Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
I just pulled my boat out of storage to do an oil change, and noticed a strange sound when the motor was running. More specifically it only happens when I bring the motor back down to idle. It does not do it at idle or 2K RPM.
I sounds like low pitch squeal.
Not sure what it is...Anyone ever deal with this???}
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Sounds like a belt slipping or old.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Actually, I didn't read your post right the first time. It could be a belt but that would normally happen on start up or acceleration. On deceleration at slower engine speeds it might be a bearing on a pulley or tensioner that you hear when it gets a harmonic vibration. Pull the belts and turn each one to see if there is smooth movement or excessive play. Look for shiny spots on the belts or wear while they're off.
Sorry about that.
Old    walt            03-18-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
Spray some belt dressing on the belt while running. If the noise goes away replace your serpentine belt. It's a 5 minute job.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Probably a belt or water pump.
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
Unfortunately it sounds like it is coming from the lower rear part of the motor...Im thinking it may be a crank bearing
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
I'm not a mechanic, so does this sound like its a possibility???
Old    walt            03-18-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
Hard to say without hearing it. You should take it in if you don't think it's a minor problem.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
You probably won't hear a crank bearing. If it is what you will hear is a loud low knock when a rod bearing starts to go right after. Shut down immediately if you hear that. If you get a 3' piece of flexible plastic tubing you can put one end to your ear and use the other like a stethoscope to try to narrow down the spot.

What WCW says is very true.