Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-15-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
Hello all,

I am in the market for a new Wakesurfer. Thought I had one picked out, but as it turns out... I am back to square one.

I'm looking for a fast board that is going to have good pop. I'm about a year or so in to Wakesurfing so I don't want a beginners board. I want something a little more advanced. I demo'd a Shreddstix last year and I don't think it was for me. I'm not bagging on them at all, as I know a lot of people enjoy them. I just prefer something a little more traditional. I think the one I had was all wrong for me anyways. I couldn't keep it from nose diving.

So what do you guys think? Looking to spend somewhere between 500 and 700 bucks.

As always, thank you in advance for the help.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-15-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
Chad - a little more information would help folks make recommendations; type of wave you ride (size, weight, etc) and your own weight.

That said, I think this is a great progression board; Towanza Ruthless. I bought one last year and love it. It is quick, light, fast and has good lift.

Here is an blurb from the towanza site. Taking notes from The Walker Project's F-18, Bullet & Signature models the Ruthless line has an exact balance of aggression and forgiveness. Supports a wide range of riders and skill sets and with full bias, it's our best board we offer.

It comes in 4.6 and 4.9. At 225# I bought the 4.9 and a buddy at 150# bought the 4.6. Check them out at Towanza.com

Good luck.

T
Attached Images

Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-15-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Trev,

That is hilarious. When I said in my first post that I had another board picked out, I was referring to that same board. I actually have it sitting in my closet. I have had a really bad experience with the guys at Walker so I am sending it back and looking for a different line of boards. I don't want to start a whole thread of bashing the guys so I refrained from getting too detailed.

Any other thoughts.

Sorry....Besides Walker Project.
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-15-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
Trev

As for my info... I'm about 220lb and 5'11" tall. We have a pretty good wave. We can pretty much ride anything on it. I was turned on to the Walker boards when my friend loaned me his 5'4 bazooka. It was an awesome fit. It started feeling a little big when I started to progress to try spinning and jumps. I was thinking a 5'0 would be perfect.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-15-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
@ Chad - hey no worries man, I understand. While I ordered my board through Towanza (and they were good) Walker was another story (delays). I still really like the board.

Have you thought about the Inland Surfer boards? I've ridden the Red Woody (own this one), Blue Lake and Sweet Spot. Of those, and for your size, I think the Blue or Sweet Spot might be really good boards.

Random notes, I see you are close to me...I have a 2008 Shred Stixx Piranha if you are interested in riding it. I might be selling it. How do you like surfing your Supra? I almost bought one. We have a couple of guys who surf Lewisville regularly if you are interested.

T
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-15-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
Trev

Very interested. I am about 20 min. from Lake Lewisville.

I like surfing my boat but it's not ideal. It is a direct drive so I am still fine tuning the wave. I have a few buddies that all have Supra's and we usually surf on one of theirs. I can get a pretty good wave but his is a 24' so he can get a little more depth. We also have a guy that has a Wakesetter that can get a pretty good wave but the best is on that 24 Supra Worlds.

I would like to try out another Shredstixx. I don't think the one I used was the right size for me.

I will take you up on the offer for the surfing. Always up for meeting new boarding people.
Old    JasonDJ            02-15-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
Chad, you should check out James Walker board at Inland Surfer - Flyboy Division. But I think it is in the $750-$850 range.
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-15-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Jason

That was going to be my next inquiry. I was looking at the inland surfer before I started looking at The Walker boards. Price is fine. I just want something that was as good as the Bazooka I rode.
Old     (Wakesurfnc)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-15-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
I second the Flyboy from Inland Surfer. High quality board it's what you need to step up your game and it seems to make airs and 3s a piece of cake!
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-15-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
Any big boys out there riding a 4'6" board. How short would you think i could go?

220lb
5'9
Old     (Wakesurfnc)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-15-2011, 4:27 PM Reply   
http://flyboywakesurf.com/wakesurf-3...er-orientation

Check out that link there^
"Dennis at 265 pounds is riding that little board and you know why he can? Because it’s got TONS of drive and speed."
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-15-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
I would look for a board that is 5.0 to 5.2 long. And 21 to 22 wide.
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-15-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
Thats kinda what i was thinking.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-16-2011, 2:24 AM Reply   
Chad,
You are as tall as me and the size of 4.6 to 4.8 would fit you well. But you weigh more then me so you would need the bigger board.

Mark
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-16-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
Mark,

You calling me fat?!?!?!?

Lol

I have this 4'6" towanza like what is shown above. Should I try it out or not even bother?

Trev,

Have you ridden your buddies 4'6 ? We are around the same size, if so, how was it?
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-16-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
Chad.
Unless you have a nice wave that pushes you then the 4.6 MIGHT work. I know a friend of mine . Can ride a 5.2 easier then my 4.8.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-16-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
@Chad - I have not ridden the 4.6 so I don't know if it would work. I will say, however, if you bought the 4.6 from Towanza I would call and talk to Todd. I am sure if you feel it is not the right board he would work something out to get you on the 4.9. I don't think there is any issue riding the 4.9 up to 250# with a good wave; medium size and up, in my Avy that is more than or equal to 1800#.

