Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       11-30-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,
Long time reader here, but this is my first post. I just wanted to post my response regarding the Ecoboost threads here on Wakeworld.

I wanted an Ecoboost and wanted one bad! I looked at new trucks and the best price I could get on a new one, a stripped down model, was about $34,800 for a crew cab. I just didn't want to spend that much so I started looking at Certified Used trucks from Ford. I found an awesome 2011 Crew Cab Platinum with almost every option for $29,800 with a little over 31K. It ended up selling before I could make my move. It was during this time that I started finding all the Ecoboost problem threads all over the internet and then found out that over a dozen Ecoboost F-150's have been "lemoned" here in AZ in the last yea alone. I found that info here on the Ecoboost threads and was able to confirm it through an honest dealer.

Anyhow, I then decided to test drive other trucks and ended up driving a 2012 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab. I ended up buying this truck. I made a great end of year deal on this truck. The original sticker was $36,900 and I was able to buy the truck with an out the door price of $24,800!

This truck drives freaking awesome, way better than my old Tahoe and I actually think it rides better than the Ecoboosts I was looking it. It has coil springs in the back versus the traditional leaf springs and rides awesome! Smooth as silk. I know the coil springs limit towing capacity, but I only tow on the weekends and my boat is only 21'. The Ram is making 390 hp and 407 pound-feet of torque versus the Ecoboost's 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. I understand torque curves and understand that the Ecoboost has a better curve. I also understand the Ecoboost gets better mileage. I just finished my first tank in the Ram and am only getting about 15.5 MPG (mixed). From what I understand the Ecoboost should get between 18 and 22 MPG. I just wonder what the expense is going to be at 100K miles with the traditional V8 engine of the Ram versus the TTC V6 of the Ecoboost. How much will turbos cost? Anyhow, the truck tows awesome and rides great! $10,000 (difference in price between the Ecoboost and the Ram) buys a lot of gas!
Attached Images

Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-30-2012, 5:11 PM Reply   
Congrats on the truck! My bother has the exact same one but white. For towing you can always add some airbags($120) and you can install them yourself in about and hour. Was $24,800 after taxes or before?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-02-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1012 View Post
Congrats on the truck! My bother has the exact same one but white. For towing you can always add some airbags($120) and you can install them yourself in about and hour. Was $24,800 after taxes or before?
Where do you get air bags for 120$?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-30-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
Nice looking truck. Seems like a good deal!
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       11-30-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
Thanks!

Yes, that's after everything, including taxes!
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
I must of lucked out here in AZ, I bought my 2011 EBSCREW in may of last year and have had ZERO problems...just turned 17000 miles, i tow an 06 xstar and its tows it awesome. That is a smokin deal and a nice lookin truck though Brearly.
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       11-30-2012, 7:21 PM Reply   
Steve - I think we have met before, did you live in QC? If so, I lived in Wagonwheel Estates.

I doubt very many ecoboosts have problems, but some clearly do. Anyhow, I am happy. I'm trying to figure out what tonneau cover to buy now. I'm leaning towards the Bakflip fibermax.
Old     (Rockinrhino)      Join Date: Nov 2012       11-30-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
I"ll take my 2012 Big Horn over a Ford any day.

Last edited by Rockinrhino; 11-30-2012 at 7:49 PM.
Old     (Rockinrhino)      Join Date: Nov 2012       11-30-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-01-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
Nice truck. The new generation Ram bodystyle has grown on me (I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 mega cab diesel). I don't know what the big deal about the Ecoboost Fords is but for the same price I can find diesel trucks new (I know, some people don't like diesels). The Ecoboost is an over priced half-ton. The only Ford trucks I like are the F250 and F350. The Ford F150 line just looks like a toy and weak IMO. By the way, that sounds like a great price you got on your new Ram. What engine did it come with?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-01-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
Nice looking truck and great price.

