Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-29-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Ok so I have to replace my car, and I'm currently using my dad's tacoma 4cyl to tow my 180 horizon. It does the job just fine except for not having enough traction off the ramp and its a stick so its even harder. Plus its a base model so it only seats two people and 3 uncomfortably. So I have a huge commute, 55 miles each way and I love road trips so mileage is a concern since I get 30 mpg in my dub right now. I have been looking at tow vehicles and it seems that the new rav4 v6 awd would suit my needs great. (Yes that is where i will get slammed hahahah) Anyone towing with a small vehicle like this?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-29-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Your boat is a fairly light I/O with most of the weight in the back so you can probably get away with a smaller/lighter tow vehicle than most. That said I don't thing I would tow anything with a Rav4, I believe they are based on a Toyota Celica chassis?

Figure out how much you are spending on gas annually. Compare that with what you would spend on a new motor/tranny/brakes etc on an undersized tow vehicle. I would look into some mid size SUV like a 4runner, Pathfinder, Trailblazer, etc.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-29-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
i was thinking about the trailblazer but with a v6 that puts out 180 hp i kind of laughed because the gas mileage sucked too LOL. I'm a mechanic so the brakes dont bug me plus my trailer has trailer brakes. I figure if the 4cyl tacoma doesnt have a problem and it is 2wd and only has like 160hp that 268 hp shouldn't be a problem. The tow rating is the same on the tacoma, rav4, and the trailblazer. I'm still checking out the market and trying to hold off untill next year to get the car. The other thing is i need awd for the snow, it doesnt snow much here in cali but when i go I hate putting chains on
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-29-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
I think you only need a 3500 lb tow capacity so there are many cars, and light trucks, and minivans, that can handle that. The Rav4 only has a 2000 lb. capacity, or there about.
AWD is a major plus so it's worth looking at.

(Message edited by rallyart on April 29, 2007)
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-29-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
rav 4 with v6 and tow package which includes upgraded radiator, tranny cooler, etc is 3500.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-29-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
The trailblazer has an Inline 6 and puts out around 275 hp. I have towed an 18 foot I/O with mine and it pulled it fine. My 20 foot Sunsetter was a different story, you could definitely tell it was back there.
Here are the stats on the 07 Inline 6 Vortec and it states 291 HP http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/trailblazer/2007/4200_en.jsp
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-29-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
My brother pulled a 16 foot outboard with a 67 hp VW diesel Rabbit, not vary far and not very fast.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-29-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
The problem with the Rav4 is the short wheelbase more than the obvious power and brake limitations. Towing with a short wheelbase vehicle is no fun, think bucking bronco. I have done lots of towing with Jeeps and a 78 Ford Bronco (the box). Both really get pushed around by the boat, big tires only makes the issue worse.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-29-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
I would agree with the wheelbase being an issue, at some point the tail begins to wag the dog. I had to swerve off of the road one day because a guy coming towards me pulling a trailer with a Wrangler had lost control. It wasn't a boat trailer either, it was a small utility trailer.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
honda minivans are great... we have an 03 with a v6 thats rated at 250 hp and put an oil cooler on it, it could probably handle most anything.
it usually gets around 20-25 mpg
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-29-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
not too bad. I guess the figures i saw on the chevy were not the recent ones. YEa i was a bit worried about the wheel base but it is almost as wide as my tacoma. In the end I am going to rent tha suv i want to buy and stick a tow hitch on it LOL see what it is like in real life. I just wish my last chevy didnt give me as much trouble as it dide. plus the mileage was exactly what the trailblazer advertised but good luck g etting anything over 16mpg not towing on the highway hahaha
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-29-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
Are looking at getting a brand new RAV or an older one? Why not just get a used Tacoma or 4runner?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-30-2007, 12:48 AM Reply   
I was thinking of getting the brand new 07 rav. the rest of them arent up to the task of towing. I have a tacoma now, i need something that seats more people and gets good gas mileage. Plus i never buy used, too many problems, always had decent luck with a new car.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
I'd recomend a 3/4 ton diesel for a rig like that.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Just kidding..... I bet the RAV 4 would work fine. We used to tow our 18' I/O with my dads Mercedes 300d. It wasn't ideal, but those are light boats.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-30-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
What about a 4 banner Toyota Tacoma, 4 door? Tell your friends to drive themselves to the lake.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-30-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
hahaha 4 banger doesnt come in 4 door or else that would be ideal and super sweet. either way still the same tow rating as the new rav
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-01-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
dude, no offense, but everyone here is trying to talk you out of the rav4 because they think there are better options out there for you and you keep coming back at them with excuses. Personally, I would get a couple year old 4 runner. With you being a mechanic and all you shouldn't have to worry about issues that a couple year old car will give you. If its the rav4 you want, as it seems since every idea is shot down towards the rav4, then please get one and never look back. However, the rav4 is not known for its towing ability. So if it tows, then great, but not ideal.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-01-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
I'm just super happy with my tacoma 4 cyl, kinda bummed they dont make it in 4 door. I might just get a 4 runner and use it for towing and get a new camry to drive. i dont rely on used cars so for towing only it would be fine LOL