Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    cheeseinaz            07-20-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
Alright, I need some help here...I've been riding for about 2 yrs now and have progressed pretty well: big pop off the wake, lots of grabs, switch 180's, blah, blah, blah. But when it comes to inverts, I can't seem to convince myself to hang on to the friggin' handle. I don't know if it's a subconsious fear of blowing out an eardrum (again) but I can't get it through my thick skull to hang on. And it's not like I have a cruddy handle (Parks Carbon)or it's getting ripped out of my hands either-I let go. I land my backroll and tantrum just fine...just without the rope. I'm getting ready to get out the duct tape and attach the thing to my hands. Does anyone have any advice on how to hang on to the handle? Hypnotism? Accupuncture? Voodoo magic? I'll try just about anything. Help!
Old    blindsiderider            07-20-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
squeeze
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-20-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
i know the feeling...i landed tons of backrolls without the handle until one day i promised I wouldnt let go until i landed it or the boat dragged me for 5 seconds. After about 30 attempts and blood blistered hands, i landed one on my ass and popped back up into regular position. I never really spotted the landing then. I think if you keep your eyes open and look for your landing then you wont be scared as much.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-20-2004, 7:11 PM Reply   
just think, what's the worst that could happen if you hold on? maybe you slide out, or worse, face plant. If you're not willing to take a good digger then I think this may not be the sport for you.

I've said it once I'll say it again, if you have to take it, take it on your forehead.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
Stop thinking about throwing the trick and concentrate on squeezing the handle with a deathgrip.

When people ask me to teach them a backroll on the cable, I give them the basic instruction on what to do. But the last thing tell them is when they throw the trick don't worry about the flip, just think "deathgrip on the handle". The trick will literally complete itself after the launch, but it's almost guaranteed that you will let go with at least one hand and get pulled out of position.

Since you already know how to throw the trick it's simply a matter of getting focused on squeezing the poo out of the handle when you launch.
Old    cheeseinaz            07-21-2004, 6:21 AM Reply   
Great info Fly. I'll use that thought process this Sunday and let you know what happens. Thanks.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 6:36 AM Reply   
Be Confident and picture yourself landing the invert.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-21-2004, 6:53 AM Reply   
I'm surprised no one mentioned the trampoline. This might be a good way to get comfortable flipping with the handle, but I also agree with John's method of just thinking of one thing - the handle!
Good luck, Cheese!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Line tension makes you rotate. I would be more scared of letting go of the handle on a backroll.
Old    svlwakbordchic            07-21-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
Been there cheeseinaz! I had the exact problem with the backroll for a whole year! finally someone told me that it was the line tension ripping it from my hands and not so much of me just me letting go. As you approach the wake, make sure the handle is nice and close to your hips. Then while your in the air and you feel your board on top of you, pull the handle back in again. Also as you're approaching the wake, just think about you landing the trick and not, "this is just another failed attempt."
Hope this helps Good luck
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
We have a rule on our boat that if you let go of the line (as opposed to having it pop loose) you have to service the driver. I have learned to hold on for dear life... It's not voodoo magic but it works for me!
Old     (brandicita)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
Damn, Lizrd . . . suppose I should stick to riding behind my boyfriend's boat!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-21-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
w00t!
Old    cheeseinaz            07-21-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
All great advice...even that "service the driver" line-my wife REALLY likes that one because she IS the driver. I'll try them all. Thanks.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-21-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
Have your friends pick one of the most annoying songs you can think of and blast it on the tower speakers. They hit repeat everytime you let go of the rope. The first time you hang on the song changes. After hearing "Flashdance" over and over and over again, our friend decided to hang onto the rope. It worked for him. Plus, everyone in the boat has a vested interest in you hanging onto the rope too!

If that doesn't work, try Superglue.

Old    wakelvr            07-21-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Laurie, you know darn well it wasn't the flashdance that did it. It was the "flash" that did it....

A little positive reinforcement doesn't hurt folks...
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-21-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
HAHAHA!
Wes said "w00t!". You're a nerd and.....Im a nerd for know what that is.

w00t!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-21-2004, 10:48 PM Reply   
glad someone else around here is l33t ;-)

lol

and for the record brandice threw the handle a couple times today...
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-22-2004, 7:14 AM Reply   
you're such a h4x0r

i sp34k l33t 2.....

back on the subject, we have a boat rule that if you let go (breaking our #1 boat rule) your turn is over and you have to go to the back of the line.
Old     (brandicita)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-22-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
For the record - Lizrd's little rule worked a lot better than Wes is leading you to believe. There were several moments where I thought that I was going to fall and really wanted to let go of the rope, but I held on and was able to ride it out. I did let go of the rope ONCE out of fear; the second time, I had given the ol' "I'm done" signal, so it really doesn't count. If that second situation does count, I am going to have to start driving a lot more often.

Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-23-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
No, giving the signal that you are done negates the above mentioned rule. My guy and I are the only ones that usually drive our boat so it CAN get a little weird when one of our brothers or buddies drops the handle...

I'm not entirely sure what the w00t-ing is about but I can guess from the shape of it. The rest stumped me h4x0r and sp34k l33t I guess I'm not enough of a nerd although I did take calculus in school and I scored well on the ACT!

(Message edited by lizrd on July 23, 2004)
Old    cheeseinaz            07-27-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
Hey everyone...I finally landed my first 360 over the weekend and hung on to the friggin' rope. Still working on the backroll though. I'm up to about 3 hrs of "backrubs/service" with the driver aka 'the wife.' Thanks for the great idea Lizrd....geez!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-27-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
CONGRATS!!!