Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
So last summer I tried w2w and did it a couple times. This summer I'm hoping to do it consistently (um ... not be such a chicken!) and a 180 off the wake. Anyone else set some goals up for this summer?
Old     (marcy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
Finally cleared the wake heelside about a dozen times last summer, but I wouldn't say I was very consistent. So I'd like to lock that up, maybe try and add a grab. I was also very close to clearing toeside but was having issues with handle placement. Would love to try a 180, I can do frontside 180's regular and switch on a snowboard, but for some reason cannot make myself commit on the water. (Probably has to do with the fact that there's not a boat full of people watching only me on the mountain.) Also, need to work on my switch riding and maybe add some switch heelside jumps. Sounds like a long list, but I've got the whole summer ahead of me.
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       04-16-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
heelside w2w-because I missed my goal last summer.
switch-riding smooth, crossing over both wakes
ollie-face plant free for this season
surface 180-because you can't always crash just to ride switch!

Looking at this long ass list makes me wonder why I concentrated only on crashes and face plants last year

Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-16-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
Last year I finally landed my w2ws regular. This year I started doing some w2w 180s, Ive got the halfcab and ts pretty consistent, got to work on that regular hs to be perfect every time! I also want to try the switch ts 180 w2w and Im trying to do the ts fs 360... I think Im close to landing it! Last year I started working on the backroll, but I think Im not ready for it, my body doesnt feel like trying it even though I want it and know what to do.. I think once I land that 360 Ill be so motivated Ill want to try the backroll.

Marcy, think about keeping the handle tight to your body kinda pulling it to your butt. Also (this is going to sound really weird, but I swear it works!) when you're setting for the edge in, do not face your upper body to the wake, face it towards the boat. Put some board angle so you start going in the right direction. Dont forget to keep the handle in and to not bend at the waist. Youre going to be really twisted, but it is easier to keep the handle in that way and you will jump more upright.

ITs not easy to do this, well its not hard, but it requires getting used to cause it feels so weird at the start. Try edging out this way, you're going to need that board angle to edge out with your upper body facing the boat. ITs a good exercise to build some muscle memory.

It is not bad to shorten the rope until you get really comfortable landing on the "other side", also cause you need less effort to get there, so you can really concentrate on your form. Then gradually go out to where you were before!

I got this tip from Dean Lavelle when I went to his school www.wakeboard-school.com and I swear I now love to do ts jumps, and theyre even better than my hs ones some times.

Oh, and forget about that boat full of people!!!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-16-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
And Kylie... loved your rider link!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-16-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
hey cris! sounds like you got yourself a nice trick list there! that's awesome! for your hs180, remember that it's a hs jump w/ a 180. so think of doing a hs jump first. at the peak of your jump, put the handle to your rear hip (stick it in your back pocket!) and look towards the shore. keep your chest up and don't look down!

as for the backroll, once you do it right once, you'll never forget it, and realize it's really easy!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-16-2007, 10:51 PM Reply   
My goals for this season:

-toeside w2w (I landed one at the end of last season)
-w2w 180s
-more solid on my grabs
-work on riding switch (ugh!)

I would love to get the point where I could try an invert, but this is only my second season so we'll see.
My first day out will be this Thursday -- I'm hitting up the Maven session in Phoenix and I'm totally stoked about it!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
kristin - you and i go switch the same way! lol! cris - thanks, and back at you re your premiere in the chick flick!
Old     (michelelef)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-17-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Cris, Thanks for the link. The info was very helpful in the tips section.

Great idea for a thread Kylie-logan!

Last season I met my goal of w2w, but like some of you, I still am not as consistent as I'd like to be. Hopefully all those pointers will help. I was able to consistently land my hs and ts 180s (switch and regular), but I have not been able to do them w2w yet. That will definitely be a goal for this year. Also, I really want to start going for some grabs. I can do surface 360s, but doing one off the wake would be incredible...I think I may be getting ahead of myself.

Enjoy the Maven session Jen! That's awesome! There are no dates listed out this way (in the North East)The weather in Jersey is crazy but hopefully we'll be able to get out soon.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-17-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Joe thanks for the tips! One of my biggest problems is not looking to the shore! and also I have to really think about not letting go with my front hand as soon as I jump.

Jen you're lucky you get to go to a Maven session! There are no dates listed around here either the nearest one would be one in Miami hosted by Miami Ski Nautique, the dates arent settled yet, but it should be late May- early June... and school totally gets in the way! not to mention my pocket lol. Well have fun for all of us that can't attend one and make sure you take lots of pictures and show us afterwards!
Old     (marcy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-17-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
So I'm thinking of trying to hit the Maven session in the Delta in a few weeks. Does anyone know if you have to use their equipment, or can you bring your own?
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       04-17-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
Marcy-
I just went in San Diego. I didn't ask, I just used theirs. Tried the Jett, because it's a 3 stage and I ride the Vixen. I might have done better if I would have taken my board, since I'm used to it and then again, I might not have. The Jett had the fin out, so it took me a couple of runs just to get used to the feel of it.
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I feel very lucky that I get to go! It just so happens that I'm on vacation in Phoenix while it's out here. They did a session in the Chicago area last year and I missed it. I'm sure I'll hit the one in Chicago as well if they do it again.

