Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            10-26-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
I'm getting a head start on my review :-) Mike Armstrong of Calibrated dropped by with two boards, the first I'm going to look at is the Telum 50. As you'll see in the pictures, the Calibrated boards have, IMO some of best graphics on the market. It doesn't show up well in these pictures, but the orange pinstripe actually radiates in the light.

A lineup for comparison purposes, from left to right - Walzer 4'4", Calibrated Telum 50 4'2" and a Walker Project Team 4'5".

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-26-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
The two skimboards are pretty close in outline shape. The Telum is, of course, 2 inches shorter but is also about 1/2 wider at it's widest point.

To give you an idea of the weight of each board, you'd probably guess the Poly U surfboard to be the lightest and you'd be wrong. The Walzer is the lighest at 5 pounds with full traction and two fins. The Telum is in the middle at 7 pounds with full traction and 1 fin. The Walker Project weighs in at 8 pounds with full traction (and stickers :-) ) and two fins.

One of the issues with a too light skimboard is that when you throw shuv's it can get away from you - there is a desierable amount of weight, we'll see if the Calibrated has that on Saturday.

Of course I was impressed at the Telum being lighter than the Walker Project as the Walker has a single layer of glass and develops pressure dents if you look at it, the Telum has multiple layers of fabric and PVC nose and tail blocks for durability.

Another feature that I liked about the Telum is the built in arch bar in the traction, It's a little difficult to see in the picture but if you look at the front pad you'll see the two vertical lines, that is the outline of the raised arch bar support.

To be continued... :-)
Old    surfdad            10-27-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
The Telum 50 came with a Rainbow Fin Company 1.3. I like that Calibrated uses wakeboard fins in it's design. Wakesurfing is still a behind the boat sport and locating wakeboard fins is usually just a quick trip to your local dealer. There is a vast amount of real estate between the coasts where finding a Futures fin on a Saturday afternoon is impossible. :-)

Upload
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       10-27-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
jeff
that board looks so sick!
and i think i had the head start.. i was the first one to ride that board

haha
tell me what you think
Old    surfdad            10-28-2006, 5:41 AM Reply   
Yeah Mike, you've been on this board before...you are one of the priviliged few as a Team Rider!!!!!!! Winning at the World's doesn't hurt your cause either.

I've always felt that Inland put the most effort into R&D and with James skill set, we have been fortunate to test just about every board out there, many before they are commercially available.

The folks at Calibrated are the first to ever hand us an evaluation form. Actually 4 of them so that we could record our feedback and make sure that info is accurately returned to them.

The form is exceptionally detailed asking for input on the rider, subjective aspects, and several areas of the physical shape of the board. I'm intentionally being vague to safeguard Calibrated's work.

I'm impressed with the form not only for it's thoroughness but also it's indicative that Calibrated is serious about R&D efforts.

We are hitting the water with them today :-)

(Message edited by surfdad on October 28, 2006)
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Jeff- I have the blue inland board. What would be the advantages to one of these boards that looks vastly different in shape? I'm a newby but am way addicted to surfing.

Thanks.
Old    surfdad            10-28-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
A quick video of James on the Telum, several shuv's, a surface 3, a revert 3 and the 720 at the end is too fun!

http://www.wakepics.com/img/20468
Old    surfdad            10-28-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
Hey Ben,

The Telum is a skimstyle board while your Blue is considered a surfstyle board. Besides the difference in length (14 inches) the stimstyle boards have several difference. One is the nose rocker. Your Blue has a distinct turned up nose, this allows you to make hard bottom turns without burying the nose. The skimstyle boards have a fairly minimal nose rocker which helps the maintain speed down the line, but also allows them to be ridden revert after thowing a shuv. Another difference is the fin. Most skimstyle boards have a single fin, whereas the surfstyle boards will, typically, have at least two fins if not three. The greater number of fins will produce more drive or speed down the line. If you wanted to do aerial tricks, you'd probably want to look at the more surfstyle board, while if you were thinking more along the lines of technical rotational moves the skimstyle boards are a more appropriate choice.

