Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Mc prostar ,Last time I was out, pump didn't suck and temp guage pegged while leaving ramp, Tide went out while trying to solve problem (see bent fins). Anyway took out impellar , it's perfect, replaced, sucks good, but the slight weep from the pump is worse,Went out today but it ran poorly pump is driven from nose of crank, could it be the thin mist of spray from the crank effin up the plug leads? Runs ok up to 3000 but ropey after that & v smokey on idle. Any ideas? is the seal on the pump an easy fix.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-08-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
Holley Carb?
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2010, 1:30 AM Reply   
Yes Holley with tendancy for secondary float to stick & overfuel, usually cured with a thump.

Is this my Problem?
Old     (nschimm)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-09-2010, 3:46 AM Reply   
When was the last time you had the carb rebuilt?
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       04-09-2010, 5:33 AM Reply   
I don;t think the carb would start acting up after overheating. I'd be looking at head gaskets.
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
Holley Carb? Correct for ten points.

Vac secondarys were jammed, I think the bad running was just wet plugs from stuck sec floats.

Topped out at 4200rpm about 40+ mph, powerslot.

Now I need to work out how to get the rusty pump bolts out of the crank.

That's the sea for you.

Do people paint their engine mount adjusters to stop rust, or cover with grease?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-11-2010, 9:46 PM Reply   
I ride in salt too, and I paint just about everything apart from the heads, carb and alternator, gotta admit I don't know what an engine mount adjuster is.

Rusty bolts, lots of WD 40 and some good luck although I bet you knew that already.

Glad you got the carb sorted out.
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2010, 2:55 AM Reply   
Out for a few hours yesterday,ran great but after running back to the harbour wot 50mph, the idle wouldn't drop lower than 1500. went down to about 1200 while flushing. Blocked jet or what?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-12-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
Check your throttle cable and linkage, alot of time the cable itself will stick and cause high idle rpms.

Also, on those stuck bolts us a good penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench (My Favorite) or the old mechanics concoction of ATF / Acetone mixture (the best). Either of those work much better than WD-40.
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Ran great today, High idle at start but settled down, I now think the problem was sec butterflys slightly open< pushed them down with a screwdriver while flushing and idle dropped to 500. Happy days.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-12-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
check your linkage between your two butterflies then. The secondary should be forced close completely when the primary closes. Which means that If the secondary is staying open, so is the primary. This could be due to a vacume or mechanical problem on the carb.