Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Hey! Does anyone know anything about Calibrated wakesurf boards? I saw pics of them at surf expo and checked out their site. They look pretty sick. Trying to get into actual skim/surf boards rather than riding the wakeboard company knock offs and don't get much info on stuff being up in Canada. I was also checking out the new limited inland surfer pintail looks pretty sweet as well.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine out of Discovery bay his brother in-law Mike Armstrong started up the company with another guy. There boards are sick, very light and a good size to do surface tricks. I ride the Piscus and I love it when there is a big surf wake. If you look at boardstock pics of this year you can see that the 1st and 3rd winners of wakesurfing have calibrated boards. If you are a large rider it can be a little hard to get going thats the one draw back, but the company is relatively new that they might come out with a larger board.

Check them out at http://www.calibratedwakesurfing.com/

Not to familiar about the prices because I got a deal on my board because it was kind of a demo thing. I think their competitive with companies like Phase 5 and Inland Surfer
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info! What are the Telum and lovett pro like? I'm assuming being pintails they're a bit better for shuv-it's and tricks like that...we're looking for a good all around trick board.
I emailed the guys at calibrated awhile ago regarding specs etc.and haven't heard back yet. I'm a bigger rider but am on a 4'7 broadcast right now and have no issues with getting going, not sure how much different these types of boards ride because we've only been on the landlock and a broadcast. Tried a phase 5 didn't dig it too much.
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Also wondering if anyone knows anything about this company:
http://awakesurf.com/
Thx!
J
Old    surfdad            10-23-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Mike is a 'bro and you have to see the Lovett pro model to appreciate the graphics and design. When they hit the market, all of the boards will rock...but therein lies the problem. Unless you're a sponsored team rider, a friend or family member...you can't get your hands on one just yet.

If you're thinking about a buying a new board anyway...the season is pretty much gone, I'd give serious consideration to holding out until the Cal's are available at retail.

Mike's good at follow through, he'll get back at you pretty quickly.
Old    surfdad            10-23-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Alan Bogdanoff owns and operates Awake, he's a good guy also. He's donated a few boards to the American Wakesurf Association (AWSA) efforts. His stealth skimstyle is an interesting design. He's been around the surf and wakesurf scene for ages.
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff! Seems like from what I've seen you're pretty involved in the industry. Any thoughts on the inland surf limited pintail? Looks a lot like the awake stealth model. Also wondering if you know who Josh Sleigh rides for..in vids and pics it looks like he might be on XBC or shoreline product. I assume guys at that level, like him and Lovett etc aren't riding on junk pulling the stuff I've been seeing.
Thanks again for the comments.

J~
Old    surfdad            10-23-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
The new Inland 4skim looks to be a killer product. I was able to hold it at the World's and it has some very unique features. The first is the placement of the fin. It's significantly forward of what you'd see with a Cal or Phase 5. This makes the board feel exceptionally loose, so surface 3's and the like will feel effortless. It also allows a deeper fin, so there is more drive than on something like a Phase 5, while not hanging the fin when tossing a shuv. We have recently started riding the Walzer's pretty heavily and one issue that comes up for James is after throwing a shuv, the twin fin arrangement causes the inside fin to hang in the wake. See the sequence at the bottom:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/378813.html?1161605480

I like the idea of having the single fin moved inboard to allow a more loose feel. Mark Sher has made some noise about sending us a board to test, if I can get my hands on one, I'll do an in depth write up.

Again, though...I don't believe that the 4skim is available at retail just yet, but it should be close to hitting the market.

Inland makes a great product and they do the most R&D of ANY of the manufacturers. The big boys just rework a wakeboard, but Inland really seems to make efforts at bring new and better products to market. IMO they have the most extensive line up of various products.

Josh Sleigh kills it doesn't he? In most of the videos and stills you see behind the boat he's riding a Placebo - it's a division of Lost surfboards. I believe this is the link:

http://www.placebo1.com/

I had trouble finding the product, but it's there...keeping scratching. :-)

Josh is amazingly talented. His power and balance are incomparable. At the worlds where he placed - third? He was in such pain with a back issue that he basically hobbled off the dock...can't even imagine what he would have done if he was healthy on that day. The one issue that I have, is that I believe the man could ride a 2x6 and make it perform like the best board in the world. I would suspect, though, that Josh wouldn't ride a substandard board and J.L. has indicated there is a ton of R&D that went into it. In looking at that board, just remember that that Josh is likely the best surfstyle wakesurfer in existence.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

Here are some shots of my friends riding the calibrated, thats behind a centurion avalanche wake and I just surfed behind a new Malibu VLX wake and it was awesome. Speed was about 9.5 mph
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-23-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
I heard about Josh at the worlds from the guys at wakesurfing mag. That's too bad, looks like he'd be untouchable if he was riding injury free.

the 4skim and the cal surfs all look pretty sick, I guess I'll have to wait for the spring to see. hopefully I can get my hands on one of them and not have to resort to the cookie cutter wake models.
Do you happen to know the construction of the 4 skim and the cals'?

Thanks for all the info and pics guys! I'll keep my eyes out and touch base on the board closer to spring and see if anything from these companies have progressed, which from what I've seen I'm sure they will. Would love to represent up in Canada for either one!

