Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Please do not let this become a boat war, I am looking for some opinions from those that have ridden behind both of these boats and most of all those who have maintained both of these boats. We have fantastic service from the dealer that sold us our X-Star and we are completely comfortable with the dealer and the service department who sell Malibu’s in our area.

When we purchased our 04 X-Star a few years back this site provided a great deal of assistance for myself and for my dad, turns out we made a great decision on the boat and 350hrs later we still love it. We have always owned MC’s but the 2008 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV has been catching my dad’s eye as well as mine.

Our X-Star has the 8.1L, and if we were to go with the 23 LSV we would put the 8.1L in it. As far as the usage of our boat, I am an intermediate rider, (a few inverts and spins) and most of our other riders range from intermediate to beginner. In addition to wakeboarding we also like to foil behind the boat and we like to wakesurf, but creating a solid wake surf wake on the X-Star has proven to be a challenge. Normally we ride with anywhere from 3 people in the boat to 12 people in the boat.

I have come up with a short list of things that we like about the Wakesetter that we could not add to our existing X-Star.

Wakesetter Pros:

Reverse tower (Looks great and I love the fact that it is out of your way when you drive, also the swivel board racks seem very functional)

power wedge, additional bow ballast, rider presets (from what I hear the surf wake is much better and the wakeboard wake is comparable to the X-Star, also the new rider presets that control speed, wedge, and ballast would make the process of switching riders much quicker and easier)

Roomier cockpit (most people like to sit in the cockpit rather than the bow, the nose of our X-Star is roomy but it also takes on a lot of water, even when you are careful)

Obviously the stereo in the new Wakesetter is an upgrade to our existing, but if we were looking at upgrading the stereo in our X-Star we could do that without purchasing a new boat. I think that this upgrade would cost around 25k. Roughly 75-80k for the fully loaded 23LSV and roughly 50-55k trade in on our fully loaded X-Star. To trade from our X-Star to a new 08 X-Star would cost 60k, which is out of the question. No need to upgrade to an 08 that has the same tower and hull as our 04.

After being in both boats I don’t necessarily think that the MC is build any better than the BU. Is the wakeboard wake on the LSV comparable to the X-Star, is the stock surf wake that much better on the 23 LSV? Any thoughts for a guy that has never ridden behind a Malibu?
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-03-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Couldn't disagree more with your comment on the MC not being built better than a BU. read some of these other posts and you'll see why. I don't have anything against BU's, they're good boats, but you see far more older MC's runnin around that are still in great condition than you do old 'Bu's, that should tell you something right there. I don't want to be involved in any boat wars, but I love the 04 X-Star, and not saying you wouldn't be happy with an LSV, but a few extra sacs, and new stereo on the X-Star and I think you'll be happy. you've already got the 8.1, great engine, add on some fly high bags, and you'll be set. unless you're an expert rider, you don't need the monster wake, you're just cheating yourself. It intimidates people, and when you have to drop tanks to let beginners ride behind your boat, you run the risks of burning up impellers. I'm saying stay with the Star, upgrade the ballast, and stereo, and you'll be happy for years to come!!
Old     (bstphen24)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-03-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
It is true that you see more older MC than BU's, but as for today the boats are made equally as well. I would say that if you plan on surfing quit a bit, and don't want extra sacs sitting around, you would be better off with the lsv. Either way you go you are going to have a great boat, good luck making the decision.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-03-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
Not sure about the LSV, but on the smaller versions, no snap-out carpet is a big thumbs down. I also disagree about the build quality.

You have a great boat with the X-star. Find someone to upgrade your ballast and pumps and stereo and you're set. 5-7k will upgrade your pumps/sacs/stereo.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-03-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
I've surfed behind two 23 LSVs. The first one was awful, the second was excellent. The first boat was pulling at a wakesurf contest. The wake was so poor I could barely stay in the pocket.

The second LSV was absolutely decked out, stereo, smoke machine, and almost 3,000 pounds of ballast. The owner was really in to wake surfing and knew how to set up a boat for surf.

The difference between the two boats was ballast and an understanding of wakesurfing and wakesurf set up. Also the lake that the first boat was in was probably in too shallow to make a surf wake.

