Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-15-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
so i am looking to get sound to the rider.. i have 4 polk 6.5 db's on the tower, and i own a pair of Skylon Defcon IV reference series speakers that have not been hooked up. i was thinking about getting rid of the Skylon speakers and going with 6 more 6.5 polks, so i would have 10 6 1/2" polks. would that be loader than the pair of skylons and 4 polks? or should i hang on to the skylons?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-15-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
In the boat, hell yes! It will be louder if properly powered. From a projection standpoint, there is no way those standard style speakers will project as far as the compression drivers/horns. All depends on what you are looking for.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-15-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
Do Defcon lV's have HLCD's? If so then they will have a better chance of getting back to the rider although I'm sure 6 more Polks will get back there as well just not as loud or clear.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-15-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Deafcon IVs should be louder than 10 Polks at the rider. Yes the IVs have a horn and one 8" driver versus the V which has a horn and two drivers.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-15-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
I don't see the point in 10 coax speakers in 10 pods when you can have 2 HLCD speakers and be much better off in sound quality and volume for about the same money
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-15-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
it was just a random thought. thank you for your guys input.

Mikeski, dont you have defcons?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
Nope, I have Wetsounds Pro-485's. My buddy had Deafcon Vs on his X30 and had nothing but troubles with them. Another had Rubicon's 3 x 350's + 1 x 450, again nothing but troubles. I am not a fan of the Skylon speakers but still prefer them over Polk car door speakers for the tower. If you power them correctly, run the crossover in highpass at 100hz, and don't push them too hard, they should serve you well. My buddies didn't do too well in the "don't push them too hard" category. The Wetsounds handle way more abuse then the Skylons in my experience.