Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-03-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
I have gotten my share of headaches from wakeboarding and am looking into buying a helmet. I am still on the fence and do not know whether or not to get one. What does everyone else have to say?
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-03-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
Also which one do you recommend?
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-03-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
unless your riding kickers and rails, don't get a helmet. they're annoying
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-03-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
uh oh Here we go
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2008, 11:56 PM Reply   
popcorn in the microwave......

Never rode with a helmet til my brother blew out his eardrum. Now I never ride without it. I have actually noticed on some of the pretty nasty crashes I seem to always take that they are not as bad as they used to be. Wearing the liquid tunes makes it even better..

Pro Tech with ear flaps.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
my duck tape helmet is best!

Upload
Upload
... or at least i have a friend/ co-worker that thinks it rocks. otherwise he would not have taken so long to return it to me when he borrowed it about a month ago.

but seriously, I am thinking more and more about buying one.
Id go Protec, shredready, or vozsports. I'm really starting to like the vozsports, maybe 'cause it is due to their rockin' web site, but wish i could see shredready protec and voz side by side in person. personally i think i will one day get Voz or shredready, just because they seem to be most interested and caring about our concerns with the water impact debates. Protec has not answered any concerns about this that i know of(even when i e-mailed and called them directly), but both shred ready and voz have showed appreciation for our concerns.

check all their web sites and choose one
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-04-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
Thanks
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
"don't get a helmet. they're annoying"

Uhhhh...coming from a 13 year old...(no offense I'm only 18)

A couple of weeks ago a girl riding with us fell and somehow the board hit her in the head. Long story short, she was unconcious for about 30 min and had to get Careflighted to a trauma center. (She's ok now though).

I got a Pro-Tec Ace Wake after that and I've been happy with it so far. I really like the earflaps on it also. I would definetely check out the brands listed by Jeremy too.

EDIT: Not trying to scare you into buying a helmet or anything, but after that incident I don't see a legit reason for not wearing a helmet if you have one available.

(Message edited by marshk344 on July 04, 2008)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-04-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
I've hit myself in the head with the corner of my board before. Luckily I have a super thick skull and very little brain, so it just cut my scalp open... Anyways, I had one digger while wearing my slider helmet back from the slider, namely, surface sliding on old super sticky boards is not a good idea... Anyways, it didn't feel like it hurt as much because of the padding, but the difference seemed to be minimal. Frankly, I'd rather ride helmetless when riding behind a boat or jetski, since the somewhat softer faceplants don't really make up for the annoyingness of having an uber big nogin when riding.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-04-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
Six seasons without a helmet = plenty of bells rung. Three seasons with a helmet = no bells rung. Anyone pulled behind my boat has to wear one. Leaving butter for the ER = ANNOYING
Cutting the weekend short for the ER = ANNOYING
Pro Tec Ace Wake
Old     (adamo)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
http://www.bernunlimited.com/2007/baker.html
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-04-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
Does the Bern Baker have ear guards?
Old     (cresko)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
Ive lost the board and had it come up and nail me on the forehead, I still have the scar. It left a huge gash and a terrible headache for a week. Never been without a helmet since.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2008, 1:29 AM Reply   
all i can say is this post again...........
lol a helmet is what you want it to be it has its pros and cons
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-06-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
A helmet has no impact value on the water, it can actually be worse because of the increased surface area. Concussions are from your brain hitting the inside of your skull, so if your head stops faster because the helmet catches more water than your head alone would, you could actually have a higher chance of getting a concussion with a helmet on. For sliders though-never without a helmet, even on private lakes and such. I've knocked my dome a few times and was very appreciative of the helmet i had on. I'd ride without a vest on rails before without a helmet, namely because i think my helmet floats better than my vest anyway
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
You gotta be kidding....

I'm no engineer or hard case about helmets, but I'm thinkin' a helmet is ALWAYS gonna be better because it takes the direct hit, no matter how hard or soft. I would consider falling out of a plane without a chute to be an exception to the rule.

If you don't wanna wear one, no sweat..... when you crack yer head, you can take turns holding the flag with the guy who's hands hurt from not wearing uncool gloves.