That's a very brief and generalized overview, but should give you an idea. Feel free to ask more questions.

(Message edited by surfdad on October 28, 2006)
Old    surfdad            10-28-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
Shuv in and out sequence. James found the Telum to me a shuv machine. At one point he did 11 in a row.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            10-28-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
While the forte of the Telum is rotational tricks, it was no slouch with aerial tricks either. It's not like the Walker Project Team or the Walzer, but as far as single fin skimboards it did pretty well.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-28-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
James found the Telum to be an excellent board, he added three new tricks. You'll see two in the video listed above, the revert 3 (fin forward surface 3) and the 7. This isn't a great picture, but James did an Indy Shuv.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-28-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
I think that Calibrated puts together a nice board. There are few skim style boards on the market, and Calibrated is easily at the top of the list. The design is solid, it handles like a skimstyle board should. This 50" board is probably a bit small for James at 160 pounds, but wasn't significantly short. A 4'4" would probably be the perfect size.

The traction is good, but not the best. A taller arch bar would be nice. Really, though that's pretty minor.

I really think the Calibrated has only one issue - you can't get one. :-) Mike has indicated that they should be into production for the 07 season, I'm hoping so as the Telum is a great board for folks up to the 150 pound range.

Once the board is available at retail, they'll be hard to beat. Great graphics, fits in a rack, shuv's with the best, spins very quickly for a single trailing fin board and you can throw airs if you push it hard.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-28-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
jeff,

great review... what boards do they have for folks up to 190 lbs ?
Old    surfdad            10-29-2006, 4:48 AM Reply   
Hey Mike,

The Telum comes in three lengths 50", 53" and 56" The 56" is designed for folks 175 and up. The Lovett pro model will come in two lengths 50" and 53". The 53" is rated at weights up to 190. This board is exceptionally light...on par with the Walzers.

The graphics on the Lovett are killer - I have to get Mike to free one up.

The last option they have is a Piscus, it's surfstyle board, I haven't done that writeup yet, but will get to it this week. Not as aggressive as the the skimstyle boards, it will come in lengths 49", 51" and 57"

Just a quick picture of James boosting some air on the 57" Piscus.

Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
jeff,

they are nice looking boards... do you think the 5'6" would be too advanced for newbies ?

btw, any idea what type of traction calibrated is using ?
Old    surfdad            10-29-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Hey Mike, you're not newbie, so for other folks on your boat? The Telum 56" or 4'8" is probably not suitable for newbie's. It's designed for intermediate and advanced riders, I think that you'd be disappointed with it as a more "instructional" board.

Now the Piscus, especially in 57" or 4'9" would be quite suitable. I'll finish the write up on that tomorrow.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
yep, it is for other folks and for the wife and would not prefer to get a liquid force skimskate (good begainners board but thats it...)
Old    surfdad            10-29-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
I missed the traction question. Mike has it custom made for him, so it's not off the shelf. It's similar to the EVA foam that is used on the Shorline Lakeboard products, but with that raised arch bar. It also has a cool Calibrated logo on it. :-)

I couldn't personally recommend a Telum for a newbie.
Old    surfdad            11-06-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
A few pics of James boosting air on the Telum

Upload
Upload
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
Jeff, how cold is that water?
Old    surfdad            11-08-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
Freezing :-) Low 60's, I believe it was in the 62-64 range, air temp around 75 or so. James hates wet suits or dry suits and will suffer and turn blue before wearing one.

I, on the other hand, know the meaning of appropriate attire :-)

Upload
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-08-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
I am with you on that one Jeff! We we were out Sunday here in AZ and the air temp was about 86 and the water is 70. Most guys won't wear wetsuit with that temp. I don't need to prove anything... I wore the shorty, I hate to be cold. Us Arizonan's pull out the down jackets when hits an air temp of 75 degrees.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-08-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Wow, you guys are spoiled, water temps in the 70s and your wearing wet suits!
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-08-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
I am now the proud owner of the first telum ever made. i bought it off of mike. the board is amazing