Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (kimm)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
i learned to ride last summer and i'm ready to buy a board. i tried an 07 LF trip, CWB 07 Sapphire and Lotus. Overall the Lotus w/ the hinge bindings felt best, but i have been checking out the new boards for 09, hyperlite eden and syn, LF luna, Obrien vixen and ronix as well. Any suggestions or opinions?

as far as bindings go i like the hinge, my foot seems more secure and doesn't slide around....but what's the difference between open toe and closed toe bindings?

i know more guys than girls that wakeboard and would like a girl's opinion, thanks!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-17-2009, 5:10 PM Reply   
Hi Kimberly and Welcome! This is a great sport and if you are anything like the rest of us here, you will be hooked for good.

It will be great to get your own setup. It makes such a difference to have something that is suitable to your needs and has the bindings adjusted the way you like them.

I see you are in Sacramento - perhaps there is a board shop there that will allow you to demo a board when you narrow your decision down a little. The other gals may chime in, too.

Here's my couple of bits of advice:
1) Don't limit yourself just to women's boards. Yes, they have pretty graphics but sometimes a different shape is better for you. If you are just starting out I love the Hyperlite Motive - but maybe your board shop doesn't have Hyperlite.

2) I put most of my money in my bindings. It is like getting a pair of shoes for work. If they are cute but don't fit good the whole day stinks. You should be able to try them right in the board shop. Once they are on reach down and touch your toes, lean forward, back and side to side a little to see if there are any rubs or pressure points. Boots have come a long way - and there is new footbed technology out there that looks interesting. Pay attention to where you want padding and support. I like a lot of padding in the foot, not the arch, a lot of hold down on the top of my ankle but more flex on the sides of my ankle. Everyone has their preference.

3) Don't be worried about buying last years model - they are often just as good as the current years. Also, don't be shy about asking for a deal. If you buy bindings and a board they should be able to knock a few bucks off of list.

Have a blast and keep us posted. There are a lot of super nice women on this part of the forum. We are all at different places in our abilities. We all sympathize with one another and support one another through the fun. Get a picture this season and post it up!
Old     (kimm)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2009, 8:54 PM Reply   
hey thanks for the info. there are a few shops here in sacramento but not that many. i will definitely try some more boards if i can before i decided to buy one. i do have pics from last summer i will post them, they aren't much though.
i am definitely hooked and was riding every weekend on the delta last summer.

so do you have closed or open toe bindings?
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-18-2009, 5:48 AM Reply   
I have open toe but I've had them for about 4 years - prior to the "invention" of closed toe. I think I will demo closed toe this year and will likely get some with a new set up. Everyone on my boat has closed toe and loves them. I think they become increasingly important when you start to do bigger tricks so that your foot can't slide out the front if you take a digger. Some people think that it really helps connect your foot to the board, too. When my BF tried closed toe for the first time he commented that you can't believe how much your toes were moving around until you try a pair of bindings where they can't move.

Good luck on your decision!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-18-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
Of the boards you listed, I'd suggest you at least try to LF Luna - it's the same shape at the PS3 which I used to ride, and it is awesome! really poppy with soft landings and pretty easy to control.

I agree the bindings are at least, if not more important than the board. It's really hard to tell how they'll go when you try them on dry though. I bought 09 LF Melissas this season, and they felt nice and firm when I tried them on, but on the water i had a heap of heel lift, and my feet would slip forward. I actually put my left foot through the binding on the weekend, so I refuse to use them again....
They aren't a bad binding, but they don't suit my foot and I couldn't tell when I tried them on - so, my point is, if you can ride in some boots before you buy them - do!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-20-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
kim my name is kim and we are always looking for peops to ride with us. Hit me up this summer! We ride on the delta.
Old     (kimm)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-20-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
thanks for the invite! i will definitely email you when it gets warmer!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-22-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
I had the 08 Obrien Vixen and it was an okay board, but honestly the bindings were the problem. They kept coming undone. It was something about the lace latch. I sent them back once and got new ones but they did the same thing. So everytime I rode, I felt unsafe in them. I now have LF Melissa with Amber Wing bindings and those bindings are NICE and feel great! Bindings do make a difference.

I since then have relaced my obrien bindings and they are good to go, but that board is just for friends to ride on now.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-22-2009, 10:50 PM Reply   
Great advice Liz... and Kim, it's ok to mix up brands. What's important is to get what you ride well with. Bindings are most important like Liz said. Look on this site for demo days at your local area. They will start having them in a couple months and it's a great way to try different boards and bindings. Also, Liquid Force puts on a girls learn to ride day called Mavens Sessions. All info will be on their website. Have fun...and welcome!!

Sup Polhamus!!!....are you up for a week at Schwennes camp this summer??? First week in June???
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
It's very important to stick with 3 stage or continous whichever you learned on. Cause I effed that up for 2 years, rode 3 stage and bought a continous. SUP SoCALI!! Schwennes dunno, maybe one day. I am a poor Dental Assistant waiting to get into the nursing program, so cross your fingers for me! I apply again in Febs. I can barely afford wakegames!!!
Old     (erbear)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-24-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
kimberly-
i just got my first board last summer. got the liquid force melissa. I absolutely love it! anywho i am in vacaville but ride on the delta loop atleast once a week in the spring/summer if ya ever want a pull
Old     (psychowakechick)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Kimberly-
I am also a new rider, learned last season... I have a CWB Sapphire and I love it! I am also from the Sac area, live in Cameron Park. If anyone is looking to ride on Folsom Lake or the Sac River I'd love to meet up sometime! My husband and I are always looking for a third!
Old     (jenjen)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-16-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
Hi everyone! I also just moved to Sac area and am a new rider. I have been out about five times and would love to meet and go out with you all! Thanks!
Old     (kimm)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-19-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
has anyone heard about any demo days coming up in the sacramento area or surrounding areas? i am anxious to demo and get my own board!
these past few days have been so nice, I am anxious to ride!