Good luck, hope you have a good time with the new boat.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
Josh-

I do see more older MC's running around than I do BU's, but after going to the boat shows for the last few years I think Malibu has stepped up their product. I wish that the Malibu had snap out carpet but I also wish that MC would change the nose on the X-Star so it would not take on so much water.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-03-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
i think that you will see more of certain boats in different area meaning some areas will be affected greatly on their purchase of a boat depending on what the locl top guys are using and whats available to them by dealership location and quality. ive been to lakes all around the US. some places you see more nautique, some BU, and some MC. when i first moved up here to norcal from socal, socal at the time was just turning from nautique to MC. and when i got up to norcal the transistion was going from MC to BU. right now up here its kind of evened out between the BU and MC.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-03-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
as far as your question about swapping to the lsv. i personally like the BU way better. i am partially biased because i have spent 90 percent of my time on the water in a BU, by choice not because of any relationship whatsoever. i think that they are deffiantely equally built. i know for a fact that in any lake, river or wherever you ride if the depth of the water is more than 15 feet you will get an excellent wake with the stock ballast and the wedge. fill whatever side your surfing on and the middle tank. get passengers to that side and drop the power wedge down and then 3 clicks back of and your golden. add another 500 in that same back corner and the wake is chest high on me and im 6'1". i do not have any experience surfing behind a x star though
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-03-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
The LSV has the star beat on behind windshield lounge space and wake surf wake.
Funny you have this question, I just made exact opposite move and traded out my 04 LSV for an 08 X-star.
I've had MC's in the past, just ski boat versions, and couldn't be happier moving back!
They are both great boats, but I am certainly thrilled to be back in MC! I do believe their are certain qualities that put MC ahead structural wise. I would work on your MC dealer a little more, it should'nt be 60k more to upgrade to 08. They have made some pretty cool advances to the new star, but it does sound like the boat you have is pretty sweet already.
I will NEVER not have snap in carpet again!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-03-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
unfortunately its an upgrade but malibu does make a mat of the same carpet that is removeable and fits perfectly on the floor of the boat to cover everything
Old     (pendo)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-03-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
Mark, why not get the 247? Can anyone comment on the comparison to the X-star?

As far as sticking with MC, kinda hard when the new dealer in town wants to give you 40K on trade in (and acts like they are doing you a favor) and yet they have a boat one model year newer (used) for sale for 65K ... I like the idea of returning to a traditional bow, as well as having a lot less tower tower (aesthetics) ... as far as build quality ... the older MC's that you see around were built several ownership's ago .... don't get me wrong I love my 06 197 and agree that it has a great build quality ... but it is apparently time to upgrade to a newer tug boat
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-03-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
04 x star repropped with about 700 lb in the rear portside-and surf only to the portside...great surf wake...IMO-better than the 23lsv's I have been behind...as well..takes alot more weight to get the lsv's back in the water..LSV is a great runabout in the larger lakes....and yes the bow is not as prone to wash...Xstar has better board racks & swivel mech...if i was going to go for a new Malibu, i would be getting the Skylon racks that click down like the MC's...sorry bungees on an 80K boat don't float...IMO.
Other than that...either way you are going to have a sweet set up!
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
Going to take a look at the 247 tomorrow. Stock wake vs. stock wake I am curious to know what throws the better Wakeboard wake (23LSV, 247 or X-Star). The 23LSV and the 247 would obviously be equipped with the bow ballast. I know that I can add additional weight, but I hate having all of those bags lying around.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-03-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
i have ridden the 247, my opinion, biggest and best stock wake available. i rode with the power wedge down, ballast full and 8 people in the boat (mind you everyone in the boat was over 200 lbs) but it was the biggest wake i had ridden in a long time. typically i ride about 92 feet of line and 27 mph. i rode this way behind that boat and the wake was over my waist. i could have gone to 110 feet of line and 30 mph no problem. if i could afford a boat there would be no question about getting a 247 for me
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2008, 12:25 AM Reply   
This is not a fair comparison... if you are looking at the BU in the 23-24ft range... then you should be comparing it with the X45.

If you like surfing... I see more people surfing behind the X45 than I do the X-Stars...
Old     (pendo)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
I recognize that the X-star is 22'3" w/o the platform, and that the 23lsv and 247lsv are longer, but they do not have the pickle fork ... so it is difficult to compare length ... we do not want a boat that behaves like the 45 as that is just too big IMO
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-04-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
The 45 is the same size as the 247.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-04-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
For that matter, ask your MC dealer about the new X-35!! It's supposed to throw a mean surf wake, and they should be in within a couple months!! Who's your dealer??
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
The MC folks are circling the wagons, expect phone calls soon.
Old     (pendo)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
guys/gals ... we know that an X45 is the same length as a 247, however, by design, an X-star and an X-45 act longer than their length b/c of the pickle fork (we do have 350 hours on one) ... seriously, we have had:

