Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-07-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
This thread got archived
Take a look at the engine, looks a little beat up. I been looking at this boat for a while now. I have a sea trail friday night. So i let you know how that goes. It has a ton of potential, but it could have a ton of problems. Upload
Upload
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-07-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/688714.html?1240491229Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-07-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
i'm dizzy now, thanks for the buzz.

ask him if you can test the compression. a 94 shouldn't have any wood in the floors/stringers. that's alot of rust for indiana but it can be cleaned up.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-07-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Yeah sorry I am not sure why the pics came out upside down?? Sorry for any head achs.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-07-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Where in Indiana is this? Seems like a fairly rusty engine for its age. I'm guessing it has low hours?
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-07-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Where in Indiana is this? Seems like a fairly rusty engine for its age. I'm guessing it has low hours?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
HEhe, haven't had enough stress in your life yet, huh. Strange to see that much rust in a boat used only on inland lakes. Makes me wonder if it's something to do with the minerals or alkaline levels in the area?

I think I'd have a pro check it out. It might cost you a hundred or two, but might save you thousands.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-07-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
Ask him why they were beating the piss out of the valve covers!

On a better note, that's a HO 285 hp engine in there buddy. It will pull your arms off. right prop and your in business with some weight. The surface rust wouldn't bother me a bit, provided compression test and sea trial went ok. And hrs are under control.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-07-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
what does the compression test do? does it have to be done by a marina or can a auto dealer do it??
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-07-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
I'm super dizzy right now, thanks!

I'd pass, but that's just me.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-07-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
you can do it. the compression gauge screws into the spark plug hole. spin the starter and see how tight the cylinder set up is by the amount of air it squeezes out.

there's a procedure to follow but that's all you're doing.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-07-2009, 8:42 PM Reply   
That has been in salt water, and my guess would be in Louisiana during the floods. There is no way those valve covers and the rest of that motor could be in fresh water all the time. Most likely he bought it from a repo place. Even the trailer has rust on it. I would stay clear of that!!!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
A compression test (or a leak down test is supposedly better) is done to check the rings, valves & head gasket.

I have one of these & have used it maybe 4 times. Pretty easy to do. Just need to have access to each spark plug. Takes me about 2 beers to do it on a V8 in a DD.

But I have to agree.... thats a LOT of rust for never having seen salt water. I think I'd call bullsh*t that.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on May 07, 2009)
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-08-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
The dealer (at least I think it is)who has that boat has had fairly reasonably priced older sunsports listed consistently for a number of years. He tends to have a steady inventory of them, so Cole could be right that he picks them up at auction. Nonetheless, given his previous posts, I get the feeling this one is a consignment. The asking price included a lift. I'd low ball the crap out of this one ($10kish). At the right price, I wouldn't care if it had been in salt.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Good luck on your sea trial tonite.

You could get he HIN & run it here: http://www.boathistoryreport.com/

Kinda like getting a Carfax report on the boat. Might tell you where the previous owners lived.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
Ok first, this is a one owner boat. He lives on the same lake i do. Its been keep on a lift, the main problem is they jsut didnt take care of it. The boat has less than 200 hours on it, but the boat was used, but it did sit alot.
I had friend of mine check the engine out and we ended up haveing to replace the starter due to corrosion and the fact that we snapped the bolt off. WOOOPS. once we did that the boat fired right up. so we took it over to the launch and dropped in to run the motor for a bit and see how it sounded and would idol. As we sat there i noticed there was water filling up the bilge. (YES THE PLUG WAS IN) The water was coming out were the packing is on the drive shaft. Adam Wensink was up for the Ice Breaker and said that that was no big deal and very easy to replace. So I took the boat back to the guy selling it and went through everything we found was wrong with the boat. The guy selling the boat is a Car Dealer and has never looked under the cover. So I walked him through everything and now the boats at the marina getting a tune up, plugs wires, fuel filter, and water eles it needs. My mechanice said that once the engine was cleaned up he thinks it will be a solid engine. PLUS the boat ONLY has 200 hours on it. Good news is ball is in my court.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
What are they asking for it?
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
he was asking 11.5 but sunday i showed him the nada book value and for average retail it says 11,100 and for low it says 9,700 so he is going to talk to the owner again. I going to wait till the marina services everything and then i put in an offer. pry around 8500-9000.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-11-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
And you get the lift too, right? Starting to sound like a potentially good buy.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
actually, i told him to keep the lift, because i found a 4000 lb lift with canopy, motor and solar charger for 1100