Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-21-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
hey guys i want to know what is supposed to be the correct stance on a wakeboard i dont mean goofy or regular but how you place the binding angle. Back feet and front feet, straight or with angles ? please let me know and post pics if you can thank you
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-21-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Ducked, or angled, 15 degrees on both feet is pretty normal. Normal is not to be confused with correct.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-21-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
if ur just starting out keep the back foot pretty much straight and the front foot angled out just a little bit. once you get more comfortable or whatever you can angle them both out just a little. when you see peoples bindings both angled out the same amount, its because they ride switch often like landing tricks switch. its to help ride comfortably both ways on the board. for you its really just what feels right for you, there is no right or wrong way to have your bindings(within reason)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
I remember hyperlite having a chart that came with thier bindings that answered exactly this. Beginner you want to be tail justified back foot not angled, front foot 15 degrees ducked, intermediate you want to be centered with both feet equally ducked, and advanced is all the way wide equally ducked I believe. like mike said if you have 180's or 540's you want your bindings centered so you can ride comfortably switch and regular.
Old     (reachjims)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-22-2008, 4:03 AM Reply   
i always lay the board flat on the ground with the bindings just resting on top of it. then stand behind what will become your heelside edge. look straight ahead and jump up, when you feet land naturally on the ground move the bindings to that angle and bolt them on.
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-22-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
^^^^^ i was told this!

It worked well for me and i seem to be able to land comfortably!
Old     (jed_peters)      Join Date: May 2008       06-22-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
I started out with the bindings back on the board--back foot perpendicular to the board, front foot slightly ducked.

I've moved to both feet ducked, still slightly rear (one hole back) on the board).

Since i'm now doing wake2wake jumps, grabs, and learning 180s in the air and getting to where I'm learning riding switch and 180 airs, I'm moving the front binding up one hole to be centered on the board, with both feet slightly ducked out.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-22-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
also remember people often adjust their stance while theyre standing straight up which is not a correct stance. Youll pretty much always bend your knees upon cutting and impacts which youll bend your knees even more.

If you set up your stance with out the bindings ducked youll be putting a lot of pressure on your knees since your making your legs bend at an angle they dont want to.

Also try standing straight up and shifting your shoulders and torso side to side with some force, youll notice you feel very unstable. Then try putting your feet wider apart and bending your knees with your feet ducked and youll feel you have much more control. Thats because thats when your body is in its most solid controlling stance and thats the exact stance you want for wakeboarding.

(Message edited by goride on June 22, 2008)
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-22-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
Jimmy is right on the money!

Left & right foot should be ducked the same no matter your riding level. If you angle them towards your "regular stance" you will make your switch stance that much more difficult. I always teach people to ride switch right away. Both sides are awkward when you first learn so there is not much difference. Most of the time you can learn to ride regular, switch and do 180's on your first day with proper instruction.