Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (cstboarding)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-30-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
The lake I go to only has one ramp to launch. The problem is that it is so slick that I cannot pull my boat off the ramp with my two wheel drive tahoe. I have resorted to using my parents four wheel drive tahoe when I go to the lake, but this is a major inconvenience. Any ideas?? I really don't want to have to buy a four wheel drive just to launch my new boat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-30-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
Is your Tahoe an open or limited-slip rear diff. If it's an open (very odd for a dealer to order) then look at having a Detroit Tru-Trac Diff installed.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-30-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
get a gas powered pressure washer and go clean off the ramp.

or complain to "the authorities" about the unsafe ramp condition...you can't be the only one having trouble. tell them if someone slips and falls there could be liability for whoever controls the ramp.
Old    walt            11-30-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
Try airing down the tires. You might think about going to a bigger tire too.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-30-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Also Make sure there is the right amount of
air in the trailer tires to little it will be harder to pull out
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-30-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
Use your boat to help push to get things rolling. You might need to use the trailer brake lockout.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-30-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
winch on the front end of your car?
Old     (chevychris)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-30-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
also if u do have limited slip acelerate very slowly dont go to fast
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-30-2008, 10:41 PM Reply   
Reagan Jackson (cstboarding) I really don't want to have to buy a four wheel drive just to launch my new boat.

I have a 4wd Avalanche because of things like this. I'd be willing to bet a lot of guys have 4wd trucks for reasons like this.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-30-2008, 11:25 PM Reply   
yep...4X4 Yukon here. love it for tow duty
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-30-2008, 11:31 PM Reply   
4x4 f150. I bet the millage in a similar truck with 2wd is fairly close. And I get to play in mud, get up ramps, get home tonight in snow etc...
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-01-2008, 12:03 AM Reply   
Have you tried the brake & gas trick?

If you brake while accelerating, the differential will put power to both wheels instead of one. If you are going slow, its not much of an issue to drive with the brake on for a short distance.

Note, this is also good for getting a two wheel drive car out of the snow.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2008, 5:36 AM Reply   
sac the truck down
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2008, 5:37 AM Reply   
dupe

(Message edited by salty87 on December 01, 2008)
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-01-2008, 6:05 AM Reply   
All of the above....

I think I'm going to add a locking diff this spring. Kinda spensive tho., but cheaper than a new vehicle.

I go to all sorts of diff ramps all over and i have a 2wd dodge ram. I found that new tires help a little, the rubber has not gotten hard yet, and if all of the above and newer tires dont help, you can always use the ghetto bounce method in extreme cases. Get your buds in the back or on the bumper, have them jump up and down and give it a little gas on the "down strokes", use the boat to help push too. Works. Also very entertaining for the on lookers as well.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Another option is to air down the rear tires (to 15 psi) so they get more traction. The draw back is you have to be able to air them up after you're on the parking lot.

If you don't want new tires or air down, try this trick - use your lowest gear, rock the truck and boat (on the trailer) back and forth by giving it just a bit of gas and let go (rocking back and forth motion), give it a little more gas each time you rock forward so you can build up some momentum. You do not want to give it too much gas to spin the rear tires or you will lose all the built-up momentum that way.

I'd be wary of complaining since they may well close down the ramp if it's too costly to maintain or deemed "unsafe" by some people!!!

(Message edited by kvoman on December 01, 2008)
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       12-01-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
A wider snow tire may help. They have more snipes and voids to help get traction.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
Nick Bigger (nbigger): A wider snow tire may help. They have more snipes and voids to help get traction.

Or maybe just have your existing tires siped?
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-02-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
What tires do you have? I have the Nitto Terra Graplers and I can't get them to spin at the launch ramp.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-02-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Like has been said use your boat to push the truck to get started. You have an extra 300hp there which has good traction so use it.