T
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-16-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
Chad, I peaked out 115 and had no problems with the IS Bluelake. I think you would do fine with it. If you had the chance to demo it I think you'd really like it. It's a way forgiving board that doesn't nose dive "pearl" as much. Check it out if you can
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       02-16-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramat View Post
Chad, I peaked out 115 and had no problems with the IS Bluelake. I think you would do fine with it. If you had the chance to demo it I think you'd really like it. It's a way forgiving board that doesn't nose dive "pearl" as much. Check it out if you can
Bit of a light weight for a BlueLake aren't you?...lol.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-16-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Chad, I peaked out 115
Liar!
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-16-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
Dura would make a cute 115 pounder! LOL

I've ridden the Blue at 225# with no issues. It is a fun board but I think there are many other, more aggressive boards out there. You might out grow the Blue quickly unless you are just looking to cruise.

T
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-16-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
Ok. Well I have the towanza 4'6 but I bought it directly from walker. I don't have any way of returning it so I want to give it a try. Just hoping it will work out. I love the looks of the board but that can only go so far.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-16-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
LMAO!! YA......MY BAD! I meant to say a light.....#215 Ok, Bigcat was maybe a little right...... I tubbed out at 220, but Im down to about 192 (hoping to lose more)

Damn buttons on the i-phones are small and easy to mistouch, thats my excuse and Im sticking to it LOL

Trev, I dont care what she says, Im always cute Hey, didnt you say that the Ruthless was more aggresive than the blue, and faster? I need to increase my friendship circle here locally and get some more friends that have some other boards so I can try them out LOL I really want to try a shredd stix like Durffy's. If I can just work my Jedi powers over Kriss K and get him to pull the trigger Id be golden LOL.

A true friend down in the Lehi Area would buy a shreddstix to let goofy riders surf HS behind his sacked out Avy. hint hint

Last edited by duramat; 02-16-2011 at 3:03 PM.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-16-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
LMAO!! YA......MY BAD! I meant to say a light.....#215 Ok, Bigcat was maybe a little right...... I tubbed out at 220, but Im down to about 192 (hoping to lose more)

Damn buttons on the i-phones are small and easy to mistouch, thats my excuse and Im sticking to it LOL

Trev, I dont care what she says, Im always cute Hey, didnt you say that the Ruthless was more aggresive than the blue, and faster? I need to increase my friendship circle here locally and get some more friends that have some other boards so I can try them out LOL I really want to try a shredd stix like Durffy's. If I can just work my Jedi powers over Kriss K and get him to pull the trigger Id be golden LOL.

A true friend down in the Lehi Area would buy a shreddstix to let goofy riders surf HS behind his sacked out Avy. hint hint
I was calling you a liar about the 115. I haven't seen 115 since I was about 12 yrs old!!!

Ya my fat fingers have trouble with those little buttons too!

I will focus my Jedi energy toward Kris as well.

If that friend down in Lehi was in your same weight class then he might be interested in a stix but I am pretty sure that they don't have an offering for the 270+ club. But he is however very interested in picking up a Walker Bazooka :-)
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-16-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Trev, I dont care what she says, Im always cute Hey, didnt you say that the Ruthless was more aggresive than the blue, and faster? I need to increase my friendship circle
Yeah the Ruthless is much more aggressive and faster than the Blue. If I said differently, I misspoke. I really dig my Ruthless. And you are always welcome in my circle of friendship. Feel free to come ride my Ruthless, Shredstixx or Red Woody....ha I said woody!

I think we need a TX two step with the Utah Surf Mafia.

T
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-16-2011, 6:58 PM Reply   
Chad, take Trevor on that offer!!! Its always a good thing to find another boating buddy for 3rds or whatever, especially when he has a Killer boat and boards Besides, you two are only like 23.06 miles apart (as the crow flies)

Trev, That would be a riot bro!
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-17-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Matt

I Plan on it. We have a pretty nice little crew ourselves. I'm always down to add some lake friends.

Trev,

What area are you in? Your profile says San Jose. I'm assuming you are in Texas now?
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-17-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
@Chad - yep, forgot to update that one. Done now.

T
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-17-2011, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorg7 View Post
I think we need a TX two step with the Utah Surf Mafia.
T
That would be fun!!!!!
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-17-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
"I would look for a board that is 5.0 to 5.2 long. And 21 to 22 wide. "

Exactly.

I have a TWPJW 4.6 and perfect for me at 150lbs. Rider tried it and said he'd need another inch at 170lbs (he's got a 4.7 F18). Crew member at 205lbs could barely ride it and kept losing the wave (comp size). They are very weight sensitive and I don't think you'll get what you want out of it. I'd sell.

From your description, I wouldn't say a specific brand, but ride something 5.0. A larger stixx maybe. I got a TWP 5.0 for my crew but you're a bit far. Get to a surf event and borrow for a set.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-17-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatpt View Post
That would be fun!!!!!
I sent Dura a note via CC regarding this.

T
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-17-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
Joe

Thats what I was afraid of. I may try to find a way to trade this one out somehow. Hell, Its brand new. wouldn't think it would be hard.
Old     (skylar18)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-28-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Chad,

What size is that board you are looking to dump?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-28-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
Quote:

I just read this! Hilarious! You can come surf my Shred Stixx boards anytime
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-01-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar18 View Post
Chad,

What size is that board you are looking to dump?
Its a walker Towanza 4'6"
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtaylor777 View Post
Its a walker Towanza 4'6"
How much you looking to get for the board? I'm 5'6" and weigh 175 pounds, do you guys think this board would work for me or is the just a little too small?
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-02-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
How much you looking to get for the board? I'm 5'6" and weigh 175 pounds, do you guys think this board would work for me or is the just a little too small?
Should be perfect size for you. PM me if you are interested.