Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hyperlite4life)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-11-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
someone give me the 411. im looking to buy a board and was dissapointed the only companies at the boatshow was CWB HYP (the bigones.) im looking to get a more surfstyle board but want it to be loose enough to be able to do surface 3's and whatnot. Some one help......Thanks
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-11-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
placebo- josh model (get the smaller one for behind the boat).
i ride it all the time, and love it. I even rode it in real surf and had fun, took it to the north shore and it went well.
Old     (chase_h)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-11-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
if your looking for a surfstyle board shredstixx has what your looking for, the are the most high performance boards out right now. good for doing airs and ripping hard.
Old     (hyperlite4life)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-11-2007, 10:01 PM Reply   
ya but with the shredstixx im scared its gonna be too tight and wont break loose for surface spins.. and ya i rode the placebo one day on the delta with some Guys i didnt know and i really liked it but i was wondering about the others too
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-12-2007, 4:48 AM Reply   
I rode the Walker F-18, that's an amazing board. It was a little small for my weight at 210 pounds, but it's side to side speed is really fast and it's as light as a feather.

The Stixx boards have three fins you can remove either the side fins or the center, or replace the fins with smaller fins to loosen the ride.

Likewise you could replace the stock Walker fins with smaller ones.
Old    surfdad            01-12-2007, 4:54 AM Reply   
Ben, I won't get into the fray of which of those boards is best...but if your only concern with the Shred Stixx is loosening up the feel of the tail you can achieve that easily. Jerry uses Future Airs fins in a thruster pattern. So the trailing or middle fin is removable. That will give you a twin fin. Now that will loosen the tail up, making it very easy to break loose. If you STILL want a looser feel, you can size down the side fins. I do believe that Jerry ships his boards with 3.5 or 4 inch side bites (SB). I'm sure Jerry would let you order it with 3.25's -- the same fins on the XBC Grom and most of the Inland Surfer boards.

If you STILL aren't happy, and have a bench grinder you can trace an outline on the fins and grind away...effectively making them as small as you want. I have a few 1" futures :-)

The one thing to remember with smaller or shorter fins is that they reduce drive compared to deeper and MORE fins. You need to find a balance that works for you OR if you principally want to bust airs you'd leave the thruster pattern and 3.5" or 4" SB's alone.
Old    surfdad            01-12-2007, 5:00 AM Reply   
Ed beat me to it! The Walker Prjocet boards offer you the most flexibility, allowing you to order FCS fins, Futures Fins, O'Fish'L or whatever...Mike will route any fin box you want into his boards. All fin systems (as oppossed to glass on fins) are removable and you can find differing sizes and shapes to suit your purposes, although smaller fins are harder to find...hence the bench grinder customization method. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-12-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Jeff, I've learned a lot in the last year but you still have a much deeper understanding of the options.

I found a new Midwestern (new to me) wakeboard site and started posting pictures. I ended up trying to post pictures or all of the boards I rode this last year, that was a lot of pictures!

http://www.midwestwakeboarder.com/main/
Old     (hyperlite4life)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
hmmm. i really like the shape of the walker Bullet.. The Xbc Grom seems ncie too. Ive ridden The placebo and im just kindof comparing things off that. Its just a lot of money and i dont want to mess up and buy the wrong board :-/
Old     (hyperlite4life)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
This is me on the placebo it was my second time surfing and i got theh hang of it pretty quick.. i dont want to progress out of a board to fast either.

http://jwcotting.smugmug.com/photos/89743863-L.jpg