Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       07-22-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
I think my alternator is about to crap out so here's my question...

Is there an upgraded alternator I can buy that will keep up with load of the stereo?? I have 2 batteries but keep them on the charger at home. What do you guys think?

PAtrick
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
Depends on how many watts your system is and how you play it. You could probably find an upgraded 100-amp alternator out there somewhere, but if you're constantly blasting your stereo at 2000 watts while parked, you're gonna go through the new alternator pretty quickly. Keeping them on the charger at home is probably your best bet.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
also at idle your alternator doesn't put out as many amps as like 2000 to 3000 rpm's. a smaller alternator pulley will help at idle. but we stil don't know how many amps your system draws or what size battery you have.all this comes in to play.
Old    bigdtx            07-22-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
These guys are great - have dealt with them before. Even though they are local to me I've only ever dealt with them online - no problems - they get lots of marine business.

http://www.alterstart.biz/
http://storesense1.mysuperpageshosti...ne,+Motorcycle
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-23-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Patrick, what boat and engine do you have? I have a few different OEM units available that aren't that are reasonably priced. Assuming you have a Leece Neville or a Delco with a 2" lower foot I have a 95 amp dual internal fan Delco that is a great unit. It is what Indmar is using on their newer engines.

Keep in mind that if you only have a single half inch belt the max amp output you can really run is ~100 amps. Much more and you are going to burn up belts. I can help you with the plugs they take and instruct you on how to hook them up.

If you have a serpentine belt system and you feel like doing it big I can do a 150amp Balmar small frame unit with an external balmar regulator but then you get up close to the $1000 range. For most this is just too expensive of an option and buying on onboard charger may be a better investment.

One thing to consider is that if you are upgrading your alternators output much and you actually have that kind of draw you need to upgrade your battery cables.

Last edited by polarbill; 07-23-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Brett,

Thanks for the info. I have a Centurion Enzo with the 5.7 Black scorpion motor.. it.s a 3 wire system, I can send you a picture if you like.. Do you have something that willl work? you can e-mail me. agent@hsmove.com
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
not sure how far you are willing to go but when we used to build a serious SPL comp vehicle, this was the only person that could build alternators that were up to the task. Buyer beware... his prices are a bit of a shock but like I said he is on a completely different level.
Its all in what you want though.
just shoot him an email describing your situation and he may have something for you .
dominick@tds.net or call 615-287-7991, 615-594-8965
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx07enzo View Post
Brett,

Thanks for the info. I have a Centurion Enzo with the 5.7 Black scorpion motor.. it.s a 3 wire system, I can send you a picture if you like.. Do you have something that willl work? you can e-mail me. agent@hsmove.com
I think the black scorpion has a dual lower foot alternator. Is this what it looks like? Noticeit has 2 feet on the lower side to mount.

There aren't nearly as many options with this setup. I am pretty sure that Balmar makes one but then you are talking about spending around a grand on your alternator and regulator.

I will check around and see what I can find.

If you have the ability to plug in a charger every time after you use your boat you may be better off buying some good deep cycle batteries and a GOOD onboard charger.
Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
I will do so, I dont want to spend a grand or anywhere close... I should be able to get an OEM part for around $200 right?.. I think that is it but I only could see the back when I took a picture of it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
I can sell you the actual Delco Remy OEM unit for under $200 if it is in fact the one a posted the picture of. I am sure you can find cheaper offshore clones, but the quality isn't going to be there most likely.
Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
Brett, Do you have an E-mail I can send you a pic of what I have?
Old     (mfenton)      Join Date: May 2009       07-27-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
I would buy an upgraded alternator, nothing to huge, and then buy a battery isolator. It will split up two circuits between your stereo and the boat ignition and other accessories and the alternator will charge both circuits.
Example:
Friend of mine had a 08 x2 with 5 amps and 14 speakers and subs. Bought a huge alternator, 3 batteries, and one of those kinetic batteries that store power, and still had a low voltage code showing up on dash. He kept ignoring it and finally the motor locked up. Brought boat back to dealer and MC told him that running low voltage to the computer controlling the engine cause the motor to run like ****, therefor locking it up. Makes sense.
A battery isolator will split up the two circuits where the stereo will not effect the computer controlling the boat.

Thats just what I have learned from experience.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/

Look here, good price.
call them up, they are help full
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tride View Post
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/

Look here, good price.
call them up, they are help full
I am pretty sure this place doesn't deal with OEM quality product. It is impossible at the prices. Most likely all their product is knock off stuff from China.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure this place doesn't deal with OEM quality product. It is impossible at the prices. Most likely all their product is knock off stuff from China.

I think them make them inhouse! Just posting diff option's!!!!!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
brett, yes it's china made "crap" as my local alt guy told me. There are people on here who have used them with sucess. I personally have smoked two of them. My local alt guy knows his stuff, he told me it was impossible to build a quality alt at that price. He spared me the " I told you so" when I brought he first and second smoked one in for repair, lol.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
by china made, I mean they use low quality china parts...probably assemebled in house.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
by china made, I mean they use low quality china parts...probably assemebled in house.
That is my educated guess as well.