Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
Just wondering what wetsuits any of you are using. I already know that a drysuit with layers of clothes is great but I'm specifically wondering about wetsuits. I'm considering the Xcel Infinity X-Zip 3/2 with chest zip. Coldest I'll probably be in is 55 degree water.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-17-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
I've heard good things about the xcel line up, but never had one on.

In the past I had a old jet pilot neon green thingy from jetski days (don't ask!), then stepped WAY up to an O'Neill Psycho.

Very warm suit with the taped seams, super flexible, super comfy back zip. But almost TOO much suit for wakeboarding. Good for surfing because it keeps you warm while you're IN the water waiting, but almost too warm once you're on top of the water.

This year I bought a neck zip Hyperflex AMP-K with the leg vents for kiteboarding/wakeboarding and really like it. Lot cheaper than the O'Neill, with a lot of neat features ( drain ports in the legs being one of them !)

After having the neck zip, I don't think I'll go to a back zip again, I really like the smaller zipper and it seems VERY easy to get in and out of.

good luck!
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-17-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
Heard things about the Xcel suits myself, buy buddy has a Ripcurl fireskin, I've got a Jetpilot Capsule now, and plan on buyin' another soon, which was way warmer than my first wetsuit which was an O'neil Hammer suit (didn't know at the time), but I know now the differences between a type like the Hammer and a more solid type like the Capsule.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
55 degrees you would need a 5mm suit if you are truely in 55 degree water.a drysuit would be better.
Old     (sxjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-17-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
oneill psycho 2 3/2 you will be sweating. been out in 45 degree water with no problems.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-18-2010, 1:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
55 degrees you would need a 5mm suit if you are truely in 55 degree water.a drysuit would be better.
I have to disagree in my case at least. I'm no wuss in cold water but I do about as good as the average person I think. I can comfortably do 63-64 in just a heater top and do multiple sets throughout the day. I would just stop wakeboarding if I needed a 5mm suit, even a 4/3 I wouldn't be out there. I believe I can easily handle 55 degrees in a 3/2 chest zip with a waterproof zipper in a highend Xcel suit. I spoke to two surf shops today and they said they are using 4/3 suits in the upper 40's-low 50's and 5mm suits in the 40's. I appreciate the concern and I'm just not liking the effort needed for drysuits. I've seen my friends take forever it seems to get in and out of them and they complain about being restricted in their movement..

Last edited by you_da_man; 09-18-2010 at 1:34 AM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-18-2010, 4:56 AM Reply   
if you are in 55 degree water air temp is usually 60 degrees or less going 21 to 23mph wind chill comes into play also. i too have a heater shirt which i use in 65 degree and above water but air temp must be above 70 degrees to stop wind chill factor.no human could take half hour exposure while wet in 55 degree water and 3/2 suit feet/hands and face are still exposed. i agree you could get in a couple of 5 or 10 minute sets if you consider that short a time worth the effort.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-18-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
you'll be a little it cold in a 3/2 when its 55. I surf in 55 degree water in my 3/2 and its not bad. Below that and I go to my 4/3 and I'm totally fine. If you get a good 4/3 its not that restrictive. Xcel is known for being pretty flexible. Honestly, if it too hot for my 4/3 i usually don't need a wetsuit. I'd say just get the 4/3 its only a few dollars more and you'll pretty much always be warm.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-18-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
Not sure about the statements about 55* water. I've been riding in 55* water just trunking it and finally last season got a heater top which I rode with until water temp hit 50*. Yeah it's cold and uncomfortable and fingers get numb and such after a while, but when you don't have a full suit you make do. This was measuring water temp with sensor on my depth gauge. I've done this plenty of times and just gotta watch for the signs of being too cold, blue lips, pale face, etc.

Actually considering a full suit but have held off because worried about fit and don't know of any local places to try. I'm relatively tall and at 6'4" and 34 waist even finding pants my size is a pain, I'd imagine wetsuits are more difficult. Not to highjack but anyone know of a suit that fits tall folks well?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-18-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
all the wetsuit manufacturers have xtra tall or extra long suits . in 55 degree water the drysuits i've seen would work vey well.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-18-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Not sure about the statements about 55* water. I've been riding in 55* water just trunking it and finally last season got a heater top which I rode with until water temp hit 50*. Yeah it's cold and uncomfortable and fingers get numb and such after a while, but when you don't have a full suit you make do. This was measuring water temp with sensor on my depth gauge. I've done this plenty of times and just gotta watch for the signs of being too cold, blue lips, pale face, etc.

Actually considering a full suit but have held off because worried about fit and don't know of any local places to try. I'm relatively tall and at 6'4" and 34 waist even finding pants my size is a pain, I'd imagine wetsuits are more difficult. Not to highjack but anyone know of a suit that fits tall folks well?
Xcel has suits that will fit you. Xcel suits seem to have a more precise fit than most brands
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2010, 3:55 AM Reply   
I have a Psycho2, it's justa 3:2 to not restrictive and I love it.
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-20-2010, 5:09 AM Reply   
PsychoFreak- the Psycho II has real good seals, which meant I couldn't get my darned feet throught it easily!! PsychoFreak is basically thick (4.5/ 3.5) neoprene with mini air pockets/ bubbles in it which act as an insulating layer which does not rely on the seals. A guy said on Saturday it's like it's got a herringbone pattern to it where you can see the bubbles in the surface- and on the cuffs you can see these little gaps where the bubbles are cut.

Having said that the seals are ace- takes quite a wipeout to get the inside of the suit wet.

Best thing I ever bought, here in England I'll be in it until March at least!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
I have a 3/2 Oneill F-Bomb and love it. I just picked up a 4/3 Xcel and can't wait to try it. Actually I can wait because that means the water temps are low 50's. I would highly recommend a chest zip in whatever brand you pick up. It is so much easier to get in and out of.

You will not need anything more than a 4/3. Do not go with a 5mm. Here are the ranges I use for my suits: 55 degrees and below = 4/3, 56 and up 3/2
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-20-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
I have the O'Neill Psychofreak wetsuit in a 4/3. Awesome suit.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-20-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Xcel Infinity or Drylock (preferred) on Whiskey is the way to go. You can get 400 dollar suits for 150-180.

I've had them all and I own 4 Xcel's. All of the brands fall apart if you use them regularly (4-6 days a week) so get the one that fits the best. Xcel will take care of you warranty wise, but most will.

If you rarely see 55, get the 3/2.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-20-2010, 8:55 PM Reply   
^ Trust Blabelmooch, he knows what he is talking about. People around here seem to like the Xcel the best. I have an O'Neill Psycho 3/2 that I got for super cheap, and it also is great. I surfed Santa Cruz one evening on New Year's Eve and wasn't even that cold. I had a Bare 4/3 Steamer back in the day, found it a bit too much for wakeboarding.