Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-06-2013, 5:51 PM Reply   
Oh Wake World Audio Guru's....I beckon your assistance.

I have 4-2 1/2" waterproof speakers that mount in my hot tub. I know...a whole 2 1/2" of pure ear splitting power. Can you believe it?

Anyway, the speakers are shot. My sub still works but I need to replace all 4 speakers. They are made by PQN Enterprises and they are almost $60 each to replace, which seems a bit ridiculous. They are 8 ohm with a max power rating of 30 watts each. I have found some 2 1/2" speakers but they seem to be more for reproducing vocals rather than a full range speaker. I have a sub so bass response isn't really an issue. They do need to be waterproof since they sit under the cover.

Does anyone know of a replacement that wont break the bank?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-06-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
I can make my own bubbles..
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
2 ways you can do it .

#1 you can replace/upgrade your existing speakers. Check
Out a company called Polly-Planar they make hot tub or wet environment style speakers, head units and amps. But IMO the stuff just does the job. It's not "Great sound" it's just sound.

# 2 you can build a system independent of the hot tub. Using
Better quality speakers and amps and even sub's (that's what I chose to do)
The factory system in my tub was a joke.

I got some Niles out door speakers for $100 on Craig's list.
They sound awesome. I bought a Niles amp to power the Speakers for $75 on c-list.
I bought a powdered 200w Vela-dyne sub for $50
On c list and made a out door cover for it and his it in the garden. and then I used a older ARC audio EQ as a head unit with a I pod charge and audio cable. I have under $300 into it and its WAY more then you could ever need as far as volume and sound. But it's nice to have. It's great to have music while your working outdoors ect
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-09-2013, 7:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Grant. I'll probably just replace them for now. I would like to redo my patio in the next year or two and will look into some better audio then.
Old    deltahoosier            07-11-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
i always had luck back in the day with MCM electronics.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...L42BL-/51-1100

Try something like this.