Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-25-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
while riding yesterday. In the middle of a pull, driver was in the process of turning the stereo up.

I have
1 ppi 4125 to pair of tyrants.
1 Eclips 4channel where I only used 2 channels bridged for my sub
1 clarion stock amp running the internal speakers.

I've had this for a year now and havent had any issues. Is it possible for that setup to pop the 50amp? or should I start looking elsewhere.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-25-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
oh ya, im running 2 deep cycle batteries, 1 for the boat, 1 for the stereo, and the selecter was set to "all"
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-25-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
yes, it can pop it. I would run a 100 amp breaker.

I would double check all your connections to make sure nothing is loose and caused the breaker to pop.

I've popped a 100 amp fuse on a JL 500/1 before.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-27-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
I recommend that you install a second breaker that is dedicated to the amps. If you are drawing 50 amps off the boats original wiring/fuse panel you will have nothing but problems.

Rod
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-27-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
50a fuse is good for about 500w's of power, im guessing that your amps add to more then that. Breakers are nice, because they are always free to reset, and you dont have to have spare fuses around.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-28-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
I do have a 60A fuse on my ampes, but I guess its pretty useless since the boats 50A will pop first.

Adam, you would run a 100A breaker on the engine? What can I add to the stereo that will keep it from drawing that much current from the rest of the boat system?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
Blue Seas (bluesea.com) sells a new battery switch that when in the on position it connects the boat battery just to the boat wiring harness, and you 2nd bat to the accessories, It also has a postions to connect the two batteries. To figure the size of fuse or breaker to run on the amps divide the your watt's by 12 so 1200w use a 100amp fuse. Using too big of a fuse will not blow if thier is a problem and your amps will be damaged. To small and it will blow if your rocking out too hard. Another note, your fuse or breaker should be no more then 6" from your battery. This protects you from burning up your amp cables if you have a short.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
I might have a 50a breaker I can sell if you need one.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-28-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Correct me if I'm wrong but if your running your stereo power directly from your battery, as you should, you are tapping into the power circuit before the breaker. That would mean that another load is popping the breaker. I think you should look elsewhere.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the main breaker that is located on or near the motor?

Just a thought.