble the hardware and reassemble the overlay. Now with our new warranty, regardless of what you rip or break, we've got a brand new boot. It'll be the first time that we've ever not done a normal repair. It's now only a replacement.

No more overlay's???
Old    griffdizzle            08-18-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
im skeptical about the closed toe as well but if you read the description it calls it a sock. maybe its an elastic material that goes over your toes that would not be strong enough to break your toe but still adds support for a snug fit? just a thought.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
J-Rod, I agree. I wanna see em and try em in person. Could have potential.
Old    sammc_11            08-18-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
If I got them, I would just cut the closed toe thing out. Then you wouldn't have to worry about hurting your toe or anything.
Old    mendo247            08-18-2005, 7:37 PM Reply   
Yeah hyperlite sucks.. they are always copying every one else.. now there just tryin to get me to by these boots so i can break my toes and never ride again...they havent helped out with the progression of wakeboarding at all over the years...hyperlite is single handling destroying everything good about wakeboarding..just another stupid gimic!!....... AND YOU KNOW ILL BE FIRST IN LINE TO BUY THESE BINDINGS CAUSE MY TOES WILL BE NICE AND WARM IN THE WINTER AND I TRULY BELIEVE WITH ALL THE RESEARCH HYPERLITE DOES THEY WILL BE A GREAT BINDING!!! ESPECIALLY IF MURRAY IS PUTTING HIS NAME ON THEM...dont hate!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-18-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
I don't get the broken toe thing? how many of you put on shoes on a regular basis? do you break your toes then?

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
don't you buy shoes that fit your feet? are your shoes strapped down on something?
Old     (mishaplr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
Wow, lots of talk. I have tried on the Murrays and the new Shane boot. Both are pretty trick. As for broken toes they are made of neoprene and spandex so it stretches like snowboarding liners. I am not going to say that everyone should buy them because both LF and Hyperlite have some pretty nice stuff for next year. Sorry for my two cents.
Have a nice day.

Lenny
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-18-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
wouldn't the person buying these buy ones that fit? hence no broken toe?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
they come in 4 sizes; s, m, l, xl. shoes come in what, 20 sizes?

let's not forget the bottom of your feet slippin' forward since your feet are wet.

don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, but unless they make specific/accurate sizes, it won't be a great idea.

(Message edited by dakid on August 18, 2005)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-18-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
I can't think of a time where my feet have gone out the front of the boot since perhaps hyperlite powerboots. maybe you all just have too skinny of feet!

of course i have no intention of replacing my '03 zeus anytime soon. they are perfect for me.
Old    aceofspades            08-18-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
It might be a good idea, you never know until you try it
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
tim, maybe you simply don't go as big as i do.

BAHAHAHAHA! just kidding man! just keep in mind, just cause it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it won't happen to the next person.

no intention of replacing your '03 zeus? have you seen/tried on the '06??? i've hated past zeuses, but damn, the '06 are bad ass!
Old    mendo247            08-18-2005, 9:05 PM Reply   
I bet anyone who is worrying about there foot slipping forward hard enough to break there toes is either riding the wrong size binding or a bad design... im picky with fitment on my bindings and in 4 years of riding have never slid out the front.. but then again ive always worn highbacks or belmonts...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
fyi, my feet slipped forward in these bindings;

parks
belmont
high back
moon boots
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-18-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
only slipped forward on old moon boots if your slipping forward you need to get a smaller boot i was wearing lg parks for a while then i went to medium parks i have a size 10 foot the parks were way tight when i first got them put them on and soaked my feet in a hot bath of water and they molded to my feet and fit really snug but not to tight try that.
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
dont the pros test this equipment out before the factory starts making it though? i agree with the sizing thing, but i dont know if Murray or Shane Bonifay would ride the gear they designed or helped design if it didnt work. These guys have been riding these bindings for a while now i'm sure and we havent heard of any Pros w/ a closed toe signature boot with any broke toes. who knows, it might be a gimmick and in a year or two they go back to all open toe boots. In the mean time, Anyone remember these?
http://wakeworld.com/Boots/FullTilt.asp
Old    tcboarder            08-18-2005, 10:39 PM Reply   
Joe, it may sound bad just hearing little rumors about them but i got 1st had info for ya, I had the pleasure to go out wit sum people from LF the other day and i was talkin to them about the new closed toe boots and they arnt gonna just come in s,m,l,xl anymore. they will be more size specfic. it will be something like 5/6 7/8 9/10 and so on. the point of the closed toe is to help make a more solid feeling boot, for a more true feel.
if anyone wants to know anymore just let my know i chatted about the 06 stuff for about 3 hours wit them.

