Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
OK...decided on an Inland surfer board...just not sure which yet....

Want a good board to do a few tricks for big guys. (Hard slashin & spin attemps)

I'm not a newbie to wakesurfing...but most of my friends are.
To me they both look like good surf style boards...but i'm thinking the blue might allow for more aggressive carving.

But will the blue be too small for a 220lbs dude?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-03-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
I run from 210 to 225; I have a Red and a Yellow and I've ridden the Blue.

The Blue will be perfect for your size. I'd say that the Red is for a really big guy or for a really small wake. At your size your could probably also consider the Yellow.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
bigshow hit it on the head. We have primarily ridden the yellow and blue. Tried the red one once and about fell asleep, it's just way to big. We have taught several people how to surf using the blue and it's been no problem. Blue is my vote. Good luck.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
bluez what i'm leanin towards...just wanna make sure.

I'd consider the yellow too, but I don't think it would be good for beginners....

maybe i should get both!!!

just thought I'd make my wife's eyes light up!!
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
Oh ya....what's your thought on the woody models?
Do they look as good in person??
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-03-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
I began ridding midway through the summer of 05 on a three fin Broadcast 5.6. The Broadcast is stable and easy for beginners but I quickly out grew it.

Even though the Yellow looks small, it's really fast down the line and easily supports my weight; I’ve ridden the Yellow over 13 mph. The bottom of the Yellow is fairly flat - flat bottoms are faster.

If you’re just cruising, I think that the Blue and Yellow feel very similar, both are really light, and I really like the full deck waffle board grip. I think they both carve about the same too, though I don’t have much riding time on the Blue.

Since the Yellow is shorter it should spin better. I broke the Yellow free and spun it once I wasn't able to stay in the pocket. I can't wait to try again next season. If I was only buying one, I'd buy the Yellow, I think there's more room to grow and learn tricks. That said if you want a surfboard with a traditional look you just can’t go wrong with the Blue.

I haven’t seen the woodys up close, they look cool.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-03-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
Oh Ya about the wife, any time I want to get her riled up a little I tell her that I want to buy more gear for the boat, but If I really want a reaction I tell her I'm looking at a new boat.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
nice.....

that wouldn't work for me though...

my problem is that my wife would rather have a new boat than a new board.
but...gota keep er happy, cause she's the one that usually has to pull my dumb as around the lake.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-03-2007, 11:47 PM Reply   
At 220, I'd say you're pushing the weight limit on the yellow. Have you checked out the rider charts on www.inlandsurfer.com? What kind of a boat and how much weight will you be running in it? I have a friend who is around 230 and he has a really hard time catching the wave without burying the nose on my yellow.
Old    surfdad            01-04-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
IMO, the yellow is a very nice board for progessing with. There is a phenomenon that Ed Sullivan has described and points to in this thread. As you get better with your skill set, you can step down in board size. I believe the yellow has a max recommended weight of 200 pounds and Ed exceeds this. My speculation is that at the start of his riding he would have had difficulty on the yellow, but at this point rides it fairly easily.

Inland does a fairly conservative job with their weight ratings, and the yellow, again IMO, can be ridden by folks beyond that 200 pound limit. I think the 220 pound range is suitable, especially if the rider has some experience.

The red is inland's beginner and big guy board. It's exceptionally stable down the line and if need be swapping the 3.25 SB's out to 3.5's or 4.0's will make it track as straight as a train on rails. It can be a bit overpowering for smaller riders (petite women and kids) simply due to it's width and thickness. If the group of newbies you have on your boat are smaller than your 220 pounds, the blue is probably a better option. If however, you are called 'skinny' :-) by your crew, the red is the better bet.

I think both the red and blue can perform well in just about any wake from small on up, although big guys on small boards in small wakes isn't the optimum combination.

I think the pictures don't do the woody models justice, in person the grain shows thru much better.

Don't hesitate to call Jeff Page or Mark Sher of Inland, both of those guys are straight shooters. They will guide you to the correct product selection based upon the criteria you present. They're good people.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-04-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
I picked up a Red Tide ('07 Limited Woody) a few weeks ago. I'm a beginner and a big guy, so I went with the nicest lookin long board out there.
Me and my crew are droolin to get out and try it. I also picked up a Helium rope. All that is left to get is 400 lbs of Pop Bags, then dail in the wake on my B52.
A big thanks to Jeff and Mac at Inland for setting me up!

UploadUpload

UploadUpload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-04-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
OK Jeff, maybe he's better starting off with the Blue; toward the end of the season my weight is more like 210, so that might help me too. Also I've been playing with riding ridiculously small boards. Still though, I think that once you get wake surfing figured out a 220 pound rider will do just fine on a Yellow.

Wake size has an impact too. I’ve dialed in my wake about as good as it will get, so I might have more wake than most beginners. We’ll see how well the Yellow rides for me this spring when I’m all fat again:-)

(Message edited by Bigshow on January 04, 2007)
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-04-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Beauty board browny!!!
I'm going with the Woody Blue for now.....

I had the smaller Broadcast in the past, (their first model) found it hard for beginners, and hard for me without substantial ballast weight. But I may still get the yellow later for a challenge....I may even go with the Oogle just for something a little different.

I gota 21V which I find awsome for wakesurfing, even with no ballast. But ballast is required for smaller skim style boards.

DWC has the blue woody for $349. Sounds pretty reasonable.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-04-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
Thanks Jim
$349 is a great price for the blue woody. Can't go wrong with the '06 or '07, they both look sweet!

Upload

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-04-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
The smaller 4.x Broadcast is a bit small for a someone your size, I have surfed the 4.x and did OK.

I found the 21V wake a little challenging to work with, the pocket was quite small. The boat I rode needed more weight.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-04-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
Actually, out of two other of my buddies boats....both turneys....they both prefer to surf in mine.

Maybe their too cheap to pay for the gas.....

The key to the 21v is to not overweight the rear, and to adjust the front/mid weight as req'd, depending upon passenger load. When I get about 7 people on her and no ballast....she's pretty sweet!!!!Its' a heavy boat already with the wood stringers....but that's another story.

Anyway thanks for all yee imput....I'll let you know what I think of the Blue after I try it!!!!