Cheers!!
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       10-23-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
i am a calibrated team rider and i love the boards!! you should for sure get one. there sick!
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-23-2006, 10:29 PM Reply   
hey everybdy - it's Alan from awakesurf. just to let you guys know - I have changed my company's name to Area53 or A53 for short.
www.AREA53.com or www.A53.com nothing has changed xept that i will have a whole new line of stuff. comming at you real soon.

About Calibrated - there stuff is sick. Mike is a great person and knows his stuff. to date they have the highest tech equipment out there. it's all pressed and made in the states!. Mike knows wat's up.

Never rode the forskim but i'm dying to try one - i mean ride one. they look sick.
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-24-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Hey Mike, from what Jeff said it sounds like Calibrated boards aren't available to the public yet, and being from Canada I'm sure we'd be the last to get our hands on one even if they were. Any idea what's going on there?
Thanks for the info Alan, checked out the website although right now it looks as though it's just a screenshot. Maybe it's not up and running yet? Seems like Calibrated's new site is just getting up and running too...
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
it looks like the 2007 season will be a unique year for wakesurfing...

-lots of high quality boards to chose from
-introduction of skim style hybrids
-large manufactures offering epoxy boards (liquid force)

these are all good signs !!!
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       10-24-2006, 11:19 PM Reply   
jason, try and get a boardshop to carry calibrated boards near you so you an get one.
Old    surfdad            10-25-2006, 4:46 AM Reply   
Mike Armstrong is "more-than-likely" going to be coming into my office sometime this week. I will try and get a definitive production schedule from the Calibrated folks and I'll report back.

One other form of distribution that is on the horizon is an online board shop that Sean Ward is putting together and will feature all things wakesurf related. My understanding is that you'll be able to order virtually all of the smaller manufactures boards online and have them shipped anywhere. This may be the best option for folks like Jason where distrubtion channels for Calibrated wakesurfers might be a few years away.

Shoot Sean Ward - caskimmer a PM and ask about that online board shop.
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-25-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
I actually got a chance to talk with Mike Armstrong yesterday..sounds like I may be able to snag one sometime after December when they're hoping to make them available to the public if everything goes well for them. He also sent me some more info on their lineup...killer! The Lovett pro looks like one of the sickest boards out there! As I told Mike yesterday if anyone is trying to get things going with wakesurfing and promoting it in Canada keep me in mind, I still have a ton of contacts up here with my involvement in wakeboarding over the past years and helping to promote it in Canada...I haven't been this stoked about a boardsport since I got involved in wakeboarding about 15 years ago!!
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-25-2006, 11:15 PM Reply   
mike called me today also - things are in the works, we're supposed to meet as soon as i get back. things are definetly brewing in this sport. thanks to guys like mike, surfdad and inland.
i havnt cheked the post yet but where is tim lopes going???also got to thank him. forgot to mention the grandfather of it all - jerry (if that's his real name) from sred stix.
Old    surfdad            10-26-2006, 4:19 AM Reply   
Mike is planning on dropping by my office this morning with a handful of boards. If all goes according to plan, I'll post some pictures and review notes in the next few days.

I am really impressed with the potential of the Lovett signature model. All of the Cal's have a killer look, but the graphics that I saw on the Lovett are hands down the best of any stock board.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-26-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
Jeff, If you get one board to many, feel more than free to forward it my way

doug
Old    surfdad            10-26-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
You know that is an interesting idea...Ed Sullivan has had GREAT luck organizing informal get togethers to demo boats and boards...should we do that here in CA? Who would be up to show up for such a gathering, that is if I had a truckload of boards you couldn't find elsewhere?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-26-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Jeff, The support that you, Inland Surfer, Trick Boardz, The Walker Project, and Shred Stixx, has given us land locked Midwesterners has been fantastic. Everyone really appreciates the opportunity to demo these boards.

I think early season demos will probably work best for both riders and manufacturers. Riders can get a quick glimpse of a wide variety of boards, then pick a new weapon early in the season. Once selected riders can train on their new weapon and get ready for the local comps.

The other cool thing a bout gatherings is every one bring their board so you can try what the other guy has been riding. At Morse Lake we had about a dozen boards, most rode 4 to 6 new boards. There’s more hang out an fun time than in a comp.

One idea I have to reduce the down time at comps is to have several boats and a traveling judge. You free ride until the judge shows up, then ride for the comp. The key requirements for this concept are multiple boats, good communications and a larger event space.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-27-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
excuse me, I take back what I said about riding the piscus. I'm actually riding the tellum, again awesome board for a big surf wake
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-10-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if Calibrated is around still?? I went to look on their website and it no longer exists, and all of the email contacts are no longer valied either? I hope that's not the case!
Old    surfdad            01-10-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
I don't think that I am talking out of school. Forgive me Mike if I am. Mike Armstrong one of the owners of Calibrated, just had twin baby boys before the end of the year. His lovely wife Molly delievered prematurely as a result of falling while fleeing from an escaped convict that was hiding in their home, attempting to ellude police. I can't even imagine that whole scenario.

Thankfully the whole Armstrong clan is alive and well and at home now. The potential for disaster was incredible.

I'm sure that once Mike starts getting some sleep :-) he'll be back up to speed. I would like to personally ask everyone to hang in there with Mike as gets his product to market.
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-10-2007, 11:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for the update Jeff!, and to Mike and his family hopefully everything's good, and I hope they're all doing well. I have a wife and kids of my own and can't imagine any of them in the trouble that you described!
We're all stoked on Calibrated up here in Canada and can't wait to see what they bring for '07!!
Congrats on the kids Mike! Take care!