Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-24-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
Sometimes the prop wash from our boat seems to make a hole in the water when pulling riders up, you can usually ride/slide straight over it but every now and then it will almost suck you down and once your front foot goes in it's pretty much over.

Anyone else get this? I usually ride around it now...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-24-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
sounds like your riding too short of a rope. ride further out and you wont even come close to riding in that area. if you cant ride a longer line make sure you edge out when getting up
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-24-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
My rope is something like 60', don't remember exactly... But it's only right at the start of the pull, after that it's sweet as. It's hard to explain I guess, but it's that initial wash that comes from taking off. Sort of like an eddie.
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-24-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
Should be riding 70+ that is like a wakeskate rope
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-24-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
Sorry Here is my advice. I would try riding 70 to 75 at about 22mph. Try it let me know what you think.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2008, 10:30 PM Reply   
Except Jos is riding behind a I/O. Those wakes get wide quick so longer rope lengths aren't possible sometimes. I fell the same way behind the binliner occasionally, the cavitation makes the wake soft in the middle and you can go over the front. Just avoid it until the boat is up to speed. When you come out with us we will get you on a long rope, its like a different sport once you get out to 80ft.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-25-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
yeah, 60' is super short
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-25-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
^^^Not for a I/O^^^
There was a time before towers, fat sacks and long line riding.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
Yea, 60' is not that short. I pull people at 50' all the time. All boats are different, you can try longer or shorter.

When behind an I/O, I would actually recommend 50'-55' for beginners to intermediate. You are adding 6-8ft by tying it to the back.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-25-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
would it help to keep your board sideways until you ride over that spot, then turn your board straight.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-25-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
I know that spot. You have the solution in your own post, jos. Keep your weight on your back foot and keep your front foot out of the water until you get over it. My old Ebbtide used to be bad about that.

Even with a tower, you need a shorter rope on an I/O. I don't know for sure why but I imagine it has to do with propeller placement vs. an inboard. Whatever the reason, your rooster tail is closer to the boat on an I/O and the sweet spot of the wake is as well.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
60' is fine for I/O or direct drive. The prop wash is a minor thing and once you get used to it is is far more important to ride a speed and line length you are comfortable with.

Another solution to deal with the prop wash is to keep your board on a board slide (sideways) a little longer before you turn it in the riding position.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
wait, not everyone rides behind an 08 XStar???
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-25-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice it's not a big problem though, still it happens sometimes... Most of the time I'm cutting out by the point I would be hitting it. I just had nothing better to do on a Wednesday afternoon and I've never started a thread on here before (til now, stoked) It's always classic to see someone disappear down into the sea hole though. A lot of my friends had never ridden before a few summers ago, it came up in conversation a lot when we were all starting to get into it.
Old     (matt5)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
Been there several times myself. Mostly when I was learning to get up properly. Seems like it would just suck you in and there was no hope...
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-26-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
If you're falling in the hole, it's time for a new woman.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-26-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
^^Good one^^

Sounds like you're making starting out more difficult than it needs to be. If your front foot falls into this "hole", you're straightening the board out way too soon. Start out by sinking the board beneath you. As the pull comes, angle the board up, but keep it sideways. By the time the board surfaces, you'll be past the eddy. This is a very easy way to get up (much easier than starting out with the board bobbing on the surface of the water.)

Also, beginners should ride long line so that they jump only to the middle of the wake. This will build confidence faster, especially when learning toeside jumps.

Just my 2 cents.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-26-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
Haha, Randy, it was only a matter of time before someone went there I'm surprised it took that long.