Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-12-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
I need to replace my much-loved '04 TFD. I really like the way it rides and am hoping to get something a lot like it. Here are my requirements:

1) I want to support my local board shop so I need to stay with either Hyperlite or Ronix.

2) I am an intermediate rider and don't want a "beginner" board. I ride several days a week and have my 180s, grabs, etc.

3) I'd rather not buy a women's board.

4) I'm not crazy about asymmetrical boards - I've worked to get a good toeside edge and I don't want the board shape to 'help.'

5) Looking to stay in the 135-137 range. My 142 was WAY to big for me.

6) I'm a wake rider only - no rails.

I'm ready to try a few new boards that are similar to the way my TFD rides. If all else fails I already know my shop has an '08 Pulse that would work or an older 3DS. When I retired my '01 Project I asked the same question and you all steered me right on the TFD. I'm also going to finally replace my '03 Parks bindings, too. I guess I'm worth a new setup every 5 years!

What board would you suggest I demo?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
Chad's new ronix seems like a great starting point.

I guess the new one is CSV2.

(Message edited by denverd1 on June 12, 2009)
Old     (timsown)      Join Date: May 2005       06-12-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
09 Marek is where you should start. After that, try the 07/08 Ronix Covin or the 09 Ronix Viva.

The Marek is the next progession in the TFD/3DS/Pulse line.

Put a pair of 09 Ronix one's on your TFD and you may be happy with that. Just by upgrading your bindings you going to shave 2lbs off your setup and that TFD's going to feel like a brand new board. At least it did for me.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-12-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
Thanks Nacho and Tim for the ideas. I want to replace my board because over the years of going in and out of board racks the edges are pretty thrashed. I'm hoping to demo two or three different boards to see what I like best. I plan on putting my Parks on the demo so that I'm only changing one thing at a time...then I'll get to demo bindings after I make a board choice.

Any one else want to throw an idea out there?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
marek and viva are the next progression off that shape so definitely demo those.
and you are totally right about it being better to demo the boards first and then the bindings after to get the true feel of the boards.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
Ill seccond the marek. You can ride the 141 and it will be lighter than your 136 3ds and pop better
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-13-2009, 4:29 AM Reply   
You could also try a clash which is the 3ds/pulse shape. That board is Chads next step from the TFD...the 138 is the old 135 and the 142 is the old 139...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-13-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
Chris rode the TFD for 4 years before switching to the Tribute. He absolutely loves it. He got to ride Schwenne's prototype in 07 and told me after one session it was the perfect board for him. It's available in 137 so I'd put it on your short list to demo.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-13-2009, 5:34 AM Reply   
The Ronix Viva is a pretty safe bet you'll love it. Comes in a 136. Give it a try.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
Decisions decisions! I'm worried that the Marek 141 is going to be too hefty for me to swing around but I may give it a go just to see how the shape rides. I'm not sure that my local shop even stocks the Clash since it is made mostly for cable - I'll have to see. I just looked at the specs for the Tribute and that sounds interesting too...and the Viva is a definite board to try. Now I'm wondering how many my shop will let me take at once!

I have to make my final decision very carefully since I set the trends for my crew. Five years ago I got the TFD and now four people on our boat have some version of it! Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I'll let you know what direction I go.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-13-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
The Viva is one of the sickest boards i've ever ridden... Hands down. I would try a 136 Viva or even the 140 CSV2.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Just went to the proshop and looked at a few to demo next week. The Viva looks sweet with the bevel edge and I learned the Marek comes in a 136 so I'm going to try that too. Thanks for all of the great input.