I was just looking at Ram's website and noticed they have a 300hp 6 cyl you can get in the SLT crew cab 4x4. It is mated to the 8 speed transmission. It is suppose to get 23 mpg highway and 17 or so in the city. It doesn't sound like it is a great tow vehicle but for someone looking for a truck to commute in and be the occasional tow vehicle(up to 6000 #'s) it seems like a great option.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-01-2012, 1:12 PM Reply   
Brearly, ya i still live in san tan valley off ironwood in pecan creek, i had a black and white 05 x2 for the past 5 yrs and just picked up an 06 xstar in july, hit me up if you ever want to ride.....we hit up saguaro this morning .
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-02-2012, 5:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevev210 View Post
Brearly, ya i still live in san tan valley off ironwood in pecan creek, i had a black and white 05 x2 for the past 5 yrs and just picked up an 06 xstar in july, hit me up if you ever want to ride.....we hit up saguaro this morning .
That was you guys this past morning leaving so darn early? We were prepping at ramp 2 when your crew was just trailering up and cleaning. I had the black Duramax with the older Malibu. My friends behind us had there 2012 Byerly boat. How early did you get out there that morning?
Old     (sd_wakesports)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-02-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
Great choice on the RAM.I have owned Ford & Chevy and once I test drove the RAM I was sold.
I picked up this 1500 ST crew cab last year in Dec for $19k before taxes and dumped another 3k in wheels/tires/4" spindle lift up front.I tow a 210 Nautique around with no problem and average 20mpg with the 4.7 flex fuel non Hemi. Great Truck !
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-02-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
DC, ya that was me with the white EB and red & black star, my buddy was pulling me up the ramp, wegot on rhe water around 7:30 and was the only boat until around 10 when that white and blue nautique showed up.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-02-2012, 7:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevev210 View Post
DC, ya that was me with the white EB and red & black star, my buddy was pulling me up the ramp, wegot on rhe water around 7:30 and was the only boat until around 10 when that white and blue nautique showed up.
Yeah that's the "Nauti 88" crew, they're out there usually every Saturday. You out there often? I think I've seen that star a few times.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       12-01-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
Really that math is pretty simple to do.. take 100k miles / 20mpg = 5000 gallons of gas. 100k miles/ 15.5mpg = 6451 Gallons of gas. Now take the difference of 1451 and multiply by the avg price of gas in you area. i would add 25% for how much it will increase over the years. so if you do 4.50 a gallon it comes out to ~6500 bucks... so you come out ahead. break even point would be an avg cost per gallon of gas at 6.89. so you came out ahead ... and even better if you figure in the money you saved being invested rather than wrapped up in the truck you're farther ahead.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-02-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Really that math is pretty simple to do.. take 100k miles / 20mpg = 5000 gallons of gas. 100k miles/ 15.5mpg = 6451 Gallons of gas. Now take the difference of 1451 and multiply by the avg price of gas in you area. i would add 25% for how much it will increase over the years. so if you do 4.50 a gallon it comes out to ~6500 bucks... so you come out ahead. break even point would be an avg cost per gallon of gas at 6.89. so you came out ahead ... and even better if you figure in the money you saved being invested rather than wrapped up in the truck you're farther ahead.
Oh boy. You need to take into account the time it took you to drive 100k miles, work that time in for inflation, then compare what you could have made by investing what you saved, work in maintenance, it goes on and on and on
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       12-03-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
Nice! I bought a new Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4 in 2010 for 24,500.. I think the sticker was 36k. I have 40k miles, 0 problems, still like new. In fact, dealers in my area are selling my same truck used exactly what I paid for new!
Old     (Rockinrhino)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-01-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
You might get better MPG in an Ecoboost but if you spent $60,000 to $100,000 on a boat do you really think you are gonna care what MPG you are getting on your truck. Just a Thought.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-01-2012, 6:57 PM Reply   
The Ecoboost aren't getting that 22mpg. Talked to to many people who have them. Our company has a fleet of these trucks w/ecoboost.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-01-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
What are the ecoboosts really getting? 20 highway, 15 in town and mix of 17-18?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-02-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
"$10,000 (difference in price between the Ecoboost and the Ram) buys a lot of gas!"
Not so fast!, I got a hemi in mine and with slow starts and slow stops I can get 20mpg, and the power is there whenever you need it.
also Ford just had a huge recall on the ecoboost
Old     (dooski)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-02-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
"$10,000 (difference in price between the Ecoboost and the Ram) buys a lot of gas!"
Not so fast!, I got a hemi in mine and with slow starts and slow stops I can get 20mpg, and the power is there whenever you need it.
also Ford just had a huge recall on the ecoboost
Sure they did, just not the one they put in the 150's.

