Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-04-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
Over two million people in north central Ohio and I can find only two people to go wakeboarding? Do people still wakeboard? I have been on find a third for the last month and I still have not been out yet this year. I know the economy is down, does anyone know where I could get a nice wakesurfing boat for a cheap price, like a repo? I have a malibu response that I am able to surf behind, but its not a huge wake.
If anyone is going to cedar point this summer shoot me an e-mail, I ride about 10 minutes east of cedar point in huron, ohio and it is always flat. If you do go to cedar point look out in the bay, if you see a 13m yargo kite, that would be me.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
I feel your pain. I live in uniontown (15 min south of akron) All my friends seem to hate going out on the boat for some reason. I think there are some boarders here but maybe just not on this site. i was out at westbranch yesterday and say a lot of wake boats on the water and in slips. The water was trashed though.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-08-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
hey Nick, i just went out to the huron river for the first time this year yesterday, like usual it was flat and not too many boats, on the weekend! the boat is running fine, but my skills are a little rusty(just need more practice), but it was great to get out. we needed a third on saturday, so had to cancel. Do you get any days off during the week? i have no problem trailering the malibu to west branch during the week.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-08-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
Nick, You're pretty close, you ever make it out to Water's Edge Boardshop out here in Lake Milton?
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
Hey guys I'm originally from WV near Mountaineer Racetrack and gaming Resort. I know there are people who ride in Columbus and Pittsburgh. I have seen them post on here. I know it's a bit of a haul, but if you make a full day of riding, well worth it.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Joe,
I dont have any weekdays off. I can get off early if get in early. I havent boarded yet since i am waiting on my bindings to arrive. I am pretty much still a beginner wakeboarder. never surfed. west branch is about 35 minutes from my house plus launch time.
Nick,
never been to milton. I am going to try and make it this year but it would be a weekend though. any good water on weekends?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-09-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
Duffy, columbus was pretty good, it was raining up here one day last year, so i trailered to columbus and had a great day. i have not been to pittsburgh yet, what is the best lake? or do you just ride on the rivers?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-09-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Columbus area lakes are nice because they have no jet ski and no tubing rules.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-09-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
Nick, It's not too much farther from West Branch. Weekends are iffy out here, You can find rideable water, but it's not going to be the lake's best conditions, weekdays are your best bet for glass.
However the shop carries Liquid Force, Hyperlite, Bylerly, Slingshot lines. They've always taking good care of me and they have great deals on all of their products. I'm just letting you know, it seems like a lot of people in the area still don't know it's around.
And to anyone in the area, they are holding an Amatuer wakeboard competition on Lake Milton on June 20th. Beginner through Outlaw. They have more info on their website http://www.weboardshop.com
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-09-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Joe, check your PM's
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-09-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Mike, did not get your pm (anybody else have this problem?) please e-mail me at buckthistwo@yahoo.com
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-10-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
Jo Shmoe,

I can't tell you the best lakes because I have not rode there, I just go by what I hear and read. When I visit my Dad in WV I ride with a friend in Wheeling on the Ohio River.

I just go on maps and look for bodies of water. Then if I see something I zoom in on the "Birds Eye" view, this feature is on MSN. Google has one similar but IMO MSN maps is better. But it looks like the Maumee river would be a good place. I can only see it via a map, but I see boat ramps. Rivers are ideal because they are typically calmer than lakes. Plus depending on how far up the river you can go the more narrow it gets the better. The bigger and wider the body of water the more vulnerable it becomes. As I said I just saw it via satellite, so you may just have to go check it out.

Good luck and if your ever in Florida hit me up!
When I get back up that way maybe I'll roll up there and ride with you guys!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-11-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
last time i was at maumee there were hundreds of tree logs on the river, i would hate to hit one of those.
there are over a million people that visit cedar point each year, there are some excellent riding spots in the area, if you come up here shoot me an e-mail.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-11-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
Jo,
The maumee isn't bad. I ride by rossford perrysburg all the time and its usually glass by this island reguardless of wind. My friend who lives in fremont rides on the sandusky river and that place is glass everytime I've been there and is very narrow. Hope that might help if you needed to find places to ride.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-19-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
I didn't have a problem with maumee, it was great, try to get out once a year there, but i couldn't believe how many logs there were.
Nobody is going to cedar point?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-19-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Wish the Maumee was deeper, only 6 to 8 ft. I grew up in Maumee and ride there at least once a year with my brother's family. I ride near Ft. Meggs/Ft. Miami. Does any one know how deep it is up stream of Mary Jane Thurston.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-29-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
cedar point, a fun place to be, huron river, even more fun! even if you head up to kalihari water park to try some surfing on the flowrider, shoot me an e-mail
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-29-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
Show,
By mary jane thurston and down through napolean it is an average of atleast 10ft. Deep. There is obviously deeper spots of 13 and 14 at points and shallow spots but the majority it is 10. Over by the rossford and perrysburg area its get to about 12 ft. At the deepest point. I ride by the island and its about 8 ft. Right there. The river is just deep enough to ballast.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-29-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
All I do is surf. I like 12 ft of water but a steady 8 ft will work. Thanks for the info.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       07-01-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Andrew, what kind of boat are you in? I dock at Rossford and ride in the cut a lot. I am sure we have passed each other. I have a white and blue Moomba with a black tower.
will you guys be out this weekend? I have heard the cops will be out full force checking boats. Keep an eye out for them...
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-01-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
I found the Kalahari flowrider to be different. Not surfing, more like snowboarding.

A lot of Coast guard checks on the rivers, be ready. My brother-in-law might hit you up, he lives in Avon Lake. He's a Cali surfer wondering what wakesurfing is. Have fun.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-01-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
The only time I can see you seeing a lot of logs in the Maumee is right after a storm. Normally its fine. I ride and live on it. At the end of my dock, the depth is 13ft, and thats from the bottom of the boat, so id say 15-16ish and id say it averages 10 between grand rapids and napoleon. I have a place on the river, and dock. You guys are more than welcome to come down for the day and park your boat at my dock, or even leave it at the dock. I use a lift and there is room for 2 boats to be docked. Im down for cooking up some burgers or something. You can always find a flat spot on the river here.
I also started this site www.maumeewake.com to help people get together on the river. The site isnt finished yet, still working on frontpage and logo.

Feel free to hit me up on the maumeewake forums ;)
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-01-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
Joe, where in ohio are you? i learned how to surf on the flowrider and adapted to the wakesurf very easily, have your brother-in-law give me a call 440/320-7581 does he wakeboard or want to learn?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-13-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Joe B, sent you an e-mail
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-13-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
Nate,
I have a black an orange supra and am usually out there every weekend by the island. For the 4th I was at dale hollow and lake cumberland though. I'll probably be headed out there this week depending if my boat is being done serviced.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       07-14-2009, 5:44 AM Reply   
Andrew,

How was Dale Hollow? Did you rent one of the Big Foot houseboats? Awesome lake. We are going down there over Labor Day, but we are going to try Lake Norris (hoping Chuck will be there)

I think I may have borrowed a comp vest from you guys once. We were out and forgot to bring any, my brother was rocking out an orangy.

Maybe we will see you this weekend. My wife and I had a baby this past spring, so I have been getting on the water around 730am and off around 11.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-14-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Nate,
We just camp at the state park usually at dale hollow (heck of a lot cheaper than a houseboat but def not as fun). Lake cumberland is way better of a lake still I think even though the water was 30 ft lower than what it normally is. If my boat gets serviced ill probably be out there around 11 or 10. I haven't seen ya all year cuz I remember you use to come out at nights. Well later dude.