Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-10-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
Who is wise on the use of green Sta-bil in their tanks when re-fueling on a regular basis at land gas stations?

My PCM owners manual discourages against burning ethanol blends. Yet ethanol blends (gasohol) are purportedly mandatory. There is also supposed to be, in Missouri among other states, a sticker on dispensers (pumps)that dispense ethanol blends. But the truth is that there has been some wavering with the legislative and enforcement branches of government over this. No one can ever be sure what they're getting.

I run as advised 87 octane (high combustion rate, but low on combustion-rate slowing, anti-knocking additives in 89 or 91 ocatane) from brand stations (eg., Conoco-Phillips).

Still, I always add the green Sta-bil whether I have any idea if the fuel is ethanol blend or what.

What other ideas do people have on this issue?

I'm kinda of hijacking another post, and I'll link it here, so whoever has fuel wisdom, respectfully, we wish you'd share.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/715022.html?1247275275
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-10-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
I add the green Sta-bil, but somehow I think I am wasting my $$.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-13-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
You're not wasting your money keep putting in the Sta-bil with ethanol fuel.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-13-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
The Green Sta-bil was designed to fight the effects that the Ethanol fuels have on the fuel system. I have been told if you run your boat on a regular basis you don't need to worry about it. I stay away from it and still go buy the Non-Ethanol. We have a few stations that you can get it from but they charge an arm and a leg for it.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-13-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
I have been running the Blue Sta-bil because it is marine rated supposedly and fights the effects of Ethanol...seems to help . I add it about every time we get out.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-13-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
Will a water separating filter make a difference? What I hear is that ethanol helps produce water in the tank plus it dissolves some type of tank materials like fiberglass as well as hoses.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-13-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Then what's with the red Stabil? That's what I have been putting in the boat. Says on the back of the bottle, "powerboats". I've never seen green or blue Stabil.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-13-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
Blue Sta-bil? It's like those dumb ballast impellers. I'm on my third color and I'm still a color behind.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-13-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
It's an open fuel system that they put in boats. The problem is the condensation that is produced inside the fuel tank and hoses. It doesn't matter if you use the boat all the time. Is the boat full at night when you leave it on the lake? Do a search on the internet and you'll find all the people that have need new engines because they didn't use sta-bil.

If you can find the none ethanol gas then you don't need to worry about it.

yes it's red sta-bil that you want to use.

Here is a link that will answer all your questions.

http://www.boatoregon.com/OSMB/news/E10.shtml

Fuel Stabilizers for Gasoline
Because E-10 gasoline has a much shorter "shelf-life" than blended gasoline, Wayne Bauman, Treasurer for the Beaverton Power Squadron, recommends three different products boaters can use with E-10:

* Marine Formula Sta-Bil
* Soltron Enzyme Fuel Treatment
* Star Tron Gasoline Additive.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-13-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
Now im confused...per the Gold Eagle website lol...
Upload

STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer
STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer is America’s top selling fuel stabilizer. Stored fuel can go bad in as little as 30-60 days causing gum, varnish and corrosion to build up in the fuel lines and engine. STA-BIL is recommended to be used AT EVERY FILL UP in all vehicles and equipment to protect against corrosion caused by today’s Ethanol-blended fuels.

Marine Formula

Marine Formula STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment & Performance Improver contains DOUBLE the corrosion preventers and more than FOUR TIMES the fuel system cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL to prevent against corrosion and deposit build up in Marine Engines. Use AT EVERY FILL UP to protect your boat or other marine equipment from the damaging effects of Ethanol in the marine environment.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-14-2009, 5:15 AM Reply   
Well, I just went to the manufacturer's site and read about the Marine version. If it does what they say it does it should be better for boats. I am going to use it at every fill-up from now on.