The 1.6L in the Escape and Fusion.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-02-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
As for maintenance costs on the 5.7, not much other than the usual fluids/filters. I have an 09' 2500 with the new 5.7 and an auto tranny. I run Castrol full synthetic and K&N oil filters. I change oil every 6k. If I watch the sales I can usually get an oil change for around $50. At 30k I pulled the tranny pan and replaced the stock filter with a K&N. I also pulled both diff covers (solid front axle) and changed fluid in both. By the way, the dealer wanted $125 per axle to change oil and they don't pull the covers to inspect the gears.. The only thing I don't like is the tire pressure monitors. I have 35" Toyo MT's running 40psi. The TPMS is factory set for 80 psi and can't be changed so my truck gives the low pressure warning every time I start it.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-02-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
im not sure alot of you r seeing to point of the EB. Its not only the fuel economy but getting with the same or better capabilities of a much bigger more gas hungry motor. The EB creates the same peak torque as the ford 6.2 but at 2400 rpm as opposed to the much less usable 5500 for the 6.2.
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-02-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
I actually wanted an EB pretty badly; however, I just couldn't justify the cost after I drove the Ram. I think the Ram is capable of doing everything the EB is. I also think as a daily driver the Ram is actually better, the ride in my opinion is exponentially superior. I know the coil springs limit the towing capacity of the RAM, but they also provide an amazing ride. The drive-by-wire steering is initially very strange, bumps, crowns, and surface conditions are not transmitted into the steering wheel like my old trucks. This coupled with the coil springs and stiff frame creates an ultra smooth ride that the Ford and Chevy trucks can't get close to. The other thing I have heard about, but can't confirm is that when towing with the EB, MPG is horrible.

Anyhow, I am very happy with the RAM. I made my original post to let people know there are viable alternatives to the EB. If I one day win the lottery I will just an STS to my Hemi.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-02-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
I would be interested in hearing what the real world mpg ratings are for a the EB with the 6 speed vs the Ram HEmi with the 6 speed. Both in crew cab 4x4 setups and stock suspension/wheels/tires. Although a guess I am thinking somewhere aroud 15 or 16 for the Hemi and 17 or 18 for the EB? If similarly optioned EB's are 5k more than the Ram I could see why someone would choose the Ram. It will interesting to see what type MPG's they get out of the RAM Hemi when they start putting the 8-speed in it. At that point the Ram Hemi might be right on par with the EB in power and fuel economy.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-02-2012, 4:22 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 Ecoboost with 3.55 gears and 31" tires. I normally get about 15mpg in the city and 18 on the highway. I can get up to 23mpg if I keep it under 65on the freeway. Towing a VLX I get around 12mph. The mileage isn't great but the torque and performance is incredible. Puts my prior silverado to shame. Overall it is the best truck I have ever owned by far. I have a little over 20K on it so far with no problems whatsoever.
Old     (bandsecurity)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-02-2012, 4:51 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 EB 4x4 Screw with 34 inch tires. 15 in the city and 19 on the highway. I can get 22 on the highway at 65 mph. When I tow, I get 12 mpg. This truck is light years better than the silverado I had. I never test drove a Dodge so I have nothing to compare it to one way or the other but they seem decent. I have not had any issues with mine other than oil changes. I have 25k miles on my truck.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       12-18-2012, 9:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter19u View Post
I have a 2011 Ecoboost with 3.55 gears and 31" tires. I normally get about 15mpg in the city and 18 on the highway. I can get up to 23mpg if I keep it under 65on the freeway. Towing a VLX I get around 12mph. The mileage isn't great but the torque and performance is incredible. Puts my prior silverado to shame. Overall it is the best truck I have ever owned by far. I have a little over 20K on it so far with no problems whatsoever.
I get the same numbers in my Chevy with 6.2L. I had the 5.3L in my previous chevy and it was ok, but didn't thrill me. the 6.2L is a whole different league. Which engine did you have in your chevy before the EB?
Old     (CalaProVia)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-19-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
Love this forum,,,, long time lurker,,,, Finally I can add something constructive... LOL... Love my Ram... tows boat like nobodys biz...
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-03-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
A brand new 1/2 ton crew cab pickup for $24,800?!?!? Doesn't matter what brand that is, smokin deal! Congrats on the new truck and enjoy!!!
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-03-2012, 7:08 PM Reply   
I've got a '12 ram 1500 "big horn" 4x4 I bought new back in February (for significantly more than you paid). I have a little under 10k miles on it now. I average 14mpg according to the computer (I hand-calculated it for a few tanks and it was right on). I commute about 14 miles each way to work and about half of that is 65mph highway, the rest city. On long trips, not towing, I get 16-17 mpg. Towing on long trips, I get 14-15 I think. I'm not too impressed with the mileage, but I didn't buy the truck for mileage. If I drive like a weenie I can get another 1-2mpg out of it (not implying that I drive crazy, just not like a weenie). Oh, I have the 3.92 gears.

