Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-10-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
Any experts out there willing to discuss the pros and cons of variable edge. I know LF has used this for years on many of their boards. I recently purchased an LF Shane 08 and expected the variable edge to be more profound like the one on the old LF Team. In my opinion, I see this feature as a significant one, it makes butters much easier, makes the board more forgiving and gives it a very fun, surfy, natural feel.

Looking at some new boards like the Obrian Natural, the variable edge is huge! It makes me jealous. But, are there downsides to it (e.g. slower, less pop, less edge hold, etc.). Alot of boards dont use it at all, and for me its a huge barrier to purchasing, is this legit?

Also, any info on what boards have profound variable edge designs? Like what are some LF boards that have the biggest variable?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
Dont you mean the O'Brien Decade, not the Natural?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
I believe the principal reason for a variable edge is to affect the angle at which the board rides through the water. What I mean by that is is the thicker rail prevents that section of the board from dropping into the water as much as the thin rails. The purpose of this is to give the board a nose high approach when coming at the wake without having a ridiculously huge rocker that would affect the boards speed. Real short and wide boards like LFs Fish used it as it is the only way to get the correct ride angle when you can only cram so much rocker into a little board. My opinion is that it is more for that than being able to butter.
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-10-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Yep, Natural.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-10-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
The variable edge does not slow down the natural, that board is quick.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
Johan,

If you think the Natural has a large beveled edge, check out the Decade:

And it doesn't slow it down at all, I think it's faster then the Natural!
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-10-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
Jakober, by variable edge, I think he's referring to the thickness of the edge on the Natural.

The Natural has some girth to it in the mid-section, but towards the tip and tail the edge cups a little bit and is very low profile, which allows the edge to sit deeper in the water.

Right, Johan?
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-10-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Yes, sorry I did mean the Decade in both my posts. What mean by variable edge is exactly what Jakober postd pics of. To me, the Decade is so much more appealing because of this. No nasty catches, more forgiving, easy spins off the wake, etc.

But any comments on the thickness of the edge is welcome too.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-10-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Nevermind then. :-)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-10-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
What LF does is make the edge sharper nearer the tip and tail of board, and more rounded or forgiving in between your feet.

This makes a huge difference and is a great feature. The reason the Shane doesn't have as much is because it is his personal pro model and he has always used a board that is faster and more aggressive than some people like. They have been trying to tone it down and make it more user friendly but that is kinda how it is.

I ride the watson which is probably the most forgiving of their boards and the best selling. The Soven is moderate, the Lyman is moderate. I haven't ridden the 09's.
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-10-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
Interesting Mikey. I havnt seen the LF boards described like that. I would have thought the Watson is not very forgiving....aggressive rocker, no big variable edge, pretty loose and skwirmy....
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
the variable edge affects the ride a lot. a rounder center edge rolls onto edge slower, makes the board sit lower in the water when flat based, ride slower, and more durable because the seam of the board is above the water line so it is less prone to delamination whem smashed into something.

Each LF board uses a different edge. The PS3 has the most pronounced variable edge which makes it really forgiving on edge catches, more stable when flat, and smooth transition onto edge. the Axis is on the opposite end with a much sharper variable edge. It transitions onto edge very fast and rides fast when flat.

Im pumped more companies are doing this. i love how reshapeble rails are becoming more popular. when i got my first integrity skate i was able to round the center to get it to sit deeper like a wood skate for more stabilty and more forgivness, but i was able to sharpen the tip and tail so it griped strong for wake to wake.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Mitch, a rounded rail makes that part of the board sit higher in the water, not lower.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-10-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
It's not necessarily the bevel that makes the board sit higher or lower in the water, but rather rail volume. you can have a soft bevel on a low volume rail, and it will still sit deep (eg ibex). just like you can have a hard bevel and avery thick rail and it will sit higher in the water. It's just like surf boards. Heavier guys ride thicker board so they feel floatier.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-10-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
I agree the thickness of the rail makes it ride higher and yes if you were to file down a sharp rail it would get thicker and ride higher.

On the watson it is the big rocker that makes it slower. Soven has less rocker but still a lot. Axis has much less rocker it is pretty flat and fast but I personally didn't care for it. I used to ride the original Trip.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
stephan, i was talking about the the shape of the bevel not the thickness.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-11-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
So Luke are you telling me if I ride a surf board I can feel floatier? Or should I just buy a Slingshot and have you guys at perf tune the edges for a huskier rider.
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-11-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
To me, the SHANE seems like a pumped up version of the TEAM. Am I right here?

When will LF give in and redo their entire line in flex?
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-11-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
we actually ended our slingshot tuning program to make room for all the snow bike pegs we were installing