Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            12-14-2006, 5:13 AM Reply   
The state has held two public meetings gathering info, what do folks think about mandatory boater education here in the Golden State?

http://dbw.ca.gov/BoaterEdReq.asp
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       12-14-2006, 6:44 AM Reply   
Jeff,
I am not opposed to the education. I would hope that this would include the dreaded PWC owners also. And drivers of tubers that ruin the water for wakesurfers that we want to ruin for wakeboarders that messup the water for skiers anf fishermen.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-14-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
I had to take the class through work to become a boat operator. If it's the same it was a self study book with a written test at the end. I think you would be amazed, or maybe not, how many people don't know the difference between port, starboard, and what the colored navigation lights are for. I think it is a good idea.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-14-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Dennis, thats funny....

Johnny, red means stop, green go, right?
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-14-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
It could mean stop or go. I am curious though, is the white light in the back suppose to stay on or only come on in reverse?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-14-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
I think it's a fantastic idea, but would definitely have to include all vessels, including PWC's. That would make our lakes much safer.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-14-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
I thought the white light on top of the tower was to warn aircraft?

Upload
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-01-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
The white light is to give visual represtation of your boat to all other crafts on the water. It is supposed to be the highest point on your boat. Also it helps to indicate to other boaters where the stern of your boat is. You would be suprised how many boaters wouldn't know if the green/red lights are on the bow or the stern if the boat were not right in front of them.

In New Hampshire it is required that everyone opperating a boat over 25hp have taken a boaters education course by the year 2008. They started in like 2002 where everyone under 25 had to have one then 2003 everyone under 35 and as time progressed everyone will need one. The course was 8 hours long and suprisingly informative at some points, but mostly boring. I am all about keeping the waterways safer.