I haven't had any real problems with it. My gas pedal vibrates/taps sometimes, and other people have the same thing, but the dealer (as usual) denies there's an issue. I'm not real happy with the way it drives, the throttle response feels very, very sluggish. It's much better in "tow/haul" mode. I also don't really like the 6 speed transmission, it just shifts way too often and annoys me. The tow/haul mode also helps that. I wish there were programmers for this truck, but apparently the encryption on the ECU is too good or something and nobody's been able to make one.

I do like the towing power. I love my front electric bench seat, totally comfortable (when shopping for trucks, I couldn't get comfortable in the Nissan Titan front seat no matter what, and the Tundra front seat was OK, but they didn't have the option of getting a front bench that was electric). I got fabric interior as well and I'm really happy with it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-04-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
Is this truck a 4X4? Sounds like a smoking deal if so....
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-04-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Is this truck a 4X4? Sounds like a smoking deal if so....
No, it's just a basic 2WD Express model. The only options are
25C
ST Popular Equipment Group
3.92 rear axle ratio
Basic Uconnect package
interior value group
anti-spin differential rear axle
32-gallon fuel tank
Class IV receiver hitch
spray in bedliner
tinted windows
3M clear bra
body protection package

If someone is looking for a truck as a daily driver I would go check out the Ram, I doubt you can get a better daily driver ride in a truck.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       12-05-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
I've got a '12 ram 1500 "big horn" 4x4 I bought new back in February (for significantly more than you paid). I have a little under 10k miles on it now. I average 14mpg according to the computer (I hand-calculated it for a few tanks and it was right on). I commute about 14 miles each way to work and about half of that is 65mph highway, the rest city. On long trips, not towing, I get 16-17 mpg. Towing on long trips, I get 14-15 I think. I'm not too impressed with the mileage, but I didn't buy the truck for mileage. If I drive like a weenie I can get another 1-2mpg out of it (not implying that I drive crazy, just not like a weenie). Oh, I have the 3.92 gears.

I haven't had any real problems with it. My gas pedal vibrates/taps sometimes, and other people have the same thing, but the dealer (as usual) denies there's an issue. I'm not real happy with the way it drives, the throttle response feels very, very sluggish. It's much better in "tow/haul" mode. I also don't really like the 6 speed transmission, it just shifts way too often and annoys me. The tow/haul mode also helps that. I wish there were programmers for this truck, but apparently the encryption on the ECU is too good or something and nobody's been able to make one.

I do like the towing power. I love my front electric bench seat, totally comfortable (when shopping for trucks, I couldn't get comfortable in the Nissan Titan front seat no matter what, and the Tundra front seat was OK, but they didn't have the option of getting a front bench that was electric). I got fabric interior as well and I'm really happy with it.
The 3.92 gears is hurting your MPG thats for sure. I have a 4x4 quad cab, hemi, but with the 5 speed (2010) and average 18, but will cruise 20-21 on the freeway at 65-70mph.
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-06-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
I just saw this and thought I would post it here.

2013 Truck of the Year: Ram 1500

Also, I have the 3.92 rear end and am very happy with it. Yes, it does burn some extra gas when on the freeway; however, I could argue (with SAE calibrated data) that the lower rear end actually helps gas mileage in stop and go traffic and for towing.
Old     (tdelong)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-04-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
Just thought that I would add in that I also love my 2012 Ram 1500 truck. 14 months and no issues at all. Tows the boat with no complaints, great turning radius, and drives very well. The best part for me is the Hemi of course.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-11-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
Hoping that they make the 8 speed available with the HEMI soon.
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-12-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaszkow View Post
Hoping that they make the 8 speed available with the HEMI soon.
My dealer told me not until at least April and probably closer to May.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-12-2012, 1:48 PM Reply   
Sounds about right. Last I checked the production date had moved from 1/7 to 3/4. Tack on 6-8 weeks for shipping. It's tough for me to wait that long, but after looking at the Ecoboost, Tundra, Sierra and Ram, we decided on the Ram, but none of the 12's quite were what I wanted. After learning more about the 8HP70 transmission I figured it would be well worth waiting since the gear range is quite a bit higher than the 6 speed (4.71-.67 versus 3-.67).
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-12-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
What kind of mpg's are they expecting out of the hemi with a the 8-speed? 22 highway and 17 city in a crew cab 4x4?
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-13-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
They haven't announced anything yet as far as MPG's are concerned. My guess is that if you select the same rear end, you probably won't see much of a difference at highway speeds. From my perspective, the 8 speed would allow you to run a higher geared rear end (3.55 or maybe even 3.21) since a 3.21 with the 8 speed in first gear is similar (actually slightly lower than) to the 3.92 rear now. I think that city driving will improve significantly for the reason that Brearly mentioned combined with the better efficiency of the 8 speed transmission.