1987 PS 190
1998 PS 190
2002 X-9
2004 X-star (still have)
2006 197 (still have)

So its not like we don't drink the koolaid ... now, its the middle of winter her and we have 2' of snow on the ground at our houses, and 4' of snow up at the lake ... so, going out to ride behind the boats is kinda tough ... a friend suggested a few things to go look at as far as construction differences between the two brands, and we will definitely do that, but at this point is is probably a new bu or sticking with the 04, b/c there is no way an 08 Xstar is worth 60K more than an 04, its that simple! (Hell for 60K I could put 3 brand new HD Road Kings in the garage)

(Message edited by pendo on February 04, 2008)
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       02-04-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
First off, you're numbers in the post are a little off. You're not going to get $50-55 in trade, more like low to mid 40's because of the engine (if you're lucky), so the BU's going to be more like $35-40 to get it. As for upgrading to the new X-Star, it would be just a little more than the BU, probably $45ish or bumping $50. I don't think you should because it's the same boat, so it wouldn't make any sense. As for going to the BU. That doesn't make any sense either. You're not getting anything new or better. If you wanted to get new pumps and speakers go for it, but it wouldn't be even $4K to do so. I'd say upgrade some componets if necessary, invest the difference, enjoy the great boat that you have and when something actually new comes out pay cash for it with what you invested and earned.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
Kinda depressing when so called "top 3" lose so much value over such a short period. I thought one of the Mantra of the top 3 boosters was resale resale resale?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-04-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
Darren, its all us lackeys(me not you) that want to buy a slightly used sick ass boat that you hear shouting. The rich people just decided to listen. Thanks rich folks.
Old     (pendo)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
Mark (mvl) thanks for the advice ... I guess you must have been there when my brother and dad talked to the salesmen ... they do have a used 04 Xstar at utahwatersports (owned by the same people who own the spokane dealership) or sale for 62K ... I know new boat dealers like to make 18-21 points on a new boat, but they don't need to make 18-21 on the trade in IMO ... irregardless, like darren (ralph) stated, it is depressing to think that the 04 has depreciated so much in 4 model years ... it makes it very wastefull to trade it in on a newer model, epscially considering that if we were to trade it in again in 4 years we could loose another 50% in depreciation on trade and pay 18-21 points on a 2012 ...
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-05-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
Is it really the fact that the 04 Mastercraft has depreciated that much? We all know that you can usually get a better value for a boat by selling on the open market vs a trade. With that said, I don't think the reason that you have lay out so much money for a new 08 is because of a terrible depreciation but more because the prices of these boats have skyrocketed over the last 4 years and the trade they are offering is not great. I am willing to bet that if someone who bought an 04 XStar new in late 2003/early 2004 sold it now on the open market in great condition, they wouldn't lose that much money if they just exited boating. The problem is that the 08 XStar or 08 any boat for that matter is significantly more expensive than the 04. Therefore the amount to shell out is high.

I bought an 05 Supra 24SSV in late 04. It is over 3 years later and the trade value and open market prices really aren't that much less than what I paid in 05. However, if I want to get an 08 Supra, I have to shell out some serious coin since the 08 Supra MSRP is almost 15K to 20K more than it was in 04/05. Yikes.

(Message edited by schmo on February 05, 2008)
Old     (ridersdad)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-05-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
x-15 thats all
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Going to head back to the boat show tomorrow afternoon. I want to take another look at the 247 and the 23LSV. Also, considering just upgrading the ballast system in the X-Star and also replacing the tower speakers with some wetsounds.
Old     (justin45)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
I don't think you are being fair to yourself with the boats you are comparing. The boat you really need to be looking at is the MasterCraft X-45. We purchased an 07 X-45 last summer and love it. It throws an awesome surf wake and the wakeboarding wake is great also. If we have atleast 5 people in the boat I have them sit on the side of the boat we are surfing on, fill up the side ballast tank and adjsut the plate properly and its good to go, EASY!! Then when it's time to wakeboard, fill all the tanks, and the boat is ready. You really don't need additional fat sacs with the X-45, it is awesome. Throw that into the mix and go check it out, you can probably score a good deal on one as well, better than the X-Star.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
Justin, can you get me some pictures of your surf wake?? I know someone that's looking for a new MC surfer, and hasn't been a fan of the surf wakes on the X45's he's surfed in the past!!
Old     (pendo)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Well, my brother and dad and myself (and two of my kids) went back to the boat show last night ... apparently when they priced trade in value of our boat they had not included the 8.1 upgrade ... so we definitely feel like the trade in price would be fair and comparable to the trade in price at the bu' dealership ... so I definitely appreciated them calling up my dad and letting him know why they had initially offered 40K ... who knows, there are a few more days of the boat-show left ...
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Stick with MC. I've spent the last 2 days picking apart my 08 star, and can't believe how well it is put together. So different than my last boat. At this point, thrilled I made the change back to MC.