Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
I have a 05 Supreme V208 with the Skylon tower not sure of the name of the tower. For 2 years since I have had the boat I have had nothing but problems with the tower swaying back and forth, choppy water is when its the worst, the out come of this is the rubber mounts that are between the tower and boat get pushed up and out of place. I have sent it down to LA to the Skylon dealer once were they added a 3/8 bolt threw the center of the front mount, before I sent it down there the back mounts were the ones moving. When I got it back I took it out again and now the front mounts are moving and pushing the rubber mounts out. It is now up in SAC at the Skylon dealer there for the same problem and all they have done is replaced the rubber mounts and told me that the bolts were too tight, which is funny since there own guys did it. They also told me that part of the reason it is moving is because of the speaker box I have on it which is 6 6x9 speakers in a fiberglass box. I think this is BS because I know I have seen alot of other boats with this same speaker box but with a different tower usually a Pro Flight. At this point I am tired of it and want my money back so I can put a Pro Flight tower on it ,which I should have done to begin with. My question is does anyone have any suggestions or dealt with the same problem and if so what did you do to fix it? Thanks.
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine had/has a similar problem. It is with the tower that sweeps almost to the back seats. The rubber slide away from the mount on both front sides. The bolts also stripped out on the rear.( where you fold the tower down. the tower actually hit his girlfriend. She was ok. The also said it was due to the speakers (4-6x9 box & 2 wetsounds 80s). They said the bolts were too loose and tightened them. The boat has been to the MFG twice so far, I think. It does not seem to be a very good design.

They did fix it at the end of the summer. We'll see how it holds up.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
Jfree, what did they do to fix it? Which shop was it? Thanks.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-24-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
Anybody?
Old     (grantline)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-24-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
I had the same problem with my last boat. The tower also came apart while boarding. I tried everything but welding the bolts. I had to tighten the bolts were the tower came apart to fold down at least 3 times a day. I think the tower is a bad design and that there is no fix.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-26-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Come on there has got to be more people with this tower that either is or isn't having this same problem. Help a brother out. While this isn't actually my boat it's my buddy's boat, but I wanted to help him out and I told him, let me post it on WW cause I know somebody on there will have some good input. So come on guys, don't make me a liar.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Post a pic of the tower and the problems. You might get some more help.

I know you and your buddy don't want to hear this, but in our experience there is probably nothing you can do to fix or strengthen a tower. The problem is in the design of the tower or overloading it with accessories (or a combination of both). Unfortunately, you'll most likely have to lose some of your 6x9's. That is a lot of weight on a tower.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
A friend had this tower on his boat and fixed the problem by having it replaced.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-26-2007, 3:50 PM Reply   
Thanks. I would tend to agree with you jlembas as a design flaw and too much weight on the tower. Makes sense. Just trying to help my buddy out and get him some more input from people that might have had a similar problem and what they did. Take it back to factory, modify somehow, or replace. You know, that kind of thing. Thanks again guys.