Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-16-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
Gonna put in my ballast system this spring and have 6 sacs to choose from. I have 2 side sacs @ 260 each, 2 V drive sacs @ 400 each, and 2 L shaped surf sacs @ 700 each. Plan to put 2 bags in front (heavier) and 2 sacs in the back (lighter) I would have no fitting issues putting the surf sacs up front if needed. I tested last fall with the 400 sacs up front and 260's in the back. The wake was decent and clean. I know its best to get out and test, but any thoughts on having the 700's up front and the 400's in the back? Too much weight for a 22' Cobalt? Thoughts? Here is a pic with 400's up front and 260's in the rear with slight trim up @ 21mph.

Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
I don't think an I/O could ever pull that much weight. I would think like 500 in front/midship, 300 in rear would be about it. Also make sure you get the stabilizer sport foil thingie..You know...
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-16-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
When I had 800 up front and 520 in the back, there was not a big loss of power.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Have you found that the boat likes lots of front weight? That is really nice that it will drive ok with the weight! That looks like a nice wake. Have you seen the foils at Overtons?

I would think 2 700s in front is a lot. Maybe 400's? Sorry tough to call for your boat..,.
Old     (fossilfuelburner)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-16-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
Don't use a foil if you're trying to create a bigger wake. It will be counter-productive.

This thread has a lot of information on weighing an I/O. http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=40609
Old     (jasonwm)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-16-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
It's not too surprising that your boat liked more weight in the bow than stern, that's pretty standard with I/Os, especially since they can be trimmed to bring the nose up a bit if the wake is too rampy.

I would recommend installing the largest bags possible in the space allowed. Even if you don't fill the bags completely, you may find that it's beneficial to have extra ballast in front or in back to adjust for the weight of people in the boat.

What pumps are you going to use?
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-16-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
2 Jabsco's. One for the front bags and one for the rears.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
What motor and drive do you have in it? Ours (350 Chev driving a Penta 270, not certain on the prop, big and low pitch anyway) will push a hell of a lot of weight, like accidentally filling the space under floor up (put that in sacs and you'd have them piling up all over the place, I would guess 2000+ pounds) and 8 on board before it has problems staying on plane. Having said that, that day ended badly (drowned the motor, still not going right...) don't go anywhere near that much weight in any kind of chop, if you hit a wave and the boat stops the wake comes over the back real quick.

(Message edited by jtnz on March 16, 2009)
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-17-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
Its 5.7 with duoprop. Running F4 props so power not an issue with heavy loads. Running that much weight does make me a bit nervous cuz there are quite a few bigger boats on the weekends. My wife usually drives when I ride and the kids sit up front. I could just see the look on my wifes face when the front takes a roller with the kids up there. LOL Think I will just stick to the 400's up front and the 260's in the rear. When I get the boat out I have to at least see what the wake is like with the 700's up front and the 400's in the rear before I sell off the surf sacs so I can see what I will be missing. As suggested, it might be too much for the boat anyways.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
Sorry you know your boat way to well for me to advise lol. :-) Do you already have the plumbing and pumps all set up??
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2009, 5:48 AM Reply   
Got everything I need as far as pumps, thru hulls, hose, and switches. Just need to get the boat out of storage, head to the lake and play with some of the sacs to see whats going to work best without overdoing it. Then its time to start drilling some holes and running some hose and wire.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-18-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Simer or aerator?
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Jabsco