Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-18-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
Anyone know anything about these? I need one for my stereo badly.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-18-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
The first thing everyone will ask is, What gauge wire do you have running to your amps?

I have a 4 gauge run going to each amp. I still installed 2 caps the other day. I'm no expert by any means. I just figured that for $80 a piece, what could they hurt? I figured that I probably don't need them most of the time, but they might come in handy when the Batteries start to drain, and they're struggling. Guess we'll see how it goes.
Attached Images

Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-18-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
Capacitors are nothing more than a storage device, somewhat like a battery. They are made to discharge all at once. I think if your batteries are very close to the amplifiers they are useless, but that's just my opinion.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-18-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
That's what I thought. I have 2 batteries for the stereo, but they live all the way in the back by the engine.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-18-2010, 9:45 PM Reply   
For the OP, What makes you think you need one badly if you don't really know much about them?
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-18-2010, 10:06 PM Reply   
bawshogg, This is for my car, not for a boat. I have problems with the headlights dimming when the sub hits. I was looking around on crutchfield and that's what one of the capacitor's description said it was for. I'll have to check what gauge wire I'm running, but the amp that it is being used here is a 600 watt amp if that helps at all.
Old     (shadow7874)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
regardless of what you do, be careful. Capacitors can easily store enough energy to stop your heart even if you have had it disconnected from a battery for a while. Best bet is to do it right and get a good alternator and batter (or more then one battery)
Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       04-18-2010, 10:30 PM Reply   
How much power are you running? This sounds like it could be a ground issue. A lot of time a good ground is overlooked but it is just as important as a good power wire. I was only running a 400 watt rms amp in my car and having the same problem. I beefed up my ground wire from the amp to the chassis, added a ground from the battery to the chassis and grounded my deck to the chassis. The wire was much cheaper than a capacitor and fixed the problem completely. If your 100% sure your ground is good and your lights are still dimming check out the BatCaps from Xsatic. I just got one for my boat and it is really bad ass. Basically it is a battery with the speed of a capacitor. The 300 Batcap is equivalent to 100 (1) farad caps.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-18-2010, 10:34 PM Reply   
shadow, it's 12V. That's not gonna stop a heart. Furthermore, extra batteries in cars with moderate systems is a waste because the extra battery is for reserve time, and still draws from the starting battery when the key is on if it's installed right. A capacitor may help in some cases, but a GOOD battery in the car would also help.
Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       04-18-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
All I am trying to say is there is a TON of stuff out there. Do a little research before making a purchase. By the way the batcap 300 is smaller than most capacitors so it would probably save space, if a capacitor is even needed for this application.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-19-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Do a serach for "big 3 upgrade". Make sure they are all sized/appropriate and then buy the cap if your still haveing problems.

A cap is just a band-aid to fix a dimming headlight problem.
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-19-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
I'm only running 600 watts to my sub if that matters at all.