Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-27-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
Ok… I got my trailer brakes adjusted when my boat was de-winterized about a month ago. They bled the brakes… fluid level was good… even had to use the lockout pit to back up small hills to driveway, so they seemed to be working much better…had no clunk when starting or stopping… all seemed good. I have taken out the boat a number of times locally and the brakes were working fine…. Till this weekend.

Just got back from a long weekend road trip… I am sure the stop and go driving getting back over the pass did not help… I did not have to make any sudden hard stops and did not notice any fluid leaks, but now when I apply the truck brakes the trailer slams into the hitch. I mean SLAMS. Even if I slow down very slowly.

After parking in the drive way and disconnecting the trailer I was able to push the brake actuator all the way in by hand with very little effort…. I assume it’s a bad mastercylinder.
I will check for leaks tonight… not sure if there is a way to test the cylinder.

Any recommendations on aftermarket or replacement mastercylinders?? I wanted to get some more info on brand and prices before I checked with my shop about it. Note I have the stock MC tandem trailer that came with my 98 Maristar. It has a 4pin wire harness, drum brakes, and a lockout pin for backing up.

I am also thinking about going to a 5 pin wire harness so I can back up with out the brakes activating… again I assume that is a function of what mastercylinder I buy.

Thanks for any help.