The rest of us will be done riding pretty soon....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Whiskeymilitia has had helmets on there yesterday and today. Think yesterdays was a Baker Wake Helmet for <$20, today is was a ProTec Ace for around $35?

I do not wear a helmet, though I am not exactly doing much that I would need one... I have fallen out of the boat on occasion.....though never hit my head.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
Thanks Clubjoe....well said. I have seen so many of these posts where they say it causes more injury because of increased surface area....so ignorant I can't stand it. And I will be happy to take another set for the guy who has too bad of a headache to ride again.....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
I think the increased surface area thing sounds like a good argument, but that is ALL it is at this moment, just an argument. (i personally, partially believe it, thus the dorky duck tape helmet invention) No body has proven it that I know of (pro-tec doesn't seem to care about it, from my runarounds). with this said, I think the arguments FOR wearing helmets are just as good... maybe more so. The more i hear of these head injuries (such as the board hitting one in the head) the more i think wearing a helmet is good, EVEN in wake riding alone.

If i ever get into wakeskating (one day i probably will, but not now) I will DEFINITELY buy a helmet. Chances of getting hit in the head by a wake skate are MUCH higher than wakeboard, at least from what i have seen, heard, and imagine

wish i would have seen those whiskey helmets, i might have seriously got one of those, despite some of my reservations
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-07-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
My two cents, two years ago I tried a massive HS 360 and got a concussion no helmet. 3 days ago I tried a HS backroll and got a concussion with a protec helmet which I had been wearing since I got the first concussion. I have seen the VOZ helmets in person and think they will work better than the protec ones, now I am finally going to buy the VOZ and hope it does help. I am not knocking pro tec it kept me concussion free for 2 years, now its time to try something else. Does the helmet help, maybe but it makes me feel more comfotable to go try something new and exciting.
Old     (linz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-07-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
Don't be fooled by a false sense of confidence from a helmet. It might help save an eardrum or if the board hits you in the head but it can also increase the chance of neck injuries from whip-lash.
I was wearing one for a while and have noticed much less soreness since i stopped wearing it. I would recommend wearing one if you are sliding or hitting kickers and there is a chance to hit your head on something hard.
Use your own noggin on this one...
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-07-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
I have read the argument about the increase surface area of a helmet hitting the water somewhere before. And, as I remember it was a convincing statement.

But, I question if it is accurate. The FORCE between your head and the water is the same, with or without a helmet. In other words, the helmet doesn't change how hard you hit the water.

But with a helmet, the pressure on your head is less because the helmet is taking up a bigger area. (Pressure = force/area or since the force IS the same Force = Pressure*Area). As the area increases the pressure has to decrease.

Plus the hit is distributed around your head with a helmet which further reduces the impact on your skull.

We are new to wake boarding but I just bought both of my kids a helmet. One of them hit HARD the other day and hurt his ear. That was enough to convince me that having a helmet is a good idea.

If you have a $5.00 head use a $5.00 helmet......
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2008, 11:26 PM Reply   
" Luckily I have a super thick skull and very little brain"

hilarious!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-08-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
I have a helmet...but do not like the ear flaps. Someone posted on here about protecting your ear drums from rupturing. If you want to protect your ears......get Doc's pro plugs at your local dive shop. I absolutely love mine.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-10-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
......in my opinion there is and should be no argument!......helmets help.....to prove it ...try one!........we did and wont go back!
Old     (jtd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Buddy of mine lent his helmet to someone (first time riding with a helmet). He fell and the board hit him in the head and cracked the helmet and he had to get 7 stitches. Imagine if there was no helmet. Haven't gone without a helmet since.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
I work with Radiologists and Neurologists and asked them their thoughts. They are all in agreement that helmets
help. There's no dispute that concussions are caused by the brain hitting the inside of the skull, but it is their opinion that helmets help to soften the blow and actually help prevent some concussions.
Old     (jtd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Also, your skull itself isn't braking the surface tension of the water. I would think this is a benefit because that is where the real force of the water impact comes from. Ask any diver.