Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    260searay            08-27-2005, 5:17 AM Reply   
I have heelside down now. Everytime i try toeside, I either get pulled off edge in the air, or way off axis and land on the side of my head. I understand to stay on edge through the wake and keep the handle at my lead hip, but i just can not seem to put it together. Plus it just feels so odd and almost like i am going to fall on my face going up the wake. Any suggestions? I have to get toeside and either a grab or a spin in by the time snow flies.
Old    luv2wake2            08-27-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
Make sure your looking at the shore and not the boat. One thing that helps me is as I'm going up the wake , I give a extra little pull on the rope, seems like its takes as little of the tension off and makes landing easier. I know the handle is at the lead hip, but really toe side , the handle should be against your back but not really, if that makes sense. If you can get on a trampoline its really a big help, and have a rope and handle tied to something. Good Luck , you'll get it!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-27-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
Chris, are you clearing the wake? Or is all of this happening while you case the second wake.

John has good advice.

Things that helped me:

Riding with a shorter rope for one set. Shorten the distance, get down your form, then lengthen the rope again.

Keep both handles on the handle until you are at least half way across and make sure your aren't letting the rope out when you are jumping. Letting the handle way out with your front hand is a common problem. This is how you get pulled OA. If you get pulled OA with both hands, think about taking it to 180.

Make sure your cut you are taking TS isn't any longer than your HS.
Old    260searay            08-27-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
Yeah for some reason everything just feels weird coming in toeside almost like riding switch or something. Heelside of course just feels natural. I feel like i am going up the wake good, but as soon as i get in the air the boat pulls me off axis, therefore i either land on my side or my face or just let go. Thanks for the pointers.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-27-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
Chris, make sure you keep that handle glued to your front hip when you're taking your cut and heading up the wake. As J-Rod said, don't let go with your rear hand until you're halfway across.

One thing that helped me learn toeside: Take a progressive edge in, and when you're about 5 feet from the wake, take it even harder. Haul butt on those last 5 feet, and you'll be flying wake to wake in no time. It might even help to look at the shore.

(Message edited by greenpinky on August 27, 2005)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-28-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
Another trick that has helped many people...Cut away from the wake toe side until you can not cut anymore and hold the maximum cut for at least 5 seconds. In that time you will start adjusting your form. That form/muscle memory retention is your take off and landing body position.
Old    260searay            08-29-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
I landed one yesterday perfect. After that though I couldnt repeat. The last time it was looking good then i came off axis, the board turned sideways and thats how i landed. BIG faceplant..........That was my all time hardest crash.
Old     (lop)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
I don't know if it will help you but I had the same problem, feeling like I was riding switch. I learned ts w2w by doing a ts 180 eventually just drop the 180 out of the pic
Old    lunaraven            08-29-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Ive been working on it all summer and yesterday with the rain comin down it just came together. The 180 trick didnt work for me. I found if I hold the handle with just my outside hand and relax while edging the pop came every time.