Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Yesterday we hosted the Second Annual Norcal Wakesurf Championships at Lake Yosemite in Merced. The air temperatures hovered around 105 and the "brisk" water of the lake started the day around the high 50's. :-)

Robert Garcia of Wake9.com is posting HD video of every rider's run and he has well over 1,000's photos that you can view here:

http://wake9.com/blogs/norcal-merced-wakesurfing-competition-2009/

Many thanks to everyone that helped us out, I am so fortunate to have a great group of supporters. Amy and Robert Garcia for the ski's, the blogging and video. They and their kids are the best! Dennis Horton for his Safety and Judging skills. Josh and Kit Howell for judging, entrance and driving skills. Epic Wakeboats for stepping up to lend us boats when no one else would. Inland Surfer for the great swag. asylum boardz for the new board gift certificate. Samson Towers for the sweet mirror and $'s! Also Wake9.com for the much appreciated cash, blogging and picture hosting. Also to the many others that I have forgotten, but will most likely remember through out the day! I appreciate all of the support and help, with you, it couldn't be done.

Again, the vast majority of the pictures will be at www.wake9.com, do be sure to visit to read and see the entire event.

A few of the pictures of the prizes and podium, plus the results for each division follow.

Rober Garcia blogging away and supporting the event.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
The Wake9.com and Samson Towers boat.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
The various watercraft used in the event.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
We were fortunate to have mostly families with tons fo kids there to enjoy the contest. In the 105 degree heat, that water was quite refreshing.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
My only riding picture - Alec Wood of the Shred Stixx team. Be sure to visit the wake9.com web site to see all the riders pictures and video's.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
The coveted TROPHIES! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
As mentioned earlier, we had a number of prizes. Inland Surfer donated a bunch of swag.

Heather Jones took home one of the wakesurf ropes.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
RJ Garcia took home the other rope.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
Nick Scott drove all the way from Idaho to join our contest, and took home the great Inland Surfer Tote.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Greg Muniz won the Roush.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
Josh and Kit Howell generously donated this board and Megan Wood is now calling it hers!

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Daryl Wood, father of Megan and Alec walked away with a customed painted Walker Project Composite X.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
Jens Niederreiter won the sweet Samson tower mirror.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
Ella Niederreiter won the Stripes. When sizing the Stripes be sure that it is at least 2 feet longer than your height. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Ny first omission! David Wiley photographer extrodinairre! David drove all the way from SoCal to help out. After virtually no sleep, he took all of the picture with only a brief to compete in the Master's division. David thanks SO much for all of your help and understanding.

David won the SS Thresher.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Included in the swag from IS were a few lanyards, T-shirts and License Plate frames. Alec Wood won one of the lanyards! :-) as did Whitney Garcia.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
And nooooooooooowwwwwwwwww, the results of the contest.

In the hotly contest Mini-Kahuna Boys division the podium had:

First Place: Jens
Second Place: Hayden
Third Place: Tommy

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Another great competitive division, Mini Kahuna - Girls

First Place: Ella
Second Place: Maddy

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
The highly contested Youth Boys

First Place: RJ
Second Place: Tim
Third Place: Greg

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
Great riding in the Youth Girls

First Place: Adriana
Second Place: Megan
Third Place: Whitney

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
The amateur women's was great fun to watch.

First Place: Heather
Second: Ashley

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Off to the pro's! Men's open - Skim

First Place: Sean
Second Place: James
Third Place: Nick

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Men's open surf saw some great riding.

First Place: James
Second Place: RJ
Third Place: Alec

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
The TOUGHEST competition came in the Master's division! Dennis is landing his 3's! How can we over-the-hill'ers compete with that!

First Place: Dennis
Second Place: Jeff
Third Place: Judy

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
My final pictures is of Josh and Kit Howell. These folks are so generous with their time and and donations. We so appreciate all that you do for the sport.

Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-18-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Josh looks tired. Probably from swatting bugs all day.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-18-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
It was nice to see everybody again. Glad to have been able to make it.

We took the long road home and just got here at 9:30 am. time to put a long movie in and take a nap.
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-18-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
Looks like a great time! Why do I keep missing all these awesome events?
Old     (liquid119)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-18-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
That was crazy, we needed a freakin misquito net covering the boat. 9:30am is is a long drive, I take it you stopped on the way home? You are a champ for making that drive back home last night. Our drive was only 2 hrs and it sucked, I dont want to even think about yours.
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
Thanks! DM, you rock. I'm glad that everyone had a good time, the bugs were crazy weren't they?
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-18-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
thanks everyone for supporting the event ! !
cheers, jeff p
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-18-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Yeah, Shannon drove until about 9ish, but stupid me didn't sleep during that time Then I drove until around 11 and just couldn't go any further. We passed out until about 5....talk about a rip van winkle feeling upon waking up from that nap... Then we had a nice breakfast & came home to....more napping. The combo of low sleep the night before + being on the boat in that heat all day knocked me out. In fact it is probably the reason I didn't get a trophy

I'd do it again in a heartbeat just to sit next to Dennis for another day , make fun of Kit for hating all bugs except ladybugs, and talk MMA with Josh while he dodges jetskis. (by the way, there were more jetskis than bugs out there.)
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       05-18-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
Heres a few photos i took at the contest David Wiley took most of and other photos.The riders in the Masters division order was Jeff Walker,Daryl Wood,Judy Walker,David Wiley & Dennis Horton

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-18-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
Wilsey
Old    surfdad            05-18-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
My bad! I'm sorry, David!!!!!

Judy makes that wake look HUGE. She is the ultimate wakesurf wake model.

Thanks Vince for shooting the Masters division.

(Message edited by surfdad on May 18, 2009)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-18-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
She certainly does.

Jeff, i wish I lived next to you so I could come over for dinner every night.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
shredding dave.
we missed you at ncc8. but i see that you rather surf then skate now
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-18-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
Not necessarily. I only had Sunday, which for NCC is get away day. And I had the family with me....tell me, was NCC8 appropriate for an 8 year old girl?

I will be there in the fall. I missed being there too. Looking for pictures now.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
we got an 8 year old girl up on a winch wakeskating. and a 7 or 8 year old kid hiting a rail on a wakeboard.
but im just giving you a bad time dave. haha

that looks like a really fun event.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-18-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
Jeff,
After looking at the Master's podium I finally get why I always have to sit in the back corner in your boat.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-18-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
We need to thank Gary Smith and Ben Carroll of Epic boats for bringing the boats and handling all the boat transfer duties. Gary drove all the way back to San Diego after they event.