Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
So I picked up my boat this weekend and it obviously needs a good wetsand and polish. My question is has anyone ever wetsanded there boat while it was in the lake?!?! seems like it would make things pretty easy on the back and I could just use the lake water. Ive hear a few people using a water/soap solution in which case I would just bring a bucket down to the water but what are your guys thoughts?!?! Thanks! :-)
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-27-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
I just wetsanded everything above the rubrail this weekend. I would be fearfull that wading around in shallow water would kick up dirt and when you dipped your sand paper or washed your boat that you would get scratch marks from the contamination.

I did 1000, 1500, 2000 grit paper and then hit it with some 3m Perfect it 3000. I took the boat under some flourescent lights last night and had no swirl marks or sanding marks left. Looked awesome

Going to hit it with a polish/sealant this evening.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
AWESOME!!! good call! Ill pry do the same! :-)
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Murphy, what did you apply the 3M polish with?!?! if a variable speed buffer what sort of pad did you use?!?!
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-27-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
Here is exactly what I used. I think the key was making sure that my last sand with the 2000 grit was done throughly and the my working surface was always kept clean.

3m perfect 3000 rubbing compound (part # 06062)

Wool pad (twisted wool pad)

High speed polisher b/t 1000rpm and 1400rpm.

I did 2 passes just to be safe with compound. The compound is a diminishing grit compound. So as you start it is more gritty and as you work it in...it eventually tunrs to dust. Wipe off resideu with micorfiber towell.

My boat is white so it hide's imperfections well. If you have a colored hull you may have to use some polish like the 3m Finesse it (#35928) with the reccomeded 3m foam pad.

Then wax it.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-27-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
Seriously? Nothing like dumping paint/soap in your lake. Good luck with that........
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Seriously? Its gelcoat not paint. lol but depending on where you live its gonna be tough to get away with it.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-28-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
while your at it. drain your oil also.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-29-2009, 12:54 AM Reply   
^^ haha X2.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-29-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Why not go ahead and throw the battery overboard too. We can't get enough pollutants in the lakes these days without the help of a good few. Paint/ gel coat does'nt belong in the lake