Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-07-2014, 7:06 AM Reply   
Anybody have any good replacement options if my wedge access door is MIA?
Attached Images

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Call the dealer and order a new one?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-07-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hey Chatt you forgot the DUH on the end? lol
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-07-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
148 bucks for that stupid little door i think not. But thanks for your creative input gents!
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-07-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
Sorry dude.......I agree 148 bucks is crazy. a piece of Teak and some tools you can prb make one.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
$148 to not have to fab some garbage up is worth it to me. Even if you go buy a piece of plexi, buy a stainless or aluminum hinge, buy some sort of stainless or aluminum latching mechanism you're going to end up investing, what, $30-$50. Then, you have to get your jigsaw, make a template with cardboard, cut a piece of plexi, get your grinder/wirewheel out, smooth the edges, grab a drill and mount the hinge and then finagle a way to get a non-oem latch to work? How long's that going to take you? A few hours to do a good job, and you've accomplished what, exactly? You have a non-oem diy wedge door slapped on a boat worth 30k+. You may have saved $100, but you ended up wasting hours of your life and gas driving to lowes or ace or somewhere to buy parts. Meh, just order the oem part and be done with it.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-07-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
I enjoy working on projects like these with my grandfather, so that was why i was fishing for ideas.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
Have gramps help you install the oem door then take him to Ryans.
Old    stumpf101            04-07-2014, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
$148 to not have to fab some garbage up is worth it to me.... Meh, just order the oem part and be done with it.
+1
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-07-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
+ 2

My weekend is worth a 148$ to me.
Old     (rcazwillis)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-08-2014, 8:49 AM Reply   
These guys have no appreciation for quality time with a relative! My granddad is gone, but he was the type to make his own door. I would love to have had the opportunity to work on something like this with him. If you do make it, post some results!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
As a Person that can appreciate some one spending way to much time and money on something that you could simply buy i will offer my Imput on this subject.

I would get ahold of some King Starboard. Or some other type of Plastic or composite. Most of the King Starboard is White but I have seen black. You can get it in 1 inch thickness. If you had this material you would be good to go. You could use a Magnet instead of the latch to save some $ and just drill a hole large enough so that your finger can fit to pull it up. That way the only thing you would have to buy would be a Stainless hinge
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-08-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
Oh, I appreciate quality time with a relative. I just think it makes more sense to replace a piece of fiberglass with another $150 matching oem piece of fiberglass, instead of wasting a day working on something that won't match or look factory. I'm not saying don't spend time with gramps. Instead, spend time with him doing something that's not going to make your boat look hodge podge.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-08-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
I had to bite my tongue on the first several responses as thank you for pointing out the obvious solution. My grandfather is actually rather gifted with this type of project when give a decent direction to work (I am great at holding the light/small tasks). For example, we reworked the fiber glass on my old CBR 600 to look almost new. Being I had previously received such quality input on my prior projects with my Mastercraft thought it couldnt hurt to ask...

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/4348630100.html

Half tempted to buy this platform take the part i need and resell it for $300.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2014, 12:14 PM Reply   
I saw this stuff as a Stall devider at HomeDepot . Looks like ABS. I bet you could find a scrap piece for the size of your project for Under $20 this stuff would work perfict.
Attached Images

Old    stumpf101            04-08-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Im not trying to hate on anybody's craftsmanship or telling you not to spend time with your grandfather. I just would rather pay the money not to have to use a weekend to fabricate a door and accually be on the boat with my grandfather, but if your set on doing a project and he has the skills dont let everyone else tell you not to do it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2014, 12:19 PM Reply   
With a piece of scrap abs and a stainless hinge any Man with a saw and 30 Mins could knock this project out. I can understand if your toolbox consists of a Phonebook and credit card this would be a all day project and your better off ordering a stock one.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-08-2014, 1:24 PM Reply   
Being I live in the Icy tundra they call MN i have a month before the ice it out. Thus, these projects are ideal for this time of year. Greatly appreciate everyone's input on good alternative materials for creating one with my grandpa this weekend!