Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
has anyone ever heard of these? someone just listed this boat http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=774691 and i hadn't ever seen one before. Could this thing throw out a decent wake you think?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-16-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
The hull looks very similar to the 1982-1989 '2001' Nautiques. The 2001 nautiques produce very nice wakes when weighted. Go give it a test ride, if the wake looks clean without ballast then it will probably get better with ballast.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-16-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
Baja made a grreat boat! They are owned by Sea Ray now and generally only make samll penis boats these days...

I used to have an '88 baja sun sport (I/O). Very well made and FAST. Easily up to 70 :-)
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-16-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
I went on one of these with thomas horrel yesterday. Its his friends boat and they use it in the bay here in miami and they said the hull is really solid
Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-16-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
I owned one last year and I would not consider one again. Mine was an '87 SK190 and here is what I found. The hull gave a very rough ride even in light(under 1') waves, it did not handle very well either, the fit and finish was awful, very loud and did not achieve a very good speed (about 35mph tops). The wake was not very good for wakeboarding even with 800lbs of ballast--the boat did not have enough power to take off well and when we did get going the handling was awful. I got this boat on trade towards my Supra Mariah and figured I would give it a try. I guess my experiences mimicked others as this model was only produced from '87-'89. Your experiences may be different than mine but I do not have much faith in this model from Baja.
Old     (lowdrag)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-16-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
I also had an '87 SK 190 as my first boat. I will admit my friends and I had a lot of fun on that boat but in retrospect it was a POS. I didn't have any problems with power and top end was mostly limited by porpoising. The wake was not very good for anything. Too large for serious skiing and too washed out for decent wakeboarding. Fit and finish were awful. The stringers were rotting and the floor had soft spots. The most concerning thing was the stern of the boat. The area where the swim platform attached to the hull was pretty soft. While trying to fix the problem, I noticed that it was made of some type of particle board that was sandwiched between thin layers of fiberglass. Water had gotten into it and the wood was starting to rot.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
Hmmm, that isn't worth it considering you can get a 1982-1989 2001 nautique for about the same price with a way better wake.