Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-18-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
http://espn.go.com/action/snowboarding/blog/_/post/4752123

I can expect it from White and Clark (not fans of them), but to not support events that put money in your pocket year after year, I think is just sad. I get it, but expected more from a few of the riders and teams.
Old     (flwa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-18-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
with all due respect maybe its not all about the money. I agree it is sad for sure, we all want to see these guys do their dog an pony show for our enjoyment but we should be cool with letting them choose what and when they ride. However uncool the olympics may have been for snowboarding at one point, these guys and gals feel it is worth missing a dew tour for it now.

Like I said cant say I disagree but think its pretty cool these guys are established enough in their careers they can pick and choose where and when they ride and sponsors are backing them.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-18-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
I understand it completely: Time. Money. Risk.

The Dew Tour is rad but it will be there next year, the Olympics wont. Get hurt in a below-standard pipe and your out of your shot for the Olympics for 4 years, some of these up and commers may not get the chance again. Just qualifying for the Olympics carries massive clout for professional career achievement.

Just my thoughts
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-18-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Totally understand and agree with ya for the most part. I just kind of contrast it with wakeboarding, where it seems competitions are at risk of diminishing, and athletes are desiring more support, where snowboarding was in the same situation years ago. Now they won't ride the local/domestic comp because it's 4 ft shorter..... Imagine if the IWWF comps became more important than the WWA comps in wakeboarding... Especially with it being in most of the riders' backyard..
Old     (flwa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-19-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
Maybe Breck of all places should be cutting a bigger pipe...

Its not like its a bunch of folk that dont know whats going on cutting. Dew tour is not really a slouch contest... Why would they not cut a bigger pipe.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-20-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
If their arguement is legit (that the smaller pipe will throw them off when they ride the pipe in BC at the Olimpics) I can't blame em for skipping Breck.

Winning a gold medal means million of $$$$ in endorsements over ones lifetime.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-21-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
Yea, I'll put my foot in my mouth. Totally makes sense, gives other riders a chance to step up a level, and Breck seemed to drop the ball on quality of terrain.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-21-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
i'm guessing it has to do with their lack of snow, right now breck is only like 30% open.

otherwise, it does seem pretty dumb that they wouldn't cut a 22 ft pipe
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-11-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
its becausse they don't have a 22 ft zaug to cut it retards. their are only a handful of 22 ft pipe cutters in the world. Copper had to borrow one from Aspen/x-games which is also spt (snow park technologies). Thats why copper opened w/ a 22ft for grand prix but now only has an 18 bc they had to give the 22 ft zaug back to Aspen. no way to maintain. Breck is Vail owned which is not spt.