Marcy -- I got the impression that you can use your own equipment. I brought my board with me out here so I'm going to bring it. But this is only my second season and I've never tried any other boards. So I'm thinking that I would like to demo a couple and see what else is out there. But then I'll have my board just in case.

I'll make sure to get lots of pics to share!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-17-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
I'm going for an invert, 360, switch W2W 180's, more grabs and being consistent on the things I can do now. I want to be more versitile, if thats a word, with my regular and switch riding. But with a broken foot, it's hard to work on those things right now, but I'll be back before the summer gets here!

Good luck to everyone!

Jamie
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
i'm hoping to go w2w too..get a little bit of pop..not get scared of going too fast..not listen to the boyfriend too much :-)
Old     (fishondryland)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-18-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
I just want to get out as much as possible. I have a lot of personal issues in my life that keep me from doing what I like. So I plan on being a little selfish this summer. :-)
Old     (wakinali)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-19-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
I love that other girls set goals, I do for every season, wake and snow. This year I hope to consistanly land my 360 hs fs. And maybe try a couple off axis. I really need to land my backroll, and my half-cab 180. still sketchy to try a tantrum again, since blowing my anckle out, but I keep having dreams about them, we will see. Oh yeah, effortless ts wtw would go on my list too. Have fun stompin.
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-19-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
I went to the Maven sessions last year..obviously it's a lf push to get girls riding, but they are also trying to promote lf equipment..i don't think they mind if you use your stuff, but it's a great opportunity to ride something you might not own..

by the way, does anyone know if there is a wake mag out there geared towards women??
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-19-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
No, and there should be at least one that has some women in it... I think the las 3 or 4 Wakeboarding Mags havent had ANY women in them... except for some ads.. it really makes me a bit angry... I mean, yeah most of the WBM readers are men, but can you tell me what guy doesnt like seeing a girl riding??
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-22-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
My goals is just to ride more....

Chris,I hope you land that hs3,b/c I've been close to it now for 2 years and no go still!
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       04-24-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
Not a bunch of goals here (beginner wakeskater) but it would be fun to:

Get solid on ollies
Land a few surface 180 shuvits

by the end of the summer.

Haven't wakeboarded much since I 1st set foot on a wakeskate...much more natural for me (probably the surfing/skateboarding background...oh yeah...and that I try to snowboard behind the boat when wakeboarding...ha ha ha)
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
a couple of the ski slopes here are still open and near the end of the season a "lake" forms mid-mountain that people snowboard/ski across. i keep wondering if i could just sneak my wakeboard up the mountain, i bet i'd do pretty good skimming across the water on it!
Old     (xstarmeli)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-25-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Life Jacket : $ 60
Wake handle : $70
Board and bindings : $ 700
Wake Boat : $ 50 K
Jump as high as Jamie Lokken on her profile pic: PRICELESS!

That's my goal for the summer! As well as adding more style to my grabs and be more consistent on my 180s.
I wish you all the best summer ever!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
My goals are Toeside WtoW, half cab 180 w to w, and fs360 off the roller. Where do all of you ride/live we are looking for a third tom. april 26th, and/or anytime on the weekends. Rocklin, CA
Old     (deedee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
Been on a wakeskate for a few years and wont go back! got better last summer and have done some winter riding for the flat water and got down my backslide board slide and working on my front side...I have about a 2 to 3 inch ollie (when im lucky) and am working on ollie-ing off the wake...I want to get my 180 down and of course I would LOVE to go wake to wake...Kim are you riding this weekend? I would love to be a third if you need someone and have gas money!!!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Yeah Deedee where do you live what wakeskate are you riding?
Old     (deedee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-28-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I ride a 43" impluse...sometimes a 40"...i like to ride both depending on the water because with the 40 i feel like i have a bit more control if the water is bad. i live in South San Francisco- what do you ride?

(Message edited by deedee on April 28, 2007)
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-28-2007, 11:27 PM Reply   
Melissa - THANKS!! lol If I can get that height I had this summer, I'm gonna work on a bunch of poked out grabs and things. I can't wait to get out and ride... Kinda hard to w/ a broken foot right now though. I drive over the river everyday and it kills me to see the glass out there sometimes!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-29-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Hey deedee I just bought the melissa 06, i was riding my friend byerly. If you are willing to drive up here we would love to have you. I will talk to you more and give you my number at the maven sesion. Sunday pm right? sign up for saturday too. Do you have kids? no kids here. Just cant give up boarding just yet. I am at the maven all weekend. One session does not help me.
Old     (forumriders)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
hey you ladies... if your lookin to get those handle passes down a trampoline sesh works wonders, just tie off the rope to a tree or a house and work on pulling yourself around with the handle while jumping. those of you lookin to w2w for the first time...charge harder pop on the wake.... remember its twice as easy to land on the other side of the wake then it is on top of it. hurts less too. those of you trying for inverts, the toeside front roll is the easiest to learn. and you dont have to do it super big. good luck and let me know how it goes!
Old     (deedee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
nope no kids here:-) Yes one weekend i will make the treck - i am sure it would be well worth it and i could use every moment available to get better. I was thinking this morning b4 i read your post that I would do both sessions. why not right? I am bringing both the 43" and the 40" so i will have both boards to ride and for people to use if they want. Do you know who is going to be there? so stoked.

