Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-13-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
What does Aperture do? It looks to me like it is a beefed up version of the iPhoto software. (or iPhoto is a dumbed down version of Aperture.) Specifically, is the sharpening tool in aperture significantly better than iPhoto? What PS functions does Aperture not do? If you have PS, why buy Aperture?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-14-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
I use Aperture for 90% of my photo work, to do all my image sorting and RAW conversions. The default RAW conversions (what you get with the built in profiles and no adjustments) are the best I've found.

I admit that I don't use all of the advanced functions like the light tables (and since I've never used iPhoto I'm not sure what you're getting from Aperture over that program.)

As far a photoshop goes there are so many more functions in PS that it's hard to compare the two, they really are very different programs (but since I've never been happy with the default or auto settings in Camera RAW and I don't want to have to adjust every RAW image I'm converting I've been using Aperture a lot.

But if you really get into digital photography and image manipulation you'll end up with photoshop, it's really an indispensable tool.

The equivalent of Aperture from Adobe is the soon to be released "Lightroom" BTW.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-14-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
Thanks Rich, I'm just starting to shoot RAW. I think I'll download the free trial and try it out. Is there a manual that you recommend? Also, when you shoot RAW do you shoot the jpeg along with it? It sure uses memory fast!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-14-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Just the RAW as I have no use for a jpeg until I need it for something. A jpeg is just a mouse click away so why have the extra files laying around. As with most Apple apps you usually don't need much of a manual, I just start using the program but there is a tutorial on the Apple site as well.

Check this out for Aperture features:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/quicktours/