Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old    petey20            07-02-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
So I got the boat in the water (2000 X-Star) and I'm pulling the trailer to parking. Going around a steep, tight turn my back axel falls half-way off. The U-bolts on one side sheared off and the axel came loose. I had to drag the trailer another 500ft to parking with the back axel cocked off at 45deg. While in the parking lot, I jacked up the trailer, detached the other side of the axel, and disconnected the brake lines. Now the entire back axel is off.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can I attach the axel by myself? Where do I get the correct hardware (U-bolts, plates, washers, etc.)? How much would it cost to pay the MC dealership to do it?

The boat is at the marina and I'm paying $20 a day to keep it there. At least it's in the water for the 4th. It would have been a disaster if the boat were on the trailer when it fell off.

I'll post pics later...

Any serious advice?
Old     (ceres1312)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
wow that sucks bad. I thought I had it bad when someone backed into my trailer this weekend and broke my buckle buddy tie down. lucky for me they left a note with their number and apologized for the accident. Sorry and good luck.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-02-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
I replaced U-bolts on my trailer, the process was very easy, finding the bolts was another story. I ended up going to a trailer mfg company to get them. My trailer has a square tube drop axle, and most trailer or marine stores only sell round tube axle u-bolts. They were maybe $20 each.
Old     (jwharan)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-02-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
any trailer shop should have the bolts
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-02-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
It is pretty common for those ubolts to get rusted or loose and shear off, but you want to make sure that it isn't a symptom of a larger problem. Often times, when those ubolts work themselves loose, they will eventually shear off, luckily it happened in a parking lot while the boat was off the trailer.

This is an easy fix. Go to a local trailer supply store and make sure you get the same outer diameter ubolt that has the same inner diameter (distance on the inside of the ubolt, it must match the outer diameter of your axle) as the old ubolt (this is the most important factor on replacing ubolts). You also need to make sure that the threads on your new ubolts are the same or longer than your old ones. It might be tough to find the exact same one (length wise) but you need to make sure that you have the same thread distance. What I would recommend is a couple things:
- First, make sure you are getting the highest quality ubolts, there are different grades of metal and the ubolts are often labeled with the quality of the metal.
- Secondly, move to a much larger nut. Most of the trailer bolts use the 1/2" or 3/4" nuts, I would recommend using a 1 or 1 1/4" nut because it gives the nut more threads and has a lesser chance of working itself loose.
- Get high quality (thick) lock washers, this is the key to keeping those nuts tight. Don't be afraid to throw some Lock-Tight on there as well.
- Since this has happened, I would recommend changing out all of your ubolts so you do not have this kind of failure in the future. Quality ubolts are not cheap, but are a sound investment.

PM me with any questions.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-02-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Easy fix, as long as you know how to blead your brakes & have some tools you'll be ok.

These guys have everything you need to get you back on the road.

Allied trailer suply

http://yellowpages.superpages.com/profile~SRC_com411~C_Allied+Trailer~OO_1~L_Sacrame nto+CA~CP_Travel+%26+Transportation%5EFreight%2C+T rucking%2C+%26+Logistics%5ETrailers%5EEquipment+%2 6+Parts%5ERetail%5E~CID_524174~LID_Et6vep8OlcGJD%2 BJus7QIGw%3D%3D~lbp_1.htm
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
hello, i can get the u-bolts for you if you want alos!?!! give me a call whih what you need,

262-968-2514
414-801-0297
www.xtremefabrication.com

thanks,
kal
p.s. or you could just sell me the boat and trailer????? im in the market for a 01-03 Xstar!!!!

have a great day
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-02-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
had a new 1996 prostar 205 dd
loved the boat at the time
but even back then I thought that Mastercraft trailers weren't very good

maybe they have improved them since....donno

I love my Dorsey trailer!!!!
that man can make one helleva trailer

it makes it easy to overlook that it was made in Oklahoma....ha