Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-22-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Have been looking for a newer boat and selling my 94 Prostar. It has been event ful to say the least. I have been contacted twice by scammers "that wanted to purchase my boat" only to find out they were trying to get my Pay Pal acct info ect... NEVER give anyone any info like that and I didn't fall for it. Ended up having an FBI agent contact me cause the guys were trying to scam other on the Onlyinboards site.
I have been lookin for a Bu VTX and had found one in an ad on boattrader.com that turned out to be a major scam as the guy even had set up fake Google "escrow" acct info trying to get people to put a "good faith deposit" down for "serious buyers". The guy had a great story but the VIN #s did not check out with Malibu and other stuff started to feel fishy so I gave all the contact info ect,.. on that deal to the FBI internet crime investigator as well. Point being here is, BEWARE!
I try to be very detailed in my reasearch ect.. but I have had a 3wk bout with kidney stones and have been on alot of pain meds(,2 surgeries) and I could have easily been duped if not for being very cautious and checking all facts ect... even on all the meds. So be careful folks! These scammers these days are setting up alot of fake stuff with stories and scenerios that make sense and look good but are fake. I was also warned by the agent to have any payments ect.. checked by a bank before release of the boat ect.. because of fake money orders,cashiers checks,ect... Sure makes life harder for a honest person.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-22-2011, 8:01 PM Reply   
When I was boat shopping this year I found a great deal on an X-star. Guy had a good story, lots of info on the boat, pictures vs. area matched up, story made sense, etc. Very American name followed by a very foreign accent when I called the guy. Dude wanted to do some Escrow BS, which of course I wasn't going to do. I told him I will see what I can do through my bank, but I'm not using some outside Escrow service. He ended up taking down the listing that evening never to put it up again.

He was one of the better scammers as far as prep went, but he didn't know how to close, lol.