Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    tomekrys            05-06-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
1994 Malibu Echelon with Mercruiser 350. Boat sat for about 2 weeks and when I went to the lake radio and lights and everything works but boat does not even turn over or seem to be engaging. This makes me believe 1 of two things. 1. The starter solenoid is done and is not activating 2. The throttle position is not saying its in neutral therefor not allowing the battery to send power to the solenoid. How do I trouble shoot this? Any ideas on if these are the problems? What controls the throttle position being in neutral allowing the engine to be started? Is it a switch? Also which may help is ton of rain came over the last 2 weeks and the the drain plug was in the boat so the bottom of the engine bay filled up with water but not really sure what this could have effected.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-06-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd start with the neutral safety switch. Hold the key in the start position and move the shift lever back and forth. Sometimes the switch can just be a little out of adjustment. No luck there? move on to the starter and solenoid.

First things first, make sure all the power and ground connections at the battery, solenoid, and starter are clean and tight.

To check the starter, use a screwdriver and short across the two big posts on the solenoid. BE CAREFUL when you do this. It will likely spark pretty big and the engine should turn over. If it doesn't, you've got a problem with the starter most likely cause by being submerged by the water in your bilge. If it does turn over, the starter is fine, and you'll want to start checking the solenoid.

First, check if the solenoid is getting voltage from the ignition switch. If it clicks when you turn the key, its getting voltage. If it doesnt click, check to see if there is voltage between the two small posts on the solenoid while a helper is holding the key in the start position. If its getting power and doesnt click, the solenoid is shot. If it isnt, start tracing the wires from the solenoid to find where the fault is.

DKJ
Old    tomekrys            05-07-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Where is the neutral safety switch located? Is this a manual or electric device?
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-07-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Tom,
Do you have the OM? If not I can scan in the pic for you. .. It is in the back. They have a pic for everything. Wiring diagram, plumbing diagram, etc. Shows relative position of all parts too.

Also if you need me to scan it, which motor do you have? Carb or EFI?

Also, if you plan on keeping the boat, you may want to get an owners manual, and parts catalog. You can order them from Mercruisers website. You will need to enter your engine serial number, and then your zip. Click on parts express to do that. Then click on miscalanious.
(Message edited by boarder_x on May 07, 2006)

(Message edited by boarder_x on May 07, 2006)
Old    tomekrys            05-07-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Robb. I sent you a message. After working on it today. I was able to start the boat by having the key in the ignition and jumping/shorthing the posts on the starter slave solenoid located at the top front of the engine. So I think simply this slave solenoid went bad.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-07-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
I replied with the attachment. Let me know if it didn't go through. It was 1.1 MB, so I'm thinking it should have. ... Most ISP's are letting files go through that large by now.
Old    tomekrys            05-07-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
Got it. Thanks!