Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    wakegal02            02-07-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
For a beginner/intermediate rider what's the first invert you should learn?
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-07-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
It depends on what you are comfortable with. HS Back roll or Tantrum for sure tho. Take a look at the fundamentals involved in the two tricks, and decide which one you are more comfortable with. For some tantrums come before rolls, and visa versa. Hope this helps.
Old    wickedwake            02-07-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
Most say HS backroll should be the first...
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-07-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
I have found that Tantrums don't have the edge catching affect on falls like a backroll can, tho. Like I said before, it's up to the rider.
Old    wakegal02            02-07-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
Thanx, I'll probably try both and see which one feels the best.
Old    murrayair            02-07-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
Tantrums were much easier for me than backrolls when I started learning inverts last summer. And you wont get banged up as bad when you bail. Good luck!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-07-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
tantrums if done correctly should feel completely effortless, and be the most natural feeling invert
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-07-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
I chose the HSBR cuz you keep both hands on the handle and you don't move the handle. Only landed one so far, so take it FWIW.

I found the BR crashes painful to the twins. A string of BR attempts at Havasu (and the three days of ache that followed) encouraged me to get them lycra shorts (homey-tights) to wear under boardshorts while riding.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-07-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
Exactly what Kevin said. Sick riding btw, you still get out on the water? Done correct, the tantrum should feel effortless.
Old    murrayair            02-07-2005, 10:51 PM Reply   
Yup. Once you get the "trip flip" edge down, you just grab the popcorn, sit back, and let the wake do all the work. The only other thing I would mention is to try to look over your rear shoulder when you are learning it, otherwise you might end up landing facing straight forward. The cool thing about the tantrum is that, if you screw it up in mid air, you can really pull it together in time to make a half decent landing.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-08-2005, 7:56 AM Reply   
I seem to have this pull the handle dilema with tantrums which result in me eating it as I start an extra 180 rotation. Backrolls I like to let go of the handle on. So needless a few seasons of trying I've still not landed either one. I'm thinking of trying something front rotational myself.
Old    wakegal02            02-08-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
This may not be true at all but wouldn't a front flip kind of invert (sorry don't know the technical term) be easy too since all you do is drop your front shoulder near or at the peak of your pop? or is there more to it than that? All the videos I've seen on this site or t.v. make it look like thats all there is to doing a simple front flip invert (again not sure of the technical term) Please help me out here.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-09-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
Wbrdgrl a front flip is one of the hardest most onforgiving tricks on the water, areal ankle and knee killer..However a Front ROLL off the Toeside edge is not to hard or scary to do but you MUSTY have a godd control and decent POP on your toeside because you must slightly overrotate this trick to land on your toe edge to ride away clean..this front roll is butt checked and for us gys a real ball banger :-)Most Newbies havent figured their toeside out yet so this is USUally not a good first invert..

i have to agree or put my input in on the First Invert usually in most cases ive seen is the HS Backroll/This was the case for me..ive landed 5 inverts in my time and am consistent on three of them.Now A tantrum is NOT one of them..i have a hard time throwing straight flips and always seem to go revert or blind on my Tantrum as well as TS backroll which have similar flip technique..

For those that cant flip well on a tramp,or off a boat or diving board will find the Backroll easier since it is the most natural WAKEboard invert..

for those who have a backround in Gymnastics,can flip staright back on land or from a tramp might find the tantrum easier..

me ive been riding 6 seasons and still dont have a tantrum but my backroll is almsot automatic..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
I started with a Blind Pete, and then moved on to a Slim Chance.
Old    saxosham            02-09-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
Backrolls or tantrums, I learned backrolls first. Give them both a try and go for which ever one feels most comfortable to you. If you can visualize it before this is a big help.
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
One of the reasons the BR and Tantrum are easier to learn it the fact that you can spot your landing a little early in the rotation. On both 3/4 the way around you start to spot the water. Where on a front flip you are still looking up.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
what a coincidence j-rod me too!
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-09-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
Really? That's so sick. I started with a back mobe, them a whirly5. My tantrum came later. Hahaha.