If I was to guess, I'd guess you aren't to far off if you ran the 3.21 rear. I will probably be ordering a 3.55 in mine, and I am expecting to get 15 city 20 highway and 13 towing with that setup.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-17-2012, 4:02 AM Reply   
I have a 2012 with a little over 7,000 miles on it now. I have not had any problems as of yet and hope not too. I replaced my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 with around 200,000 and no issues. Someone ran a stop sign and t-bhoned me so insurance totaled it out. That truck would only get around 12.5 mpg no matter what. Around town, highway and towing. The new truck I average 16-17mpg around town and around 18 on the highway as long as I keep it under 75. The truck is a crew cab 5.7 4x4. All i have added is an air intake. Mine is loaded. Got it in August out the door around 34,500. I liked the Fords but they were not willing to deal. For the same thing as far as options the ford was around 45,000 - 50,000$.
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-05-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
I thought I would report here my latest mpg results. Initially I was pretty disappointed in my mileage results with a combined City/Highway of about 12 MPG. I know have just over 3,200 miles on the truck and am getting a solid 18 MPG combined. I have only towed the boat once so I don't have good numbers yet. The one trip I did tow the boat, 139 miles round trip, I hand calculated at 16 MPG. Only about half that trip was up a small incline out of the Phoenix Valley and the remainder was back down into the valley with the truck running in Eco Mode about 30% of the time. I did install a UnderCover Flex tonneau cover so that may or may not effect my MPG. So far everything is very good and I am happy.

The one quirk that I have had is the fuel tank. I have a 32 gallon tank, but when it says empty, I can only put in about 22 gallons of gas.
Old    kx250frider617            02-05-2013, 4:43 PM Reply   
If you can only fit 22 gallons then you have the 26 gallon tank. When Im on E, gas light on, and the DTE at 0 miles, I can fit around 22-23 gallons.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-06-2013, 7:37 AM Reply   
i test drove a 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn edition the other day. LOVED IT!! Dealer and I couldn't get to a number that i wanted to pay, but it was by far the sweetest truck I have ever driven. I currently have the 6.2L in my Silverado and it pulls like a freight train, but gas mileage is around 15.6 mixed city / highway (about 70/30 ). The Hemi was very close to the 6.2 power wise (i think the 6.2 still has a little more grunt), but the Hemi definately has better gas mileage. I always thought the Chevy had the best ride, bu that Ram was very good.
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-06-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Jordan,
Some of the Rams from 2009-2012 use the same sending unit in the 32 gallon tank as they do in the 26 gallon tank. You still have approximately 8 gallons in the tank but the truck thinks you are almost empty. The fuel tank uses gas to cool the pump, so they reportedly did this on purpose to keep the fuel pump completely submerged although I'm not sure I buy this explanation. I can drive on empty for almost a week to and from work, if I do this I have got about 30 gallons in it.

Preston,
The reason for the good ride is the coil springs in the rear. Using coils in the rear lessens the payload some, beware of that.
Old     (jkclay83)      Join Date: May 2011       06-18-2014, 2:10 PM Reply   
Ok... Let's reopen this thread.... I've wanted a F150 FX4 ecoboost for sometime now and I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 2014.... However, I test drove a 2014 RAM laramie crew cab 5.7 HEMI today and was very impressed... The truck had the 3.92 gears and 8 speed trans.

I like the exterior of the Ford better no doubt but didn't mind the RAM. I hands down liked the interior of the RAM better... Has anyone been driving these 8 speed RAMS?? Does anyone want to chime in on my dilemma? Window sticker is 53k for the RAM what should I be looking to pay?

I am planning to make a decision in the next few days...
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-18-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
for 53K you can get a 3/4 or 1 ton ram with the cummins We paid 45k for our 2012 Ram 3500 laramie