(Message edited by tcboarder on August 18, 2005)
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-19-2005, 5:38 AM Reply   
k-dud,

Tell us about Shane and Watson's new boards.
Old    mendo247            08-19-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
like i said if your sliding forward your wearing the wrong size boot..sounds like norm has got some good advice...
Old    tcboarder            08-19-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
I dident hear anything about shanes new board. but watsons is sposta be really sweet with like a gucci print on the board that can only be seen in sunlight. its sposta match up perfictly with his new bindings. basicly every board is sposta have a binding to match it very well. so lookin a the shane boot that someone posted i bet the shane board will be really bling bling lookin.
Old    socalgrl79            08-19-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
Too.. much.. to.. correct..
My heart hurts :-(

Old    griffdizzle            08-19-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
I have slid forward in the 04 parks and the 03 belmonts. I wear a size 13 or 14 depending on the shoe. Both of these bindings were XL, I was actually contemplating getting the XXL. My toes hang over the edge a bit on the XLs so there is no way I could wear larges. Granted, I do have narrow feet but I always cinch them down very tight. Bottom line is that I'm wearing the right size boot and I still have slid forward on occasion. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesnt mean others are doing anything wrong because its happened to them. It just depends on how hard you ride, the way you fall, your foot shape, etc.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-19-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
was there all this debate in the sandal era? im switching back.
Old    xxchaosfactorxx            08-19-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
Hey Dave!

Ya! man I actually still have those around. They were the first of many bindings I started on. I orginally had them on a Fulltilt Weddington 139!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-19-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about the hyperlite stuff, but like tcboarder said, the liquid force boots will come in more specific sizes like a shoe. and the purpose isn't only about keeping your foot in the binding (and not out the front) (and I don't even know that that's what truly inspired the design), but I guess it helped significantly with edge control. Whatever, "I'm just telling you what I heard." Obviously, everyone can make their own decisions on how lame/not lame/rad/not rad this style of binding is.

Old     (purana182)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
I have had the murray boot on my foot and is rediculously comfortable. Didn't get a chance to ride them but am only counting the days. Not telling anyone on hear they are good or bad, just letting you know that for my foot and the size i put on it was really comfortable but again i have no idea how they ride. The people i have talked to about the new LF boot also said it was extremely comfortable so maybe that is what the close toe is doing, just giving more comfort but who knows?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-20-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
How would closed toes give it more comfort?

Old    xtremebordgurl            08-20-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
I was lent a pair of those full tilt closed toe bindings a year or so ago at a Malibo boat demo, they were actually pretty comfy, except the bottom was really hard, had it been more plush I would have bought them off the guy. They did fill with water but then again so do the neoprene boots I wear when winter surfing, wasn't really much of a problem, except for making the boots heavier. But if you're worried about the water draining all you need to do is drill a whole or two in the toe and that will solve the problem. I dunno, I think it will be intersting. Also, I thought those white bindings were Harf's signature boot for next yr?
Old    baileysmith            08-20-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Anyone else here had a broken toe before? I had one before I learned to wakeboard. They suck cuz most the time they can't do anything but tape them(unless they're sticking out of the skin or something, but I'm not gonna go into that).

These bindings sound really nice, apart from the broken toe thing. If I ever get the opportunity I'll have to try them. (...unless I hear anymore about broken toes, of course.)

HI GEOFF! (I'll type louder so you can hear me out there in Cali!)

-Bailey
Old    rideawakeboardr            08-20-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
SoCalrider the closed toe part is made of spandex and neoprene so it forms to your feet and toes kinda making it more comfortable. they're spandex! i mean, when was the last time spandex broke your bones?

-josh
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-22-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
anyone ever hit their toes on a slider? it dont feel that great.
Old    mendo247            08-22-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
well im sure you guys ride way harder than me.. that must be why my feet never slide forward..i guess it had nothing to do with hours in the tub adjusting my bindings.....