mike....I am going to grab the old childhood trampolene - sp? from my grandparents house and hopefully learn a few things "wakeskating" on it. totally excited to see if i gain any progress from it. We went to a friends house in the reno/tahoe area and he was ripping it up on the tramp (his feet too tho) so rad

(Message edited by Deedee on April 30, 2007)
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-30-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
Deedee, I think.. Amber wing, Steph wamsley (will be your wakeskate coach), and Shelby Kantar. I hope there is still room for Sat. I am excited! Cant wait to meet ya!
Old     (forumriders)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
dd- you can ducttape a pair of old sneakers to a old wakeskate to make it more interesting. but you dont even need a board to learn handle passes on the tramp, the biggest thing is to learn how to pull yourself around using the handle, dont spin your body, use the handle! (most important part)!
Old     (leens)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Since I just started riding I want to cross the wake and do a 360. My ultimate goal is to jump the wake and learn to ride switch.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-18-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
I just got a tramp... I practiced those 360s yesterday only by pulling the handle. I landed some real good, the only thing is my boyfriend says Im rotating too slow... I want to start trying inverts on it, but I have to admit Im a bit scared! Anyone have any tips??

I'm also going to try to build myself a tramp board this weekend out of a bodyboard or something. It's a loaned tramp so I dont want to damage it with a skate or wood deck.
Old     (forumriders)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
cris, sounds like your doing good so far, another thing is when you approach the wake ready for a three, pull the handle towards you to slack up the rope a bit and to start your spin/pop off the wake, its much eaiser to pass the handle if you slack it up just a bit.

trying inverts on the tramp is actually eaiser holding onto a handle because it keeps you in one spot, and your not likely to fly off the side of the tramp, just tuck your knees into your chest when you flip, and try flipping without a board first...

good luck with it all
Old     (wakechick4life)      Join Date: May 2007       05-26-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
My goal for this summer is to have my backflip down. I've already got w2w's down really good and switch riding, i'm ready to start inverts.
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-29-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
backroll
more solid on my grabs.
t/s w2w would be nice too.
also riding as much as possible since i am at school flying all summer... It's so hard to be outside and not on the lake when it's beyond beautiful outside.
Old     (marcy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-03-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
So how's everyone coming on those summer goals?

Here's the list I started with "Finally cleared the wake heelside about a dozen times last summer, but I wouldn't say I was very consistent. So I'd like to lock that up, maybe try and add a grab. I was also very close to clearing toeside but was having issues with handle placement. Would love to try a 180, I can do frontside 180's regular and switch on a snowboard, but for some reason cannot make myself commit on the water. Also, need to work on my switch riding and maybe add some switch heelside jumps."

I'm still only landing heelside wake to wake about 25% of the time. Finally cleared (once) toeside. Got consistent with single wake 180's (regular TS FS and switch HS FS). Someone commented that they couldn't tell when I was riding switch or regular anymore, so I guess the switch riding has progressed. I can also get about 3/4 of the way across on a switch heelside jump.

So if can get more consistent on that heelside and start adding a grab, I'll have completed my list. Thanks Kylie for starting this post, it really helps me see that I have progressed, even on those days when I feel like it's all I can do to get up
Old     (wakechick4life)      Join Date: May 2007       08-04-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
i've almost got my tantrum, landed it many times just not always with the rope. Pretty close on my backroll as well.
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-05-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
My goals for this season were toeside w2w, w2w 180s, more solid on my grabs, work on riding switch.

Due to my lack of ACL in one knee, I didn't start jumping again until about a month ago (got my heelside w2w back!). And I'm a little hesitant on my toeside jumps because the landings sometimes jar the bad knee. However, I've been working on one wake 180's -- pretty consistent on toeside, have landed a few switch toeside, and am currently working on heelside (landed one the other day but couldn't ride out of it). My switch riding has definitely improved. All things considered, I think I will be very happy with the way my season went this year.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-06-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
Jen, my goals for this year are very similiar to yours! I injured my ACL at the end of last year, so my goals were to get comfortable with HS w2w again and get more pop on my HS jumps, add TS w2w, get more solid on my HS and TS 180's and maybe take them w2w, improve my grabs and switch riding and maybe try a HS 3.

It this point, my HS w2w's feel good even though I have a few things to continue working on. My TS is getting closer to w2w and I'm hoping to get there this weekend with some of the WW tips. I am also much more comforable with switch riding, 1 wake 180's and wake slides. I am still a bit scared to try the 180's w2w though! So far this season has been great fun and this was a great idea for a thread!