Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-26-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
Just finished testing the boat on the lake. First time rebuilding a transmission and all went well. The local shop wanted 3000 to do it and all it cost was 145 for the kit and a day of my time to pull build and install. Makes me wonder what other things the repair shops could do in 1/3 the time and for half the cost.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-26-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
Do you have a background in working on engines/trannies or are you just a weekend warrior?

I'm just curious because I'm like you, I see what the shops charge for labour and wonder if it can be DIY.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-26-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
more power to you but a tranny isn't something I'd try fixing myself.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
Nice stuff Trevor. Did you do a basic rebuild or get aftermarket (stronger clutches etc.)?
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       06-27-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
Trevor, did you need any special tools?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-27-2009, 11:37 PM Reply   
I might give the repair a try. I am always surprised how easy things can be to fix once I commit to it then roll up my sleeves and get dirty. Figure worst cast scenario is that you need to pull the trans twice if you end needed a new one anyway.
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-28-2009, 6:16 AM Reply   
Yeah for 3K I'd definitely be doing it myself.....or at least try. Good job.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-28-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
Nice

I rebuilt mine in my old boat but it took me a couple weeks. Good to see others not afrait to rip into things
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-28-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
shop prices are indeed ridiculous! i had to replace the engine side seal of my transmission a few weeks ago. the shop gave me an estimate of $1200. i did it myself for $465:
*$130 for a seal
*$90 for Speedy Sleeve
*$70 for overnight shipping of speedy sleeve - insane i know...unfortunately i was unaware of the shipping cost until i picked it up from the shop (i was expecting maybe $30)
*$15 for new tranny fluid
*$160 for a local mechanic who showed me how to do a few things (like pull the tranny from the engine), and let me use a few of his tools.

i was only without a boat for a day and a half...woulda been less but i had to wait for the Speedy Sleeve to arrive.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-30-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Sorry it took so long to respond. First of all, I have basic mechanical skills but nothing serious. There were no special tools needed. To put the clutch pack together it calls for a press to install the snap ring but i just had my brother stand on it while i put the snap ring on. I did put heavier duty clutch plates in and if you go to velvet drive website they have a pdf file that has step by step detailed instructions. This tranny is NOT like a car either. there are no bands or confusing details. Very simple and straightforward. The hardest part was figuring out how to take out the seats and fiberglass molding. If anybody in my area ever needs to do this I would be willing to give a hand. I hate seeing 1 boat repair shop rape us because they know most people are intimidated or nervous about doing this stuff themselves.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-01-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
What transmission did you rebuild?
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
IT was the 71C velvet drive transmission. The 70C,71C, And 72C are all the same though.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-02-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
I think most people let the shop do the work for one of two reasons.... 1) They are afraid of the unknown and think they might screw up. 2) Time is money and they'd rather pay someone else even if it costs a fortune.

I've been fixing up an old truck that I'm using for my tow vehicle. I know how to do most of the work, but having the proper tools is another thing. I bought some ball joints that I was going to install myself, but the puller I had wasn't cutting it. I ended up taking it to a shop and having them install my parts for me. It was still cheaper than buying the parts from the shop doing the work.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Maybe I should start doing boat repairs then in my workshop. I could charge half what most buisnesses do and still make a bundle. Plus its enjoyable to do on the evenings when you dont have time to get to the lake
Old     (spoon5285)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-02-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
I rebuilt the velvet drive in my old 79 ski nautique. It was a lot easier then i thought it was going to be. I grew up rebuilding dirt bike and truck motors with my dad though.

With even marginal mechanical skills, I think most people could do it. Just need the manual for whatever transmmission your rebuilding, and take pictures as your tearing it apart. You think you will remember what washers go on top of others, but you wont!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-02-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Phillip,
One of my newest favorite shop tools is a digital camera. You can take hundreds of photo's and be able to look at the quickly and easily.
I have my pc hooked up to my big screen so when re-installing my motor/trans we had pictures zoomed in to larger then life to double check stuff.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-02-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
Trevor, those guys were trying to steal from you, a brand new 71C unit goes for U$D1500 and a normal rebuild goes around U$D800.
Old     (lilsumo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-02-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Trevor said he used some after market or better clutches, but where did you buy them at? I may need some real soon and can't find no upgraded stuff.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-03-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
Luciano, Thats the problem when there is only 1 boat shop in town. They think they can rape us and most people take it. The more I think about it I am seriously thinking about doing some side work. I work week on week off as it is so plenty of time for tinkering.