Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (needwake)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-23-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Weirdest thing yesterday; was out yesterday and my wife wanted to go for a run. She gets out about 6-10 times a year or so for the past 2 summers so not too often. Anyway she is sitting in the water and I start to pull her up. She is losing her balance on the way up and tries to correct herself. Well she hears a pop or crack and lets go and her knee is very sore. She gets back in the boat and says maybe she will try later but it kept getting more stiff so she iced it all night. Now today she can hardly walk on it because it is so sore.
She is going to call the doctor because I said it sounds like a meniscus tear. Anyone heard of that, just trying to get up?
Old     (utwake1)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
if she heard a pop then it could be her ACL. i've had two knee surgeries on my left knee, one ACL & the other was MCL & Meniscus. I only heard a pop when my ACL tore. but i was still able to walk until the next day, then i was done for. Hopefully its not, but I'm just letting you know what happened to me
Old     (ispair)      Join Date: May 2006       07-23-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
A pop for me ended up being a torn ACL, and torn lateral meniscus. I hope thats not the case for her, but it is a strong possibility. Have her go get an MRI to confirm it. Good luck.
Old     (utwake1)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
yeah man, best wishes. some of us have been down that road before
Old     (erock_15)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
Ya man I tore my meniscus last year. It's not really serious, but it still sucks. Took me outta action for about 2 months. I still have some problems with it, but it's bearable. Didn't require surgery or anything.
Old     (needwake)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-24-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
Well she talked to her doctor and she told her to get an xray and ultrasound done first so we will see what happens with that. She has to go sit in emerg for a few hours now.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-24-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
the doctor told me he thought i had a tear in my meniscus, but it turns out that my kneecap is getting off track when i bend my knee, and when i screwed up my knee it popped, and still does pop
Old     (loudah)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Ryan my knee cap also would not track correctly dont put off rehab I postponed rehab and surgery to finish my masters research now I regret it. Initially I did have a tear in my meniscus I let it go too long and while compensatting for the discomfort my stride changed causing my knee cap to track incorrectly.
Long story short in Dec. 06 I had to have my meniscus repaired, some holes drilled in my knee cap for chondromalasia and my knee cap "shifted" a few mm's. The meniscus surgey is a simple scope procedure the kneecap is shear brute force between the doctor and a vice. Seriously take care of your knees I now recommend any type of glucosomine supplement never too early!!!

Good Luck
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-24-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
i havnt had surgery, and he said i dont need it, but he put me in therapy three times a week, how long should i wait before i can start riding again?
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-24-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
I tore my meniscus last year and went almost a year before I saw a doctor in Feb. I then had to have surgery. But I was back up on a board in about 4 weeks. I am glad i got it fixed before the season really started here. The surgery only took 20 minutes and I was in and out of the hospital in like 4 hours.

I hope its the Meniscis and not the ACL.
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
My Pop was a Torn MCL, ACL and Meniscus! best of luck for your wife. I would suggest getting a MRI if doctors/physical therapists are giving you different opinions on the 'knee-range' tests. Then decide what to do.

If it is a partial tear she can just do rehab and see how it goes. If its a major tear she may want to rethink how agressive she takes her sports.
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
BTW my friend torn his meniscus standing up on a tail gate of a truck. So to answer your questions, yes, somethings less than challenging things can tear something up in your knee
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-25-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Man I Tore My meniscus skateboarding doing a nollie frontside heel on just flat ground and I tore it so bad that it swung into my knee joint and locked my knee up, worst pain ever I couldn't bend my leg then after waiting to go into surgery I was filming a buddy of mine and the way that I was panning while filming I ripped it again and I could bend it but not extend it all the way, so now after surgery I have half a meniscus,and it does cause issues at times so good luck.